Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Mushroom pickers: are these King Boletes/penny buns/prawdziwki?
Lens: A 50 f/2.8 Macro Camera: K-3 Photo Location: New England ISO: 100 
Posted By: Fat Albert, 07-12-2015, 08:56 AM

I picked these yesterday while out for a walk with the dog, and I almost fell over when I saw them. They're HUGE. I'm fairly certain they're Boletus edulis, aka King Bolete, penny bun, cepe, porcini, prawdziwek, etc.

The problem is that they're very uncommon in the eastern United States and it's a bit early in the season for them as well. I've never actually seen them in the US, for that matter...only in Poland. The Poles have a word for the false bolete: szatan, and those are extremely bitter. Mushroom lovers know that the King Bolete is the holy grail of edible mushrooms. However, we all know that the statement, "I'm sure that this is mushroom [x]" has been famous last words for many, many people. Granted, there are no deadly poisonous boletes, but the wrong ones can certainly cause untold misery for a few days.

Euro Pentaxians: what do you think? I nibbled a tiny piece and it was not bitter at all. There was no bluing, bruising or staining.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Views: 766
07-12-2015, 09:41 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Definitly it is not porcini(Boletus edulis) - bottom side of hat has a different structure.
07-12-2015, 10:18 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chetverovod Quote
Definitly it is not porcini(Boletus edulis) - bottom side of hat has a different structure.
Yeah, the porcini seems to be 'fuller'--like a convex lens profile when the cap is viewed sideways. This specimen doesn't have that fullness.
07-12-2015, 12:33 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I went back to the same spot today, and found this monster. Now THIS one looks like it could be B. edulis!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo