Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
How do you hold your DSLR camera with hot-shoe flash?
Lens: DA* 16-50f2.8 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: wedding event ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F4 
Posted By: aleonx3, 07-24-2015, 03:10 PM

Going through some of the recovered files from my hard drive failure a year ago, I was happy to find these photos in RAW (except that they are harder to find as the file names had been changed to just numbers because the file table was corrupted).

I couldn't resist snapping a few pictures of this when I saw this via my viewfinder. I was one of the guests at the wedding and of course, not the official photographer, she was. I am wondering what would happen if the hot-shoe just snapped in the middle of the ceremony; and she didn't seem to have a backup camera either if I recall. How many of you would dare to try that? Mind you that is a 5D MK II, not a light camera.

Last edited by aleonx3; 07-28-2015 at 07:37 AM. Reason: replace the photo with my Gallery photo instead of flickr
Views: 996
07-24-2015, 08:52 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I sure wouldn't hold it like that! Nothing like blowing the whole show by breaking off the flash shoe to (un)make your day.
07-25-2015, 05:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I sure wouldn't hold it like that! Nothing like blowing the whole show by breaking off the flash shoe to (un)make your day.
That's the first time I have seen people holding the camera like that, let alone from a "pro" photog. Although the definition of pro wedding photographer is really shaky nowadays as some people believe that you just need to buy one of the Canikon big camera; and the Gary Fong flash diffuser makes it even more 'pro' like.
07-25-2015, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

The bride seems to be looking at the camera and wincing in sympathy for that unfortunate hot shoe.

07-28-2015, 07:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The bride seems to be looking at the camera and wincing in sympathy for that unfortunate hot shoe.
Now that you mention it, I think people started to worry that she might drop the camera or the hot-shoe (flash or camera) might snap any time.
07-28-2015, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
…………and then there is the risk of pushing the flash test button and blinding the poor brides eyes!
Edit: never mind, on close examination her thumb is on the side of the flash and not the back where the buttons are.
07-28-2015, 08:23 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Not me.

I would never hold my camera by the hotshoe mounted flash. I hold it by the camera grip.....and I always have the camera strap around my neck as a secondary 'catch' in case my hold on the grip is lost for some reason.

I also have never, ever seen anyone hold a heavy DSLR by the shoe mounted flash. Not good practice in my humble opinion.

« 645z | Blue Dasher »