Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Avebury
Lens: Samyang 8mm Camera: IR-modified K-7 Photo Location: Avebury,UK 
Posted By: karma mechanic, 07-14-2015, 01:26 PM

Today I visited a place that I haven't been to for years, Avebury.
It hasn't changed much in that time, although the rest of the world has certainly changed in the 6000 years or so since it was built.

Even the more recent changes (i.e.trees from the last few hundred years) seem to have a slightly creepy air...

Mostly there were too many people to take pictures, but at one point the couples and the families gradually evaporated, the kids went elsewhere, and all of a sudden I was alone in a bronze-age landscape.
We know a little bit about how it was all done, but as for the people who built the largest stone circle in the world - we don't even know what they called themselves...
Views: 932
07-14-2015, 02:11 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Good imagery, I'm a standing stone circle kinda guy too, we have several good sets up here in the Highlands and Islands.
07-14-2015, 02:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I like that standing stone shot (and hope to get a few in Scotland next week). How do you like that Samyang lens?
07-14-2015, 03:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Cool!

07-15-2015, 02:28 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
I like that standing stone shot (and hope to get a few in Scotland next week). How do you like that Samyang lens?
I tend to use the 8mm exclusively. That might seem strange, but it suits what I do, and with many subjects there isn't much 'fisheye' distortion - both the images above are uncropped and unstraightened.
It helps that it is scarily sharp, doesn't really need focussing, and works extremely well in IR.

The other way I use it is to take several shots and stitch to get up to 360 degree images. Taken at the same time as above but a much wider view even compared to the 'normal' 8mm view:

07-15-2015, 02:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Impressive! I can't decide witch one i like better... Purely photowise the trees, but the background story "sells" the stones as well Very nice work! (as the stitched one posted later as well)
07-15-2015, 07:45 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I always dig your photos and these are no exception. The first one puts me in a science fiction mood - ironic since it's about ancient history. The second one - the ominous trees in row - made me think of the four horsemen. Maybe I've been out in the hot Texas sun too long.

Jer

07-15-2015, 07:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by karma mechanic Quote
I tend to use the 8mm exclusively. That might seem strange, but it suits what I do, and with many subjects there isn't much 'fisheye' distortion - both the images above are uncropped and unstraightened.
It helps that it is scarily sharp, doesn't really need focussing, and works extremely well in IR.

The other way I use it is to take several shots and stitch to get up to 360 degree images. Taken at the same time as above but a much wider view even compared to the 'normal' 8mm view:
Really like this one, wreaking with texture. Great subject. B&W great choice.
07-15-2015, 10:29 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow your second shot is not only wonderful, but different from any other photo I can recall.
07-16-2015, 05:04 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Awesome! I know those trees!

Hmm...on closer inspection, not the same trees?
Has the soil eroded in the 5 years since I took mine?

Interesting.
07-16-2015, 05:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

A place like this is as close as we will ever get to magic in our materialistic times - well done.

BTW they look like ancient European Beech trees - correct?