Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A ghostly self portrait
Posted By: little laker, 06-13-2008, 05:32 PM

Sorry this was taken with my Sigma SD14.

It pretty much came straight from the camera looking like that.

To get the effect I used a combination of remote filters, and a weird manual white balance setting.
I didn't have the faintest idea how it would really turn out, but it's more or less the final effect I wanted.
With the exception of, I thought I'd have to layer it for the effect

That car happens to be one of my future projects. A 1927 Essex. Essex was owned by Hudson, so it also looks like a Hudson from that era
Views: 1,879
06-13-2008, 05:35 PM   #2
Syb
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow. You get the impression that the picture is taken by night, but given the series of filters, it might just as well have been in broad daylight!

Nice effect!
06-13-2008, 05:41 PM   #3
Damn Brit

Nice work Stu, I like the greenish cast to the shot, makes me think of ectoplasm. Perfect timing with that cloud surrounding the top of the car.
When you do get round to working on the car, might I suggest trying to shoehorn a Prius engine into it?
Gary
06-13-2008, 05:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Syb Quote
Wow. You get the impression that the picture is taken by night, but given the series of filters, it might just as well have been in broad daylight!

Nice effect!
Thanks Syb,
I just wish that I would have worn some period clothing for it

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Nice work Stu, I like the greenish cast to the shot, makes me think of ectoplasm. Perfect timing with that cloud surrounding the top of the car.
When you do get round to working on the car, might I suggest trying to shoehorn a Prius engine into it?
Gary
Thanks Gary,
I actually have a full powerplant for it. As in a 1985 Nissan Diesel pickup. It was my mom's pickup, and runs like new, however it's rusted out. And she got a mint newer model brought in from Japan.
It got 50mpg, powering the heavy pickup down the road, so it should do better than that with a light car.

06-13-2008, 07:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

What a wild shot! Nice work and I have to say you are younger then I thought. Not sure why but I thought for sure you were much older from some previous pictures. Or maybe I am thinking of someone else. Back to the picture, as said very cool and creative.
06-13-2008, 08:06 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Very cool effect... nicely done Stu! I do enjoy those "out of the norm" images, and this is one of those!

Regards,
Marc
06-13-2008, 08:14 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stu,

Now that is really cool. Very intriguing image.

Stephen
06-13-2008, 09:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
What a wild shot! Nice work and I have to say you are younger then I thought. Not sure why but I thought for sure you were much older from some previous pictures. Or maybe I am thinking of someone else. Back to the picture, as said very cool and creative.
Thanks Pat,
I'm actually 39, going on 13 one day and 80 the next

I don't know if I can replicate the effects I got with this pic this time
Although I might try someday soon.

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
Very cool effect... nicely done Stu! I do enjoy those "out of the norm" images, and this is one of those!

Regards,
Marc
Thanks Marc

QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
Stu,

Now that is really cool. Very intriguing image.

Stephen
Thanks Stephen,

I might see if I can do something like it tomorrow, if I have the time.

06-13-2008, 10:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

It is a pretty cool shot Stu, I like it.
06-13-2008, 11:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

That is very moody and a little spooky. You look like a teenager there!
06-14-2008, 02:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I like it, fine shot.
I also had one picture come out good, which was a lot because of wrong White Balance, (though not as thoughtfully planned as yours). I still need luck to get the good pictures :ugh:
07-09-2008, 11:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was honored when a lovely watercolour artist asked me if she could paint this photo today

I of course said Yes, and it sounds like I'll get a copy of her work in return.

She then took a look at my web site, and sent me this e-mail (some editing done)
QuoteQuote:
OMG your work is AWESOME....truly the scenery i love to paint. I go to continuous art classes year round held by an Austrailan teach on Bernard Ave, Kel. We have seasonal breaks which i'm on for the summer, but if u don't mind i wanna try and paint a few. For one the *** pic and the nature scenes and flowers, if u don't mind. This is exactly what I am looking for, will be prepared for the fall, if that's ok with u. I'm sooooooooooooooooo THRILLED. Your living in Midway, very picturesque. I love Midway, I use to go to the collectable stores and find all sorts of goodies!!! Maybe i could drive there and meet u sometime soon. I could do that. Keep in touch and thanks again, Stu Brown.,
Sincerely, H***** P*****r
I told her that I'd be honored, and that I'm living in Kelowna now making it easier to meet up
07-10-2008, 03:38 AM   #13
Veteran Member

This is a great news. She is taking advantage of you having the colour and mood already depicted in this shot. She will have to be very good not to ruin it!
07-10-2008, 08:45 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow great effect Stu, looks like something from the X-files. Congrats on the 'modeling' gig.
07-10-2008, 10:03 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
This is a great news. She is taking advantage of you having the colour and mood already depicted in this shot. She will have to be very good not to ruin it!
Thanks James,

I don't mind if some women take advantage of me the right way
To me it'll look great, as long as she puts some honest effort into her work.
Which I know she will

Not many people, that I've heard of with less than 2 years real experience with a SLR camera get that sort of honor from another artist
It proves that all the hard work can pay off.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Wow great effect Stu, looks like something from the X-files. Congrats on the 'modeling' gig.
Thanks Dave,
See what happens when I'm on the wrong side of the camera