Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Like Father, Like Daughter
Lens: DA 15, FA 31 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Our Sweltering Texas Driveway 
Posted By: Sailor, 07-03-2015, 03:50 PM

A few weeks ago, my older daughter, Abbie - who inherited an interest in cars from me - bought a new VW GTI with a 6-spd manual tranny. On Father's Day, she and I (along with my wife and son-in-law) gave it the full treatment of wash, polish and wax. Here are a few pics of the finished product.

I've never been keen on the "feel" of FWD cars and it's been literally decades since I drove a VW, but I have to say this little guy is an exceptionally satisfying drive - accurate steering, crisp turn in, no torque steer and nicely controlled body motion - and the 2.0 L turbo 4 is very smooth and quick.

Jer

Views: 1,220
07-03-2015, 05:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice lookin' ride buddy, it is certainly not the VW that I remember.
07-03-2015, 10:34 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I prefer picture 1 - the other two make it look like there is a tree growing out of the car.

When I first drove a VW my response was: "How do you write a requirement: 'Shall be refined'." It was different model but I understand your comments on the feel. That one looks like one of my friends o/s bought for his sons.
07-03-2015, 11:52 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
She should be happy with that one and a nice colour as well.

07-04-2015, 01:11 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice car. The GTI goes really well. But that is only from road tests that I have read. I have not driven but I would like to.
07-04-2015, 05:59 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Nice lookin' ride buddy, it is certainly not the VW that I remember.
It's a pretty cool little car, brother Bob - I'm pretty sure she'll enjoy it. Also, Claire likes it!!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I prefer picture 1 - the other two make it look like there is a tree growing out of the car.

When I first drove a VW my response was: "How do you write a requirement: 'Shall be refined'." It was different model but I understand your comments on the feel. That one looks like one of my friends o/s bought for his sons.
I tried my damnedest to move that tree but it wouldn't budge. A good thing really, my wife would have been irritated.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
She should be happy with that one and a nice colour as well.
I think she will, EM. It's a fun little drive.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
Nice car. The GTI goes really well. But that is only from road tests that I have read. I have not driven but I would like to.
Ray, I was surprised at the smooth responsiveness of the motor - very impressive, especially for a relatively inexpensive car.

Jer
07-04-2015, 12:14 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
It's a pretty cool little car, brother Bob - I'm pretty sure she'll enjoy it. Also, Claire likes it!!
Well if Claire likes it, you know it's OK. She's seen plenty of top cars over the years.

07-04-2015, 12:46 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Very nice car. Your daughter chose well, in her selection of a motorcar. A friend of mine lives in New York state, has a VW GTI mit standard transmission.

He's an old guy like me and says his sports sedan V Dub, is wonderful on the winding back roads of upstate New York. Nothing quite like a good handling, responsive sports sedan on a challenging road.

Takes me back to the '60's. My first car was a '61 VW beetle. Unfortunately nothing very sporty about it. But I experimented with improving the handling, by changing the front-rear weight distribution, with what I thought was judicious placement of sandbags wrapped in denim (old jeans).

On Sunday mornings I would take my long suffering Beetle out to the snow and ice covered store parking lots and practice throwing the car into drifts and hopefully steering out of these sometimes lurid slides. Back then in the '60's, there was no Sunday shopping and the large store parking lots were empty. After about 15 minutes of drifting, I would move on to another parking lot, just in case someone called the police.

After awhile, I would determine where best to place the sandbags (in the front trunk by the spare tire) and have a better handling VW.

Fortunately your daughter's GTI comes from the factory with all the 'engineering' done.

BTW, I like all the photos, particularly the first one...nice angle for the shot.

Also, happy July 4 th to Americans. Speaking as a Canuck, I find we are very lucky to have America as our neighbours.
07-04-2015, 01:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Great lookin' ride! Congratulations to her on an excellent choice! I test drove a new Audi TT a few weeks ago, which has a lot of VW parts in the engineering and drive train, and it was sweet...except for the auto transmission which I was not fond of. Still waiting for Mrs Rupert to retire before I make a decision, but I've been so pleased with my little silver TT it will most likely be a VW or Audi product I purchase....or to be more accurate...Mrs Rupert purchases!

Regards!
07-06-2015, 10:48 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Well if Claire likes it, you know it's OK. She's seen plenty of top cars over the years.
Yup, old buddy, she knows her cars!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Very nice car. Your daughter chose well, in her selection of a motorcar. A friend of mine lives in New York state, has a VW GTI mit standard transmission.

He's an old guy like me and says his sports sedan V Dub, is wonderful on the winding back roads of upstate New York. Nothing quite like a good handling, responsive sports sedan on a challenging road.

Takes me back to the '60's. My first car was a '61 VW beetle. Unfortunately nothing very sporty about it. But I experimented with improving the handling, by changing the front-rear weight distribution, with what I thought was judicious placement of sandbags wrapped in denim (old jeans).

On Sunday mornings I would take my long suffering Beetle out to the snow and ice covered store parking lots and practice throwing the car into drifts and hopefully steering out of these sometimes lurid slides. Back then in the '60's, there was no Sunday shopping and the large store parking lots were empty. After about 15 minutes of drifting, I would move on to another parking lot, just in case someone called the police.

After awhile, I would determine where best to place the sandbags (in the front trunk by the spare tire) and have a better handling VW.

Fortunately your daughter's GTI comes from the factory with all the 'engineering' done.

BTW, I like all the photos, particularly the first one...nice angle for the shot.

Also, happy July 4 th to Americans. Speaking as a Canuck, I find we are very lucky to have America as our neighbours.
Thanks, Les, for the kind words and the great recollection.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Great lookin' ride! Congratulations to her on an excellent choice! I test drove a new Audi TT a few weeks ago, which has a lot of VW parts in the engineering and drive train, and it was sweet...except for the auto transmission which I was not fond of. Still waiting for Mrs Rupert to retire before I make a decision, but I've been so pleased with my little silver TT it will most likely be a VW or Audi product I purchase....or to be more accurate...Mrs Rupert purchases!

Regards!
Thanks Rupert. We spent the weekend with the "kids" and I drove the car again this morning - an impressive little devil for sure.

Jer
07-06-2015, 10:55 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No doubt, VW has developed some nice cars during the last years, and that one is just great!
I'm sure everbody will love this ride!
Take care Jer
07-06-2015, 12:29 PM   #12
Pentaxian

A snazzy looking ride there Jer and a great job of presenting it.---capn zap
07-06-2015, 03:25 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good pics of a hot compact.

The Yo! MTV Raps shirt gives me a twinge of nostalgia - even though I've never liked rap music
07-06-2015, 03:39 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
No doubt, VW has developed some nice cars during the last years, and that one is just great!
I'm sure everbody will love this ride!
Take care Jer
She's certainly excited about it, Norbert. Thanks for looking, buddy.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
A snazzy looking ride there Jer and a great job of presenting it.---capn zap
Hey, Capn, I appreciate it - as always.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Good pics of a hot compact.

The Yo! MTV Raps shirt gives me a twinge of nostalgia - even though I've never liked rap music
Thanks much. I didn't even notice the shirt ; I don't think she's a fan of rap either, so I don't know what the shirt's about.

Jer