Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

K20D does action (very impressively I might add): Lots of images
Posted By: palmor, 06-15-2008, 05:50 AM

Hi everyone,
My wife has been taking our dog (Ash) to agility training over the last couple of months. Yesterday there was a big agility trial nearby so we went to check it out. I thought perfect opportunity to try out the K20D in some fast action situations.

I normally would shot this type of thing with my Sigma 70-200 EX but it is at Sigma for repair at the moment so my only other option was the Tamron 70-300 f/5.6 LD (not the newer DI model) that I bought of KEH a couple of years ago for $90. I mention this because it is important to note that this is a consumer grade lens that is not exactly the fastest AF lens out there.

Here is a link to the entire set (dogagility Photo Gallery by palmor at pbase.com) It was too bad we got there late and only had about a half hour to take photos.

Ok, here some photos. These have only been processed in Lightroom and only minor adjustments to brightness/exposure. No other PP was done on them.. no additional sharpening or anything. If I gave a quick smart sharpen pass after resizing imagine how sharp they'd look (if they could look sharper).

All shots take with the K20, Tamron lens, Continues AF and center point. I have never shot anything like this before.

Look at this set of 3, AF had NO problem keeping up on this sequence at all

I call this one "Hover Craft"

The "Swan Dive"

Last edited by palmor; 06-15-2008 at 05:55 AM.
Views: 2,012
06-17-2008, 05:25 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi everyone,
Thanks for all the replies! I'm sure I'll have more when we start going to more Agility Trials.. going to be fun to take photos of all the dogs!

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Palmor
Where those shot in RAW or Jpeg"
Where they in AF.C?

As always, NICE...
Thanks! These where all shot with AF.C in RAW. I just did some very min brightness/exp settings in LR and converted to jpg right there. None of my normal Photoshop stuff.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
This is a great series ... I love the Hover Craft Scotty ... that's a cool shot.
I'ts amazing what you can capture with "average" lenses ... it comes down to the person behind the camera.

I'd love to get mt border collie trained in this sort of discipline ... she's pretty agile when she chases bired around the property.
My wife has a blast doing the training (and so does the dog!) so if you can I highly suggest it.