Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 days in Paris! (8 photos)
Posted By: mikerigel, 06-13-2008, 07:24 AM

We had some family members on vacation and we had to show them Paris, so here's a few shots of our week there. I was trying hard to do more than just the typical parisian shots...

All taken with K20D, Sigma 17-70mm and DA* 50-135mm.

0.70s f/2.8 at 135.0mm iso400

1/2s f/22.0 at 17.0mm iso100

1/1000s f/3.5 at 50.0mm iso100

1/750s f/5.6 at 135.0mm iso200

1/60s f/8.0 at 37.0mm iso200

1/500s f/2.8 at 135.0mm iso200

1/90s f/9.5 at 17.0mm iso400

1s f/6.7 at 123.0mm iso100

Comments welcome.
More photos here: Pentax K20D Photo Gallery by Michael Erard at pbase.com

Last edited by mikerigel; 06-13-2008 at 07:31 AM.
Views: 2,832
06-13-2008, 11:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Five days and you only got eight shots??? Just kidding. I like 'em. Gotta get myself to Paris someday. Flew in and out once on the way from Johannesburg to Los Angeles, but if I don't get out of the airport, I don't count it as a place I visited. Been trying to brush up on my French, but it is so difficult to learn.

At first, I thought the shot of the couple strolling down the lane was overexposed. Then I scrolled down to show the whole image. That one looks like a good candidate for some pseudo-HDR processing.

--- edited to add ---

Viewed your pbase gallery. Nice images. The one you labeled "Photo time" gave me a laugh. Perfect body posture to take a picture . . . crossed legs, stooped over, arms away from your body. The perfect example of how not to do it!

Paris sure is a big city. In Rome last year, we could pretty much walk to every place we wanted to visit. Doesn't like we could in Paris.

Last edited by volosong; 06-13-2008 at 11:09 AM.
06-13-2008, 11:57 AM   #3
Damn Brit

Love the lighting in the first shot Mike and great use of negative space on the last one.
Gary
06-13-2008, 01:11 PM   #4
Igilligan

I find I agree with Damn Brit

but my absolute fave is this one.... this really make me want to get this lens!

06-13-2008, 01:18 PM   #5

Great pics! My faves are 4, 5, and 7.
06-13-2008, 03:46 PM   #6
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
I think we have a foot fetishist on the forum. Must introduce you to my father in law Gus.
Gary
06-16-2008, 07:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

sweet photos Mike! i wish i had my pentax when i was in paris
look forward to more

06-16-2008, 07:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Great series

I really like the first shot--reminds me of Moulin Rouge (the Baz Luhrmann version). I don't know why. That was the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw the photo. I'm soooo glad my DA*50-135 arrives Wednesday morning. I plan to give it a workout this weekend and next week.

The shot from the top of the tower reminds me of when I was there last year. I spent two days in Paris after spending 10 days in Vannes. There were strange people all over the place around the Tower, shouting at each other and cars were backed up for blocks. I didn't know if it was a riot or just another Tuesday in Paris.

My take on the world is that a genuine smile along with many "thank you's" and "please's" get you a long way. I learn the language well enough to read the menus and the train schedules and then rely on human kindness. I do my best to return the favor to the German and Italian tourists who breeze through my home town along Route 66.
06-16-2008, 07:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

^^^^ Funny you mention that as by looking at your avatar you have simliar features to Baz Luhrmann

cheers
06-16-2008, 08:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
^^^^ Funny you mention that as by looking at your avatar you have simliar features to Baz Luhrmanns
I have an avatar??? .... Oh, sure enough. I have those turned off because some j*ck*ss had an animated avatar when these forums got started. I turned them off and haven't had a reason to start them back up.

That was me about 3 years ago, having just got the *ist DS. Baz has that "distinguished gray hair" thing going on while mine is still mostly the original color. Then again, he gets to hang out with Nicole Kidman and he had a song on the billboard charts. If making the resemblance will get me invited over to Nicole and Keith's place for cocktails, then I'm all for it.
06-16-2008, 08:30 PM   #11
Veteran Member

*sigh* Paris!

I really love the view of the Fontaine de Trocadero down the tower! wow!

Pat
06-17-2008, 03:16 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
Five days and you only got eight shots??? Just kidding. I like 'em. Gotta get myself to Paris someday. Flew in and out once on the way from Johannesburg to Los Angeles, but if I don't get out of the airport, I don't count it as a place I visited. Been trying to brush up on my French, but it is so difficult to learn.

At first, I thought the shot of the couple strolling down the lane was overexposed. Then I scrolled down to show the whole image. That one looks like a good candidate for some pseudo-HDR processing.

--- edited to add ---

Viewed your pbase gallery. Nice images. The one you labeled "Photo time" gave me a laugh. Perfect body posture to take a picture . . . crossed legs, stooped over, arms away from your body. The perfect example of how not to do it!

Paris sure is a big city. In Rome last year, we could pretty much walk to every place we wanted to visit. Doesn't like we could in Paris.
Lol, I actually have about 900 shots.. Paris is a lovely city and a gold mine for photographers... The photo you're talking about was right in front of Notre Dame, she was so funny and I only had a few seconds to catch her.
You can walk everywhere in Paris but you'll be dead after a couple days... it's such a huge city and you can waste so much time just going places.. the subway is great for that.
06-17-2008, 03:23 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Love the lighting in the first shot Mike and great use of negative space on the last one.
Gary
Thank you Gary

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
I really like that one too, get the lens, it's a gem!

QuoteOriginally posted by darthku Quote
Great pics! My faves are 4, 5, and 7.
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
sweet photos Mike! i wish i had my pentax when i was in paris
look forward to more
Thanks, there's much more on my pbase page.

QuoteOriginally posted by ericc Quote
I really like the first shot--reminds me of Moulin Rouge (the Baz Luhrmann version). I don't know why. That was the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw the photo. I'm soooo glad my DA*50-135 arrives Wednesday morning. I plan to give it a workout this weekend and next week.

The shot from the top of the tower reminds me of when I was there last year. I spent two days in Paris after spending 10 days in Vannes. There were strange people all over the place around the Tower, shouting at each other and cars were backed up for blocks. I didn't know if it was a riot or just another Tuesday in Paris.

My take on the world is that a genuine smile along with many "thank you's" and "please's" get you a long way. I learn the language well enough to read the menus and the train schedules and then rely on human kindness. I do my best to return the favor to the German and Italian tourists who breeze through my home town along Route 66.
Congrats on getting the lens, you gonna love it! Paris sure is an interesting city, full of strange people as you say.. specially at places like the tower. It's great though!
06-17-2008, 03:32 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
*sigh* Paris!

I really love the view of the Fontaine de Trocadero down the tower! wow!

Pat
That is truely a great shot indeed ... I love it.
It's an amazing capture ... I'd be too scared to hang my camera over the edge like that ... let alone look down into the viewfinder without my stomach doing a double-flip.
06-17-2008, 05:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Nice series. I like the second shot and the Louvre