Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Potholes do have their uses........
Lens: Bigma Camera: K3 Photo Location: Alnerta, Canada ISO: 800 Aperture: F7.1 
Posted By: Heinrich Lohmann, 07-16-2015, 09:01 PM

....only for the birds. Early one morning I was driving along a back road after a night of rain and came across the following scene. Not far from the road, just across a small meadow was a rather large stand of aspens, I guess that's where they were nesting.

Cedar Waxwings

Comments are always welcome and appreciated.
Views: 1,087
07-16-2015, 09:18 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Heinrich, you always have such great clarity and color in your images. A couple are almost 3D to my eye, enjoyed them all.
07-17-2015, 10:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Amazingly colorful bird. Your images are very sharp! Bravo.
07-17-2015, 10:30 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Great images Hienrich, I've seen Cedar Waxwings once in 6 years living up here. And never anywhere near my house. Once we found a pair on an obscure lake no one even knows about anymore. We were camped there for the weekend on an island, and they much have had a nest somewhere on the island. That's our one and only sighting.

07-17-2015, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Beautiful shots of beautiful birds.

Unfortunately about a month ago a Cedar Waxwing flew into our window and knocked itself out. It lay there on our garden out cold....stunned. I didn't know whether it was alive or dead, but I recalled reading a suggestion from a local birder on what to do.

He suggested that you leave the bird, but take a cardboard box, punch some breathing holes in the top and lay the box over the inert bird. The idea apparently is to provide a safe, dark, quiet area for the bird to recover.

We did so and checked on his progress every 15 minutes and within 45 minutes he righted himself, perched on our bush and then flew away to join his flock. I'm not a birder, but I thought I would pass on the excellent advice, from the local birder.
07-17-2015, 12:37 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Such fine images, Heinrich. And some interesting information followed. We always enjoy seeing your work.
07-17-2015, 02:28 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excellent shots.

However, I still do not like potholes.

07-17-2015, 05:23 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wonderful shots Heinrich, fantastic clarity. I love the one of the bird flying away. I have tried but never have been able to capture a shot like that.

Michael
07-17-2015, 07:06 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Every shot excels.superbly done.
07-17-2015, 07:38 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Heinrich, you always have such great clarity and color in your images. A couple are almost 3D to my eye, enjoyed them all.
Thank you Bob, glad that you liked them

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Amazingly colorful bird. Your images are very sharp! Bravo.
Thank you kindly.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Great images Hienrich, I've seen Cedar Waxwings once in 6 years living up here. And never anywhere near my house. Once we found a pair on an obscure lake no one even knows about anymore. We were camped there for the weekend on an island, and they much have had a nest somewhere on the island. That's our one and only sighting.
Hi Norm and thank you. I see a few every year in Waterton Lakes National Park, don't always get a picture though, this year was a bonus. I used to see them a lot in Burlington, Ontario at my sisters, in the Fall they get themselves stoned on fermented berries it's quiet a sight to see them stumble around for an hour or so.

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Beautiful shots of beautiful birds.

Unfortunately about a month ago a Cedar Waxwing flew into our window and knocked itself out. It lay there on our garden out cold....stunned. I didn't know whether it was alive or dead, but I recalled reading a suggestion from a local birder on what to do.

He suggested that you leave the bird, but take a cardboard box, punch some breathing holes in the top and lay the box over the inert bird. The idea apparently is to provide a safe, dark, quiet area for the bird to recover.

We did so and checked on his progress every 15 minutes and within 45 minutes he righted himself, perched on our bush and then flew away to join his flock. I'm not a birder, but I thought I would pass on the excellent advice, from the local birder.
Thank you kindly, the cardboard box usually works.

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Such fine images, Heinrich. And some interesting information followed. We always enjoy seeing your work.
Thank you Chris for the kind comments, it is appreciated.

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Excellent shots.

However, I still do not like potholes.
Thank You, neither do I.

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
Wonderful shots Heinrich, fantastic clarity. I love the one of the bird flying away. I have tried but never have been able to capture a shot like that.

Michael
Thank you Michael, I have been at it for a while

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Every shot excels.superbly done.
Thank you EM for the praise but now you make me blush.
07-18-2015, 04:54 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Great series......always a highlight when I see you've posted some new images. Thanks!
07-18-2015, 05:43 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What a wonderful find. Beautiful birds, such vibrant colour.

I will never complain about a pothole again. (fingers crossed behind my back)
07-19-2015, 10:31 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
Great series......always a highlight when I see you've posted some new images. Thanks!
Thank you most kindly, it is appreciated.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
What a wonderful find. Beautiful birds, such vibrant colour.

I will never complain about a pothole again. (fingers crossed behind my back)
Thanks Bruce, this was the first time in years that a pothole was useful, for the rest of the time.........