Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
some photos from a hockey Game this weekend, I welcome critiques
Posted By: mi2nc, 06-16-2008, 05:34 PM

Please make suggestions. I am learning this shooting in an ice rink. I shot at 2.8 f-stop. i ws hoping that would stop the action, even if it gave me a shallow DOF. I have another hockey tournament this weekend and would like to improve my shots.

Last edited by mi2nc; 02-20-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Views: 2,826
06-16-2008, 05:49 PM   #2
Marketplace Reseller

Photos: Gallery | Albums
those are shots are way better than my first attempt to shoot hockey. looks like you've got a good eye for composition of the game as well.

a few suggestions:
- not sure if you are shooting through the glass or not, but there should be a photographer's hole in the glass at each end, this should improve iq a bit
- i looked at your exif and would suggest you bump up the ISO, to say 800 or even 1600+ to allow quicker shutter speeds. most of my shots are with the 135/2.8 @ 800 iso and 1/200 sec

looking forward to your next post of pics
06-16-2008, 05:53 PM   #3
mel
Veteran Member

I shoot a lot of soccer (older boys) but it's probably not as fast running on ground as sliding on ice. I am also an amatuer at this, but through trial and error I discovered a few things. First of all I try to shoot no wider open than f8 in case I'm a tad off on my focusing but I'm also outdoor and you're inside so I can usually get a faster shutter with that. If it's a darker day I'll open it more but the key is the fast shutter. I also shoot in continuous mode with focus set to AF.C.

Lastly, I set my focus point to SEL, then drop the focus point down below center, and keep it focused on the ground at the players feet. With their fast moving bodies and quick directional changes, I have found that, for me at least, this is the easiest way to prevent my focus shifting to the stuff in the background when the player moves away from the dot. Then I just follow them around with my dot on the ground at the feet of the players involved in the action.

I don't know if this is what professionals would deem the "correct" way to do this but it seems to work for me. I've never shot hockey though.
06-16-2008, 06:04 PM   #4
SouthShoreRob

it's harder than it looks

If you search hockey threads over the past year or so, you should see several in which I have participated - and commented on technique. These two samples are a decent start, but you will need to keep at it to improve. Here are my basic tips:

first, use something 100mm or longer @ F2.8 - F4
second, pump your ISO up to 800-1000-1250 or if it's a dungeon in there, all the way to 1600; together with number one, this should allow you to shoot at a SS of 1/250th or higher
third, put your focus point on centre and leave it there
fourth, enable AF-C and keep it there
fifth, select the multiple frames shutter option

then, follow the puck and lay on the trigger once your AF locks....shoot 200+ shots a game and try to get one good one per player

You can visit my hockey stuff by clicking here: South Shore Snapshots- powered by SmugMug

Rob

06-16-2008, 06:06 PM   #5

Original Poster
I have played the game for many years so I was kinda amazed at how I could predict where the picture would happen. I was shooting from the bench so I didn't have to fight the Plexiglass.

I was shooting in the Tav mode and couldn't change the ISO. I guess thats what I should do. Probably by shooting in the "m" mode?

I still welcome any ideas.
06-16-2008, 06:10 PM   #6
SouthShoreRob

TAV does allow you to change the ISO, only within a range. So, use your front and rear dials to "restrict" the ISO to a min of 800 and a max of 1250 or 1600 as you see fit. Or, as you suggested, go to manual and select various ISOs to get a feel for what looks sharpest.

You said your lens is F2.8, but which one?
06-16-2008, 06:27 PM   #7

Original Poster
the da* 50-135. Renting it for last weekends North Carolina State Games and next weekends Ironman games. Both weekends entail at least 4 games for the boys. Lotsa fun for the parents as well. I will go manual and shoot at ISO 800, 1/250th, f2.8 this week and see if I can freeze the shots the way you do in your several posts. Thanks SSRob.

06-16-2008, 06:52 PM   #8
SouthShoreRob

You're welcome. Good luck and let us see how it goes!
06-16-2008, 07:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Nothing wrong with manual, but I would stick with the TAv mode until you get a better feel. Just up your shutter and aperture to the recommended values and the Auto ISO with a top limit of 1600 and let the camera do it's thing. Since you will be shooting at high ISO levels, check the histogram to be sure that you are pushing it as far to the right as you can without clipping, and dial in whatever EV compensation is needed to put it there. This will help keep the noise down.
06-16-2008, 09:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Way too slow exposure time, you need to be at Iso 1250 or 1600.
06-17-2008, 03:48 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Go with what SSRob said ... I know of a guy ona car forum out here that shoots ice hockey ... and boy it is difficult ... especially with poor lighting and glare off the ice as well.

capturing movement dead still is hard in this game.
06-19-2008, 06:15 PM   #12

Original Poster
Some more shots from a practice tonight

I shot these tonight. I shot faster than was recommended, but this rink is really a dungeon. Getting better on exposure. ISO restrictions are great.

Last edited by mi2nc; 02-20-2009 at 07:12 PM.
06-20-2008, 10:51 AM   #13
Veteran Member

The goalie is going for the poke check but is forgetting to keep his glove up. And we don't much like it when people only bring red, black or white jerseys to play.

I know. Not the kind of critizisms you were hoping for.
06-20-2008, 12:18 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Much better - Rob has shot a lot of hockey and his advice is sound. I have shot a few games , from then bench as well as though Plexiglass. ISO 800 is a minimun.

I find burst mode worked well if I picked a spot on the ice where the action was foing to be and fire away. Spot metereing worked for me as well. My best shot was with the Tamron 28-75 actually. Some rinks are better than others for sure.
06-20-2008, 01:53 PM   #15
Veteran Member

i under expose a stop and push the raw when processing so i can keep the iso at 400 while getting a faster shutter. some people on here think it's a gimmic, but it's a standard film technique that translated to digital just as well.

example exif

i've never had problems shooting in an arena with this basic technique.

1/200 - 1/250 would be the minimum shutter speed i'd shoot hockey at.