Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Newfoundland and a few Icebergs
Posted By: Peter Zack, 06-17-2008, 01:26 PM

As some of you may be aware, My computer motherboard fried. I just had the hard drive copied to my portable while the unit returns to Dell. All the shots from Newfoundland at the beginning of the month were on that unit. So I'm on the old computer till that one returns.

Here's a few from the trip. Most of my time there was on business but I had Saturday June 7th to myself to do some shooting. It was foggy as H E double hockey sticks outside Saint John's but it lifted a little to get some decent shots.

Newfoundland has a few mountain ranges that in some areas are high enough that the snow caps don't melt through the summer.

The fog was blowing over the mountain tops from the ocean like a thick blanket and I thought it looked cool. hard to capture the real effect though.

I found this mountain river along the route to Saint Johns from Port aux Basques (890 Kms). It was nearing the end of the day and I had finished a call in Grand Falls (the town) and here I was again in a suit jacket climbing down this rock face with camera and lens bag in tow. The shoes survived but the pants are in the bin with a few tears. The rock face to the waters edge was about a 50-60 foot drop with only small foot and hand holds. Here's a look up the gorge. When I left the car I thought I'd just walk up a path for 10 minutes to the falls. Nope, that ended and it was thick brush. Perfect time of day to shoot but I should have carried the tripod (after changing cloths).

No possible way to cross over to the side that is in the image where the hike would have been easier. But it was fun!. I was laughing to myself that when they find my body somewhere downstream, they'd know I had lost my mind.

But I think it was worth it.

On the way back from the Waterfall This little guy was waiting on the path.

Oh yeah I said Icebergs. To give you some sense of the size, I spoke to an older fisherman who had taken his boat there the day before. The berg was grounded on the bottom and hadn't moved in several days. He took a depth sounding beside the berg and it was stuck in 120 feet of water. Icebergs only have 1/10th of their volume above the water line. What's left of this one is still big.

Here's wide view (DA 18-55mm with CPL @ 18mm, a lens I still enjoy using). The first shot was with the FA*300/4.5 and Tamron 1.4 TC (great combo Btw)

One of Saint John's Harbour. This is fort Amherst at the harbour mouth.

An old shipwreck along the coast

Another Berg with a fishing boat coming out of a bay near Saint John's. This was with the FA*300mm f4.5 and a stacked set of the Tamron 1.4 and Pentax 1.7 TC's. The image is compressed quite a bit since the stacked TC's gave me 714mm in total. The cliffs were about 6 kms from me.

There's only one way to get home and it's not by car!! It's actually a fishing shack but the cliff behind is a straight drop of at least 150 feet.

That's Signal Hill in the background. It's the place where Marconi made his first transmission across the big pond. This site had only the one cross in a tiny cemetary. The hill where the tower is is about 250 meters above the sea.

Very typical Newfoundland coastline. They don't nickname this place "The Rock" for nothing. There are many areas where you wonder how the trees grow. My next trip will be up the northern pennisula and the trees there all lean away from the wind. A full grown spruce would normally be 15 feet high near the coastline.

A little bay with a berg in your front yard. The Island in the upper left is the place where all the Northern Puffins breed. You'd stand there and see literally a few thousand birds fly in and out. I didn't have time for the boat tour but will someday when the weather is clearer. These birds are beautiful and often photographed. They have the most colourful faces with these funny sad little eyes. An example is here: http://graemedavis.blogspot.com/puffin.jpg

And another. This one was cool. I had to hike out about 2 Kms to get to this spot and as I approached the berg split. You can't imagine the sound. It's like taking a shipping container full of rocks and dropping it 2 story's on concrete. Incredible. It happened twice that day.

Down town Saint John's has a statue of the typical Newfoundland Dog. These things look like small bears in real life. About 150 Lbs and all fur. The small dog is a Labrador male which is normally about 60-80 lbs and about the same size as a Golden Retriever.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 06-17-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Views: 5,065
06-17-2008, 06:30 PM   #16
Veteran Member

nice photos of NF Peter. it looks a lot different than i would have imagined "The Rock" to be.
my favourite is the Saint John's Harbour, very scenic

06-17-2008, 06:59 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the tour Peter - wow some of those shots are stunning. I now have visions of the best dressed nature photographer climbing down the cliffs - Bond, Peter Bond ready to shoot the harsh scenery of Nfld , and then off to the party for a dry martini !

I am jealous one of the few places in Canada I have never been but will some day. A super series and great narration well done.
06-17-2008, 07:01 PM   #18
Veteran Member

these are great! I really like your black and white conversion on the shipwreck.
06-17-2008, 07:16 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Peter, that is a wonderful series of good photography. Thanks for posting it. NL and Nunavut are the only places in Canada that I have not seen and most likely will not but we have decided to go back to PEI for a week this fall. (Another road trip}

Take care,

06-17-2008, 07:28 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Wonderful breathtaking awe inspiring, words can be typed but this series of photos cant be written it just takes your breathe away..Thank you for sharing a part of your world with us all

cheers
06-17-2008, 07:39 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Very cool shots. Thanks for sharing!

John
06-17-2008, 08:00 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Absolutely stunning pictures!

I definetly have to head out to newfoundland one of these days, it's just too beautifull.

Pat
06-18-2008, 03:24 AM   #23
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
wow, Peter that shipwreck image is awesome. My other favorites are the first iceberg shot you posted, and the fishing shack... love the coastline pics too... *drool* I'd love to have a few days there.

I really have to do some traveling soon, these are places that I may actually be able to hit at some point in the next few years.
Thanks Dan for the comments and having a look. If you ever come this way, send me an email. I know a number of the better travel routes in Atlantic Canada.

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
nice photos of NF Peter. it looks a lot different than i would have imagined "The Rock" to be.
my favourite is the Saint John's Harbour, very scenic
The entire cost is very scenic and in many different ways. The Island is also much larger than most would assume. But it sure earns it's nickname. There are many areas where the soil is so thin, not much more than grass can grow.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Thanks for the tour Peter - wow some of those shots are stunning. I now have visions of the best dressed nature photographer climbing down the cliffs - Bond, Peter Bond ready to shoot the harsh scenery of Nfld , and then off to the party for a dry martini !

I am jealous one of the few places in Canada I have never been but will some day. A super series and great narration well done.
Bond, Peter Bond after snapping a few shots in suit and tie, jumps in his mini van to... Nah that image really doesn't work. No Austin Martin here. Thanks for the look Dave.

QuoteOriginally posted by jshurak Quote
these are great! I really like your black and white conversion on the shipwreck.
Thanks, It's one of my favourite ones as well. I found it totally by accident. Each night after work, I'd take all the dirt roads I could find to see what was hidden of the beaten trails. This was at the end of one of those old roads.

06-18-2008, 12:31 PM   #24
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Peter, that is a wonderful series of good photography. Thanks for posting it. NL and Nunavut are the only places in Canada that I have not seen and most likely will not but we have decided to go back to PEI for a week this fall. (Another road trip}

Take care,
That's great Heinrich. It's a long drive from Alberta to here. You flying part of the way? If you ever have the time and $$ to make a trip to NL it's well worth the time. You could spend a week in Gros Morne alone with a camera and a pair of hiking boots.

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
Wonderful breathtaking awe inspiring, words can be typed but this series of photos cant be written it just takes your breathe away..Thank you for sharing a part of your world with us all

cheers
Thanks cupic, It's a beautiful part of the world and I'm glad you enjoyed the series. I had an earlwith shots from that trip. I had to delete the images because of space limits here but will add them back to this thread later tonight so you can see more of the island. Thanks for the kind comments.

QuoteOriginally posted by palmor Quote
Very cool shots. Thanks for sharing!

John
Thanks for the comments and having a look John

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Absolutely stunning pictures!

I definetly have to head out to newfoundland one of these days, it's just too beautifull.

Pat
Hey, Pat thanks for having a look When you head out this way drop me a note. Maybe we can meet up. Just don't bring the whole scout troop with you!!
06-18-2008, 12:56 PM   #25
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Here's a few more from last years series. Some of you will have already seen these but i though some others might enjoy some shots from a part of the world they may never see.

A river that was along the way somewhere in the middle of the province. I'm up to my knees in water with the Monopod to get this one. (yes doing the "Peter Bond" thing again)

An incredible sunset in Corner Brook. It rained hard all day and the sun came out a hour before sunset. The heavy mist created the great colours. West coast of NL

Same spot different angle a few minutes later:

One of the famous features of NL and Saint John's. The coloured houses. It's like all the mis-tinted paint is shipped there to be sold off. All over the place the houses are brightly coloured and it gives a great flavour to the cities and towns.

A cruise ship leaving Saint John's harbour around 5:30 AM

My favourite place. Cape Spear lighthouse. It's the most easterly point of land in North America. Cliffs that are straight down to the sea (about a 200 foot drop) Rugged coastline and windy as heck. Beautiful place to hike.

Goin fishing

The battery in Saint John's harbour. Older homes that cling to the rocks along the waters edge. Lots of colourful paint jobs and they places are built right into the rocks. I was told that Europeans engineers were here a week before the shot was taken to study how the homes were locked into the rock faces. They wanted to copy the 200 year old methods to use previously unused areas where land is scarce. They were from Switzerland and were interviewed on the CBC.

Very typical coast area with the rock face going straight into the water

Along the coast:

2 shots, Port aux Basques sunset on the western coast. This is the town where the ferry comes into the island from Nova Scotia. There are only 2 ways to get here. car ferry or Plane.

Cape Spear in an approaching storm. There are 2 lighthouses here and this is the older one that is closed up now.

One of the features of this place is how fast the weather can change. These 2 shots were taken 10 minutes apart. Nice sunset then Bam! A storm is rolling in off the ocean. The expression "If you don't like the weather out the front door, then use the back door" must have come from here.

A wild sunset in Saint John's taken from Signal Hill. Again after a heavy rain storm.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 06-18-2008 at 01:38 PM.
06-18-2008, 01:17 PM   #26
Veteran Member

A great series Peter, thanks for the enjoyment. Shots of icebergs like that, I dont think I will ever have the chance of taking. A truly beautiful area.
06-18-2008, 03:54 PM   #27
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Thanks for having a look Bruce. I'm sure you won't get any from "down under" but these forums are great and a wonderful way for each of us to share our little corner of the world. Thanks for the comments and having a look.
06-18-2008, 04:03 PM   #28
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote

Well, it's good to know that some things never change. I took this picture last year. It was horribly under exposed and I tried to bring it back to life in Photo Shop.

BTW - they called them "Jelly Bean Houses" - appropriately named I'd say.

Thanks for sharing all your great pics Peter. The sunsets images are fantastic.

Last edited by J.Scott; 03-30-2009 at 03:27 AM.
06-18-2008, 04:14 PM   #29
Veteran Member

That Fort Amherst shot is really good!
06-18-2008, 04:28 PM   #30
Inactive Account

Peter, did you get to visit the old WW2 gun battery site? Now that was something to see!

How 'bout the famous "Hill O' Chips"?

This thread is stirrin' up too many memories - I want to go back.

Last edited by J.Scott; 03-30-2009 at 03:27 AM.