Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Playing around
Lens: DA* 55 Camera: K-3 Shutter Speed: 1/2500s 
Posted By: kyricom, 07-16-2015, 01:02 PM

Playing around with my new K-3. Finally upgraded from the K-7 and I LOVE it (although still have lots to learn).

Last edited by kyricom; 04-08-2016 at 07:08 PM.
Views: 577
07-16-2015, 02:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I`m always intrigued by frozen events like this. Can you tell us what you used to get the moment? Not likely luck! Awesome shots.
07-16-2015, 03:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Cool! Tell us how you did it
07-16-2015, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the interest. I've always thought these "frozen" kind of shots were a lot of fun. Believe it or not, this shot was taken outside on a very sunny day (that way I don't have to use a flash etc.). I used some Duct tape to fasten a black sheet on our garage door. On the ground, I put a piece of plywood (makes sweeping up the broken glass much easier), with a flat (about 8x14") concrete brick. Then I covered that with the sheet. I found in the past that the brick was needed because light bulbs were MUCH sturdier than I was expecting, and I would drop them and they would just bounce away if there was only the wood.

Then, I put the camera on a tripod and laid a light bulb on the ground so I could focus on where they would break. The legs on the tripod weren't extended so it was fairly close to the ground. I had the camera set for remote triggering, on continuous burst. Make sure you set the camera to center spot metering, as that makes the background disappear and appear black. Without doing that the sheet is too obvious. The camera is set on f 9.0, with 1/2500 shutter speed. You could play around with the aperture and shutter speed for how bright it is where you're taking it, but like I said, this was a nice sunny, bright day.

You simply hold the bulbs up above the brick while standing to the side (but in front of the tripod). I have the bulbs in my right hand (I'm right-handed) and the remote in my left hand. I'm 6' tall and stand to the side and hold them a bit above my head. Then, I trigger the camera and immediately drop the bulbs. The camera will take ten or so shots. You'll delete a lot of them as it will have before the bulbs get to the ground, and after it's already broken. But those shots in the middle can be a lot of fun. In post-production, play with the levels and curves etc. to make the blacks blacker and the bursts stand out.

HAVE FUN! :-D

07-16-2015, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like a lot of fun and you got some nice results. I want to give this a try... thanks!
07-16-2015, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No kidding, I had it figured for a laser trigger and high speed flash. But then, the last time I was in on anything like this it was almost 40 years ago on film, in the dark, with a motor drive, flash, and luck. DSLRs make this easier and I think more predictable. We had a slower shutter on a Spotmatic and had to wait until the slide film was processed to see if there was much useful on it.
So, the much faster available shutterspeed and burst rate enables a simpler approach....hmmm...daylight...never saw that coming but then I only got started in digital recently so thanks for the lesson.
07-17-2015, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yeah, I thought there was more to the timing than that too. Thanks for the shots and the how-to!