Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Critique my portrait
Lens: M 100 f/4 Macro Camera: K-5 ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: Venom3300, 07-12-2015, 07:28 PM

Taken on a tripod with self time, as I am in the photo.... Portrait photography isn't what I normally do, so anything you see that could have been improved, please suggest.

Views: 1,147
07-12-2015, 07:34 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Could use more attention to hair (yours) and straps (hers). Otherwise very nice.
07-12-2015, 07:39 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a pretty good effort..... I'm not sure about the crop, or if it's not a crop, then maybe you should have moved back more. But you can never tell. You could have had a larger image and ended up with the same crop or you have a larger image and that was the crop you wanted. I find using the 12 second timer is kind of more like a selfie than a portrait. I tend tithing of portraits as more involved. Both in terms of location planning and report with the subject. But what you got is quite good.

I noticed the strap too... braless for these shoots I say... but as for the hair, how far do you want to go?. it's not a studio shot, to me it just looks like you're outdoors. You could make it a lot more formal... but on a 12 second timer, I'm not sure you'll do better.

A general rule for portraits...
Both your shoulders are too square to the camera, a light angle makes you look skinnier, and helps get rid of that 10 pounds the camera adds.

Last edited by normhead; 07-12-2015 at 07:45 PM.
07-12-2015, 08:04 PM   #4
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On the one hand, it is a nice shot, and hopefully one that will bring back memories for years to come.

If I want to get picky, I'll take issue with the lighting. There are some bright spots on the woman's cheeks and forehead and her right shoulder. Her skin tones are all over the map. These are things you could fix in PP if you care.

Reasonable choice of ISO/aperture to keep the two of you in focus without bringing up the background.

I'd say you got more right than wrong.

07-12-2015, 08:51 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Could use more attention to hair (yours)
Haircut. For sure.
07-13-2015, 05:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
On the one hand, it is a nice shot, and hopefully one that will bring back memories for years to come.

If I want to get picky, I'll take issue with the lighting. There are some bright spots on the woman's cheeks and forehead and her right shoulder. Her skin tones are all over the map. These are things you could fix in PP if you care.

Reasonable choice of ISO/aperture to keep the two of you in focus without bringing up the background.

I'd say you got more right than wrong.

There's not much I could add to MSL's comments. Maybe try for a little more "dramatic" lighting? And I don't have a problem with your hair. Those who have a receding hairline might be jealous?
07-13-2015, 08:43 AM   #7

Frankly, I think your hair looks great. I wish I had it. And the strap bothers anyone? Oh my goodness.....that's real life. And easily cloned out in post if the two of you don't like it.

The bright spots were the only thing that bothers me. A cheap reflector might do the trick, but also it might be fixable in post. A nice moment captured here....and may you two always be as happy as you are in this photo.

07-13-2015, 09:03 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Looks to me like you are facing into the sun. Both are squinting a little. Bright highlights. Maybe turn 45 degrees out of the sun.
07-14-2015, 06:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the comments guys. Its appreciated.
07-14-2015, 07:07 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What lens and f/stop did you use? I like it - it's very natural looking which I prefer for what this appears to be. I think the hair and bra strap are fine - but only if that's the best essence of who the two of you are. To take that without having to run back and forth you might try the optical remote. It's pretty easy to hide out of frame and still get the shot.
07-14-2015, 07:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
What lens and f/stop did you use? I like it - it's very natural looking which I prefer for what this appears to be. I think the hair and bra strap are fine - but only if that's the best essence of who the two of you are. To take that without having to run back and forth you might try the optical remote. It's pretty easy to hide out of frame and still get the shot.
Pentax M-100 F/4 Macro shot at F/5.6.

Certainly the bra strap and hair should be fixed. These are just things that didn't really cross my mind since I am normally shooting wildlife and birds or landscapes. So it was just oversight/inexperience on my part.

I also have a remote, but sadly it was not with me at the time.
07-14-2015, 07:39 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Venom3300 Quote
Pentax M-100 F/4 Macro shot at F/5.6.

Certainly the bra strap and hair should be fixed. These are just things that didn't really cross my mind since I am normally shooting wildlife and birds or landscapes. So it was just oversight/inexperience on my part.

I also have a remote, but sadly it was not with me at the time.
LOL - if you think they need fixing - they need fixing. But honestly it's a sweet portrait of the real life people in the photo as they are.