Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
they call me Frank
Photo Location: Colorado 
Posted By: Bob Harris, 07-27-2015, 09:51 PM

We went to a Powwow while in Colorado and I saw this gentleman sitting by himself and got up enough nerve to ask for permission to take his photo. His response was yes but first let's talk. He is an elder of the Ute Mountain tribe which has inhabited the area for hundreds of years. His main reason for wanting to speak a bit was about the younger generation and the problems they were having. It seems they are not interested in past history and not even about looking to the future for employment. He told me he sees many of the youth are playing with phone devices and not much interest playing with other children outside and a lack of social skills. We spoke about other things for about a half hour but after we parted I reflected that there isn't much difference between him and I, we all seem to be following the same path.

Attached Images

Views: 1,030
07-27-2015, 10:31 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Amen… and that is a revelation everyone should take note of!
07-27-2015, 11:41 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Plenty of character in that face.
07-28-2015, 09:37 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Same issues as in many other countries.

"Times are bad. Children no longer obey their parents, and everyone is writing a book." — Cicero, 106 - 43 BC

07-28-2015, 01:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very cool!
07-29-2015, 04:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aacjr Quote
Amen… and that is a revelation everyone should take note of!
so true what you say, changing times for sure, not sure what the future holds for the new generations.

---------- Post added 07-29-15 at 03:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Plenty of character in that face.
you're right EM and a lot of common sense.

---------- Post added 07-29-15 at 03:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Same issues as in many other countries.

"Times are bad. Children no longer obey their parents, and everyone is writing a book." — Cicero, 106 - 43 BC
interesting quote. I think the tech world has a lot to offer but has many disadvantages too.

---------- Post added 07-29-15 at 03:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by plantej Quote
Very cool!
Glad you enjoyed the view, thank you.
07-30-2015, 04:56 PM   #7
Pentaxian

When I taught Native Americans, I once had some time with one of the chiefs from one of the bands that we took students from. He said, "the same ones that give you trouble, give us trouble." There's just no free lunch with problem kids, no matter who you are.
07-31-2015, 11:54 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
When I taught Native Americans, I once had some time with one of the chiefs from one of the bands that we took students from. He said, "the same ones that give you trouble, give us trouble." There's just no free lunch with problem kids, no matter who you are.
Norm, you've certainly lived and interesting life, I would have liked more direct contact with the Native Americans on our travels but most want to be separated from the outside world it seems. Your right about no free lunch, but that doesn't seem to be sinking into the mind of many.

08-01-2015, 08:53 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great shot and interesting story Bob. During one of my trips to China I had a similar conversation with an older chinese gentleman. Small world ...
08-01-2015, 09:40 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Terrific B&W portrait, old buddy, and an interesting commentary.

Jer
08-02-2015, 01:17 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
Great shot and interesting story Bob. During one of my trips to China I had a similar conversation with an older chinese gentleman. Small world ...
makes you wonder about the future Norbert, but I remember people saying those people that liked rock and roll would never make it in life and then there were those hippies.

---------- Post added 08-02-15 at 12:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Terrific B&W portrait, old buddy, and an interesting commentary.

Jer
thanks so much Jer for the kind words, stay cool back there.
08-02-2015, 01:33 PM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
they call me Frank
He just doesn't look like a Frank... I wonder what was his native name?

It's often interesting to talk to older folk and listen to their tales, we call them "local worthies" around here.
08-03-2015, 11:16 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
He just doesn't look like a Frank... I wonder what was his native name?

It's often interesting to talk to older folk and listen to their tales, we call them "local worthies" around here.
not sure of his true given name, but the man was sure "frank" with what he had to say to me.
07-04-2018, 12:59 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
We went to a Powwow while in Colorado and I saw this gentleman sitting by himself and got up enough nerve to ask for permission to take his photo. His response was yes but first let's talk. He is an elder of the Ute Mountain tribe which has inhabited the area for hundreds of years. His main reason for wanting to speak a bit was about the younger generation and the problems they were having. It seems they are not interested in past history and not even about looking to the future for employment. He told me he sees many of the youth are playing with phone devices and not much interest playing with other children outside and a lack of social skills. We spoke about other things for about a half hour but after we parted I reflected that there isn't much difference between him and I, we all seem to be following the same path.
Good lesson. Always ask. Your subject is a person
07-24-2018, 11:35 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
interesting portrait! well done!