Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Edinburgh, the Sequel
Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Edinburgh, Scotland 
Posted By: GeoJerry, 08-09-2015, 01:00 AM

A few more from Edinburgh and then on to other stops in Scotland!

Views: 1,775
08-09-2015, 04:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I love it. Can't wait to go someday.
08-09-2015, 06:25 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
A few more from Edinburgh and then on to other stops in Scotland!

Nice shots! The picture of the inside of a cathedral, is that some sort of HDR?
08-09-2015, 09:29 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shooting Jerry! I think you caught the essence of the town.

08-09-2015, 11:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rimfiredude Quote
I love it. Can't wait to go someday.
Thanks! Definitely worth a trip but make sure you save some time for seeing the highlands too!

---------- Post added 08-09-15 at 11:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by soti Quote
Nice shots! The picture of the inside of a cathedral, is that some sort of HDR?
Thanks soti!.

I'm not sure what HDR means anymore, but in the sense of stacking multiple exposures and taking them into HDR software, no this isn't an HDR. It was processed entirely within Lightroom 5. I shot a single image at ISO 3200 and just brought out the shadows while suppressing the highlights, which I guess could be called HDR but not in the sense most people think about.

---------- Post added 08-09-15 at 11:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Nice shooting Jerry! I think you caught the essence of the town.
Thanks very much Steve! Just a small percentage of my shots there but you have to stop somewhere!
08-09-2015, 02:00 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Impressing GeoJerry!
08-09-2015, 02:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I like this set more than your previous ones.

If you want something a bit different - not the usual tourist sights of Edinburgh - try heading south of the Meadows to Morningside. It's has more of the hip shops, but also quite a variety of grand old houses. Another interesting walk is Ferry Road; it's one of the longest straights in the city yet you pass through different levels of housing and shops. The botanical gardens are also worth a visit of course.

Lived there for five years as a student, but didn't pick up photography until after I left. Probably would have appreciated it a great deal more if I had.

P.S. Check out the Jazz Bar!

08-09-2015, 06:40 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What a beautiful place. #2 is my fave. I really like #3, too, but the perspective distortion gets to me a bit. I rarely shoot wide angle, so have no idea what could be done to ameliorate that.
08-09-2015, 10:09 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clockworkrat Quote
I like this set more than your previous ones.

If you want something a bit different - not the usual tourist sights of Edinburgh - try heading south of the Meadows to Morningside. It's has more of the hip shops, but also quite a variety of grand old houses. Another interesting walk is Ferry Road; it's one of the longest straights in the city yet you pass through different levels of housing and shops. The botanical gardens are also worth a visit of course.

Lived there for five years as a student, but didn't pick up photography until after I left. Probably would have appreciated it a great deal more if I had.

P.S. Check out the Jazz Bar!
Unfortunately I'm already gone! We left Edinburgh July 21, but next time I would like to take your suggestions. We have been to Edinburgh about 5 times and have always stayed in the New Town and occasionally Old Town areas, also the Royal Mile. But next time I'd like to see more of the place (besides the route to the airport). Thanks for your comments!

---------- Post added 08-09-15 at 10:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
What a beautiful place. #2 is my fave. I really like #3, too, but the perspective distortion gets to me a bit. I rarely shoot wide angle, so have no idea what could be done to ameliorate that.
Thanks for the feedback. I kind of like the surreal effect of the wide angle, but your comment got me to thinking and I tried using Lightroom's manual distortion correction, and I got this result. I like it too, but you have to plan ahead for the composition because the warp causes you to lose a significant portion of the original image. Do you prefer this version? I think I like the original still, but I do like the correction too and I can see your point.

Thanks again, I'll think twice in the future about whether I want to do the lens correction.

08-10-2015, 02:59 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great shots. I really like the first one in particular.
08-10-2015, 09:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Great shots. I really like the first one in particular.
Thanks very much Rondec, I appreciate it!
08-10-2015, 09:48 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Thanks for the feedback. I kind of like the surreal effect of the wide angle, but your comment got me to thinking and I tried using Lightroom's manual distortion correction, and I got this result. I like it too, but you have to plan ahead for the composition because the warp causes you to lose a significant portion of the original image. Do you prefer this version? I think I like the original still, but I do like the correction too and I can see your point.

Thanks again, I'll think twice in the future about whether I want to do the lens correction.
Ah, I do like the corrected version, very much!
08-11-2015, 09:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wow what a beautiful city there. Gorgeous shots. The castle and cathedral are amazing.
08-12-2015, 12:24 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks plantej, and thanks again luftluss!
08-12-2015, 11:26 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Ah, I do like the corrected version, very much!
The first one is a really cool photo, making houses made of stone to swing! The latter version in my eye is just boring.