Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Let's try to identify the dodotross again... this time with a better picture.
Lens: Sigma 75-300mm f/4-5.6 DL Macro Camera: Pentax K-50 Photo Location: Prince Gallitzin State Park, Fallentimber, PA 16639 Aperture: F7.1 
Posted By: Auzzie-Phoenix, 07-14-2015, 11:41 PM

I went out on the kayak this past Saturday after I completed my work shift. I only obtained ONE decent picture the entire day, and wouldn't you know it... it was of the Dodotross again. At least that's what I've been calling it until someone is able to identify it. Last time, the pics weren't so good, so let's try with a better image. I ran the RAW through silkypix, and then resampled it to 25% of original in Corel Photo-Paint.

I managed to get rather close to it. The sigma was being a bear with its autofocus, so I had to manual focus this thing... a real pain on a moving kayak with a heavy lens.
Views: 935
07-14-2015, 11:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice pic. Good pose, good focus, especially well-done considering you were on a moving kayak!

It's a double-crested cormorant.
07-15-2015, 12:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Very nice pic. Good pose, good focus, especially well-done considering you were on a moving kayak!

It's a double-crested cormorant.
Thanks for identifying the dodotross... lol. So many non-native species this year (it's a 50-60 year old manmade lake, so nothing is technically native to the area, but a few species moreso than others). The bird was perched on that downed tree for some time... I had seen it swimming earlier. Once the bald eagle was flying around looking for food the cormorant just kept its wings stretched and sort of half flapped them a bit. It stayed there for some time, and when I got near it I had been less than 20 feet away by the time I took this particular image. I have found that the autofocus in the k-50 likes to lock onto the closest part of anything, so I tend to get bits and pieces sharp, and the rest blurry, so manual focus is more reliable for a decent image. Unfortunately it also is very difficult to accomplish out on the water.