Odonata, odonata, odonata, odonata

I shot some bugs, and odonata was their name
Since they left me, I've never shot the same
'Cause I love my bugs, Odonata
Oh where can they? Where can they be?

Views: 800
07-02-2015, 06:56 PM   #2
Pentaxian

That's hilarious...lift the hook from "My Sharona" and you'll be cooking with gas.

A great set, also: the first is the standout for me.
07-02-2015, 07:49 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks!

The first is my fave, too. Its an elegant-looking dragonfly, and the dark region above the thorax reminds me of mahogany.
07-03-2015, 03:23 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Crisp detailed shots with good use of lighting.

07-03-2015, 05:12 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some fantastic shots with exceptional clarity! I'm curious, what do you use for processing? I've tried to get this look with my macros but can't do it.
07-04-2015, 08:39 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

wonderful photos you captured.
07-04-2015, 09:05 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you for the kind words, fellas!

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Some fantastic shots with exceptional clarity! I'm curious, what do you use for processing? I've tried to get this look with my macros but can't do it.
Funny that you are asking me, because you make absolutely wonderful images. I use DXO Optics Pro, and tweak color/contrast sharpness. I had interesting lighting for the photos, and I think that because they are not real macros I had the opportunity to take better advantage of the available light. I think if I had attempted real macros on the first two subjects they would have turned out a bit flat.

Pic #1 - the dragonfly was in the shade, the sky was cloudy but fairly bright. I thought the bright reflections of the sky in the wings looked really good - if anything, it was even more pronounced in life than it is in the photo.

#2 - cloudy sky and a bit dim, but I was on water's edge so the reflecting of the sky on the water provided a bit of under-lighting, which helps the dragonfly stand out.

#3 - basically a natural vignette from the shadows of the leaves & grass, while the damselfly was in the sunlight.

#4 - nice early evening sunshine.
07-05-2015, 01:11 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Thank you for the kind words, fellas!

Funny that you are asking me, because you make absolutely wonderful images. I use DXO Optics Pro, and tweak color/contrast sharpness. I had interesting lighting for the photos, and I think that because they are not real macros I had the opportunity to take better advantage of the available light. I think if I had attempted real macros on the first two subjects they would have turned out a bit flat.

Pic #1 - the dragonfly was in the shade, the sky was cloudy but fairly bright. I thought the bright reflections of the sky in the wings looked really good - if anything, it was even more pronounced in life than it is in the photo.

#2 - cloudy sky and a bit dim, but I was on water's edge so the reflecting of the sky on the water provided a bit of under-lighting, which helps the dragonfly stand out.

#3 - basically a natural vignette from the shadows of the leaves & grass, while the damselfly was in the sunlight.

#4 - nice early evening sunshine.
Thanks for the compliment!!
I'm not familiar with DXO Optics Pro - do you use it as a standalone or plugin with Lightroom or Photoshop?
I guess lighting is the key. Really nice work!
Tripod or handheld?

07-06-2015, 03:07 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Thanks for the compliment!!
I'm not familiar with DXO Optics Pro - do you use it as a standalone or plugin with Lightroom or Photoshop?
I guess lighting is the key. Really nice work!
Tripod or handheld?
DXO Optics Pro will interface with Lightroom, although I don't use it. After DXO develops the RAW file, I have it automatically send it to Photoshop for final tweaking - essentially, I use it as a substitute for ACR.

All handheld, I'm just not a good tripod user except for the occasional landscape or long exposure shot.