Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Pictures from my day (Samyang 10mm Content)
Lens: Samyang 10mm f/2.8 Camera: Pentax K-50 Photo Location: Prince Gallitzin State Park, Fallentimber, PA 16639 
Posted By: Auzzie-Phoenix, 08-05-2015, 09:44 PM

Went out to the lake today to hang out with a friend/former co-worker. Took some pictures before he showed up, and then stayed at the lake for a few hours after he went home. Today was a samyang 10mm day. I had made sure to pack everything, expecting to take some astro. I was not disappointed. I went through the images on the sd card and then ran the best through silkypix to clean them up/adjust, then resampled the images in corel photo-paint to 25% of original size.

The big dipper.

Grainy as hell, but it seems to work out nicely, even with the bit of the dock on the right, and shoreline on the left.

Milky Way over the fishing dock. It was cloudy tonight which added to the problems caused by the light pollution. I'll be sure to get some better images when the sky is clearer and the moon isn't scheduled to be visible.

A grainy image of the milky way.

Semi-decent weather, good company, a good meal, and great scenery. Can't say that this day wasn't eventful in the least. Now if only I wasn't too lazy to go through all of my night kayaking pictures from the last few trips and get those posted... lol.
Views: 1,124
08-05-2015, 11:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought with a 10mm lens you have more flexibility in shutter speed! I mean, you could've gone up to 30sec even more, before the stars start to move in the frame.
08-06-2015, 07:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nice treats of a stary stary night.
08-06-2015, 07:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtux Quote
I thought with a 10mm lens you have more flexibility in shutter speed! I mean, you could've gone up to 30sec even more, before the stars start to move in the frame.
I'm still experimenting with it, but I don't think you get THAT much leeway. The rule is that they let in more light so you can use a shorter shutter, which is why you can avoid trails. A 30s exposure is going to trail no matter what, as I started seeing evidence of trailing with a 13s shot.

08-06-2015, 08:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
I'm still experimenting with it, but I don't think you get THAT much leeway. The rule is that they let in more light so you can use a shorter shutter, which is why you can avoid trails. A 30s exposure is going to trail no matter what, as I started seeing evidence of trailing with a 13s shot.
The 500 rule says you can get up to 500/FL sec exposure, and if you say the focal length is 10 * 1.5 = 15mm! then 500/15 = 30sec!
I've recently tried my hands on the stars, and was able to shoot 20sec exposure with DA15mm!