Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Shearing shed
Posted By: Mallee Boy, 08-05-2015, 06:21 PM

Its not the Pentax, sorry, hope this is allowable. These photos are not perfect and are flawed in many ways, things happen quickly in shearing sheds so had to snap between jobs.

For the first time in 16 years I stepped back into a shearing shed, and loved it.
I am going to explain the photos for the benefit of those who have never the seen the inside of a shearing shed.

This an "outpost" shed so is not the most modern, but functionable.
What you are seeing here is the shearing (removal of the wool) from Australian merino sheep, and how the fleece is subsequently handled and assessed. This wool will end up in medium & light weight apparel being around 19-21 microns. The link is an example of the type of clothing that is made from this style of wool. Australian Merino Underwear, Thermals & Clothing | Merino Country

Name:  DSC_8268.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  354.5 KB

Name:  DSC_8269.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  328.0 KB

Name:  DSC_8271.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  287.7 KB

Name:  DSC_8275.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  354.2 KB

Name:  DSC_8276.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  318.8 KB

Name:  DSC_8281.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  308.9 KB

Name:  DSC_8289.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  344.6 KB

Name:  DSC_8293.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  259.5 KB

Views: 1,158
08-05-2015, 08:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A great series of shots!
08-06-2015, 04:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Great photo essay--my family always had livestock, but sheep were never an option here in the American South. Very glad to see the uptick in interest in wool fiber, though, especially for outdoor pursuits.
08-06-2015, 07:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nice photos. Thanks for sharing. I love to see "real workers" at their jobs. Very intense work I'm sure. Seen a good old movie about this with Robert Mitchum called The Sundowners. BTW I wear merino wool most of the winter here. Huge fan of it.

08-06-2015, 02:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for looking. Wool is a fabulous fibre, and the industry has put a lot of scientific effort into what is known as the comfort factor, that is, removing the "prickle or itch "factor", which was caused by broad fibres within the fleece. They have been able to identify and breed the broader fibre out resulting in the modern wool of today which is super soft and can be worn against the skin. New processing methods have also contributed to the new super soft wools.

I like wearing it because it "breathes", I find synthetics akin to wearing a plastic bag.

---------- Post added 08-07-15 at 07:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by plantej Quote
Nice photos. Thanks for sharing. I love to see "real workers" at their jobs. Very intense work I'm sure. Seen a good old movie about this with Robert Mitchum called The Sundowners. BTW I wear merino wool most of the winter here. Huge fan of it.
I forget the exact numbers now, but some research a few years ago suggested a shearer shearing 130+/- sheep a day was using the same energy needed to run a marathon. The shearers get a break every two hours, work 4 x 2 hour shifts, but it is a professional job that requires a high level of skill, fitness and endurance.

How do you know a good shearer....when you see one that appears to be going slow and doing it easy....until you count his pen.
08-06-2015, 03:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
high level of skill, fitness and endurance.

Ha, I was going to remark on that the bloke in the wife-beater wouldn't look out of place in an Ironman competition or (US Army) Ranger course...you should license the concept to the "CrossFit" fellows and let them take you international.
08-06-2015, 03:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the memories!
I dimly remember the travelling shearers coming into the small Mallee town in the 50's
At that time the Australian pubs had mandatory "6 O'clock closing", so the normally desolate main street got real busy from 5 ~ 6pm .

The shearers were fit guys in blue singlets and that was the first time I saw tatoos.

The sheep farms had shearing sheds with a "sheep dip" and I still recall the smell of it.

The policeman had to have a sense of humor. one day a farmer's son, too young to have a driver's license, was driving throught the town.
The policeman pulled him over and the young guy thought he was done for.
But the policeman walked around the ancient truck "Tell your Dad that this heap is unroadworthy and I'll put it off the road if I see ..YOU.. driving it again!"

08-06-2015, 03:49 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Thanks for the memories!
I dimly remember the travelling shearers coming into the small Mallee town in the 50's
At that time the Australian pubs had mandatory "6 O'clock closing", so the normally desolate main street got real busy from 5 ~ 6pm .

The shearers were fit guys in blue singlets and that was the first time I saw tatoos.

The sheep farms had shearing sheds with a "sheep dip" and I still recall the smell of it.

The policeman had to have a sense of humor. one day a farmer's son, too young to have a driver's license, was driving throught the town.
The policeman pulled him over and the young guy thought he was done for.
But the policeman walked around the ancient truck "Tell your Dad that this heap is unroadworthy and I'll put it off the road if I see ..YOU.. driving it again!"
The Mangatang Hotel on a Friday night back then....whoa, would have been some life experiences to be had there. Had a similar experience in Karoonda with the local policeman, but boy...did you respect them !! They were giant figures in the community.

Came through Mangatang a couple of months ago....thought of you.
08-06-2015, 05:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Had a similar experience in Karoonda with the local policeman,
Ha, But I thought you were a Pillar, could do no wrong!

I can't find any sheep photos but here is one of the site of the old Gol-Gol Punt. (Pentax ME Super, with the 50/2 taken in early 1980's)

I suppose many bales of wool went across there.

I read that Wentworth in 1880's was the 3rd largest port in Australia and they nearly put the Federal Parliament there.

Edit: Wow, the quality of PF uploads seems to be getting worse. What am I doing wrong?
Here is a jpg of the scan. It is a scan of a print, maybe it is as good as I will get.
https://app.box.com/s/8a9pld7owsn7r6u6cgrdfww9z4rla8p0

Last edited by wombat2go; 08-06-2015 at 05:06 PM.
08-06-2015, 09:24 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Ha, But I thought you were a Pillar, could do no wrong!
Well...you got that bit wrong. :-)
Bit difficult when one went for ones license test and the policeman is looking at you sideways because he has apparently seen you driving on roads near the farm.

Nice spot in the Gol Gol shot, many a summers evening spent there no doubt.
08-07-2015, 03:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks for looking. Wool is a fabulous fibre, and the industry has put a lot of scientific effort into what is known as the comfort factor, that is, removing the "prickle or itch "factor", which was caused by broad fibres within the fleece. They have been able to identify and breed the broader fibre out resulting in the modern wool of today which is super soft and can be worn against the skin. New processing methods have also contributed to the new super soft wools.

I like wearing it because it "breathes", I find synthetics akin to wearing a plastic bag.

---------- Post added 08-07-15 at 07:49 AM ----------

I forget the exact numbers now, but some research a few years ago suggested a shearer shearing 130+/- sheep a day was using the same energy needed to run a marathon. The shearers get a break every two hours, work 4 x 2 hour shifts, but it is a professional job that requires a high level of skill, fitness and endurance.

How do you know a good shearer....when you see one that appears to be going slow and doing it easy....until you count his pen.
Yeah I saw the shape these guys are in...athletes. Incredible skill. Interesting info! Yes and quite fire retarding around campfires and I stay warm even if moist. It is almost standard issue in the Northwest's damp and wet climate. Keep the wool comin'. Thanks.
08-07-2015, 04:10 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by plantej Quote
around campfires

Ah mate......that conjures up all sorts of smells and sights in your country. Love a campfire.
08-07-2015, 04:41 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Ah mate......that conjures up all sorts of smells and sights in your country. Love a campfire.
Had to reply. You wouldn't believe how good the air is here (except for the current fires of Canada and eastern WA.). These tall evergreens of Cedar and Firs and ferns that grow up to the arse and the constant drizzle and the Pacific do a top job keeping it that way. Cheers.