Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Barron-Canyon-Waterfall
Lens: DA 18-135 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Algonquin Park, Barron Canyon ISO: 100 Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: normhead, 07-29-2015, 01:09 PM

A few from a recent trip.
K-3, DA 18-135, ISO 100, ƒ5.6 , Shutter speed, set to AV and whatever.

The scene...

The abstracts...

Views: 894
07-29-2015, 02:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Barron-Canyon-Waterfall

Whatever seems to have worked . I like the nearly frozen motion and I think it was right not to try and go all blurry . There's a sense of power and speed captured.

. I find myself wishing for more extreme focal lengths , both wider for the first one, and longer for the abstracts ....were you constrained by available focal lengths ?
07-29-2015, 02:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really like the first two. #1 would be interesting to see with a long exposure, as the silkiness of the water would contrast with other portions of the photo that are detail-laden. Not saying it would be better, just interesting to compare.

#2 has nice shapes and I like the "frozen" violence.
07-29-2015, 05:42 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Whatever seems to have worked . I like the nearly frozen motion and I think it was right not to try and go all blurry . There's a sense of power and speed captured.

. I find myself wishing for more extreme focal lengths , both wider for the first one, and longer for the abstracts ....were you constrained by available focal lengths ?
It was a 10 day trip and I was really limited in what I could take. I ended up with the 18-135, 21 ltd and 40 XS and an extra battery. No Sigma 8-16 or 10-17 fisheye. I really missed them both, and my A-400. I Just can't carry what I used to.

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I really like the first two. #1 would be interesting to see with a long exposure, as the silkiness of the water would contrast with other portions of the photo that are detail-laden. Not saying it would be better, just interesting to compare.

#2 has nice shapes and I like the "frozen" violence.
I do a lot of flowing slow shutter speed water, but, sometimes what you see is more compelling. I don't understand these wave patterns, how or why they are formed, but they are very cool.

Last edited by normhead; 07-29-2015 at 06:51 PM.
07-30-2015, 07:32 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A couple more of the same waterfall, "frozen" and "flowing". Using a slow shutter speed on this waterfall doesn't capture som of the uniques flow patterns of the falls.

07-30-2015, 08:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Number 5 is my fav. I like the contrast and the silky appearance.
07-31-2015, 04:53 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
We always have someone who likes to stir the pot.
Usually that's my job.