Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First time photo-ing a wedding (my cousin's)
Posted By: Morbo, 06-15-2008, 10:45 AM

Alright, I finally finished working on the shots from the wedding last weekend, and finally put them up on Flickr.

Here is the full set: Tim & Ally's Wedding - a set on Flickr
Please check them out and let me know what you think. I shot everything with the Tamron 28-75. (mostly because I didn't want to carry all the gear, or get in the real, hired, photographer's way!)

It was really bright that day, and on some pics her dress was really blown out, and I didn't know how to fix it in photoshop. But it's only really bad in a few.

Here are a few of my favs:

Views: 1,861
06-15-2008, 10:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
and a few more:

06-15-2008, 11:46 AM   #3

Great mood. Seems like a relax and fun wedding.
06-15-2008, 12:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

nice photos Dan

06-15-2008, 06:24 PM   #5

Nice shots.
I assume you used only natural light? (Looks natural)
I often wondered how the hired photographers feel about us budding types shooting along side???
06-15-2008, 06:28 PM   #6
Damn Brit

Good work Morbo, they should be pleased with the shots you took.
I looked closely at every shot, I was expecting you to slip a Lego man in somewhere, I didn't miss one did I?
Gary
06-15-2008, 06:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

these are some of the better 'my-first-wedding' shots that i have seen.

you did a great job for a family member and had a great first go at it.

my favorite is that square crop where she is frame-right, and she is rim-lit by the sun from the top right....and the sun is pleasantly streaming through the veil.

very pretty girl, pretty dress, and even pretty weather.

nice.

mitch

06-15-2008, 06:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fritzvds Quote
Nice shots.
I often wondered how the hired photographers feel about us budding types shooting along side???
I need assistants!! 8)
06-15-2008, 07:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fritzvds Quote
Nice shots.
yeah all natural light. I don't have a flash yet (or any other lighting things) - besides the built in one which I used under the tent a few times.

and I did my best to stay out of her way. she had two huge camera slung over her shoulders, and since she was already going where she wanted in front of people, i didn't want to be another obstruction, so i did the best that I could moving around quietly and staying as much out of people's way, as the photographer's way. i mean, she's getting paid for this...she doesn't need some little guy with a dinky camera messing up her job, right! lol.

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Good work Morbo, they should be pleased with the shots you took.
I looked closely at every shot, I was expecting you to slip a Lego man in somewhere, I didn't miss one did I?
Gary
i WANTED to bring one, but I decided not to. I decided to concentrate on making good shots at the wedding.

QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
these are some of the better 'my-first-wedding' shots that i have seen.

you did a great job for a family member and had a great first go at it.

my favorite is that square crop where she is frame-right, and she is rim-lit by the sun from the top right....and the sun is pleasantly streaming through the veil.

very pretty girl, pretty dress, and even pretty weather.

nice.

mitch
thank you!
it was HOOOOOTTT and humid. it was around 93 degrees i think, with high humidity. but the sky was beautiful, the setting was great. i did what i could with any shots i happened to see.
I'm glad you like that one shot. i took it while I was sitting at the dinner table! hah!
06-16-2008, 10:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You did a heck of a nice job for the first time. Was this the weekend of 7&8 June, or this past weekend? The 7th and 8th was absolutely brutal heat and humidity! I like the way the wedding was basically sort of low-keyed (at least it looked that way), without the formal tux, etc. Although the bride was lovely in her wedding dress.
06-16-2008, 10:28 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
very nice shots.

I suspect you did not have much control over poses etc as you were not the official photographer, but one shot caught my eye as something that would have been really interesting if you could have pulled it off.

Was there any way to get the bride and groom in the reflection of the mirror on the post? Would have been interesting.
06-16-2008, 12:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
You did a heck of a nice job for the first time. Was this the weekend of 7&8 June, or this past weekend? The 7th and 8th was absolutely brutal heat and humidity! I like the way the wedding was basically sort of low-keyed (at least it looked that way), without the formal tux, etc. Although the bride was lovely in her wedding dress.
It was on the 7th, yeah. I live in Manassas, so I can imagine how hot it was here if it was that hot back up in New York for the wedding.
It was low key - it was at my cousin's parents house (the groom), which is a custom built log cabin in farm country (though theirs isn't a farm). It was very nice.
I'm engaged myself, and plan on having something very simplistic an similar to this.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
very nice shots.

I suspect you did not have much control over poses etc as you were not the official photographer, but one shot caught my eye as something that would have been really interesting if you could have pulled it off.

Was there any way to get the bride and groom in the reflection of the mirror on the post? Would have been interesting.
Nope, I didn't ask them for any poses or anything. I just walked around and took shots as they appeared.
The mirror though - that was up next to the road, the party was down in the yard - so they weren't close at all. I just like reflections, and it caught the veil hanging on the mailbox too.
06-16-2008, 12:28 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, those turned out really nicely. Something about #4 really grabs my attention. Dad, presumably, getting ready for the walk down the aisle with his little girl?

Jim
06-16-2008, 02:25 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Excellent series. Well done.
06-16-2008, 04:06 PM   #15

Nice work. I too was expecting some legomen.

Hey... wait a second... whats this!?

Let's zoom in a little there...

AHA!

Think you can hide 'em from us, ehh?