Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Tirpitz in the Fættenfjord
Camera: Pentax K30 Photo Location: Norway 
Posted By: Janse, 08-15-2015, 01:55 AM

A brief war story: The German battleship Tirpitz, which was a great threat to the Allied convoys to Murmansk, was placed in this narrow fjord from January 1942 and for nine months.

RAF had heavy losses in their effort to sink Tirpitz.

Also the Norwegian war hero Shetlands-Larsen tried to attack the battleship with torpedos. He had two torpedos attached under an innocent looking fishing vessel. Because of bad weather the torpedos loosend and almost destroyed the fishingboat. He had to let the torpedos go in the Trondheimsfjord and the attack was a fiasko.

Remains of the land attachment of Tirpitz can still be seen.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 

Last edited by Janse; 09-22-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Views: 2,117
08-15-2015, 03:57 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sister ship of the Bismarck. Never fired at an Allied ship. Thanks for the pics, Janse!
08-15-2015, 04:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Never fired at an Allied ship.
... and yet still managed to exact a hefty human toll on the RN, FAA, RAF, Norwegian Resistance, Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine. The Tirpitz is a particularly poignant example of the paradox of WWII - ultimately necessary, but at the same time utterly senseless.

I hope my kids never live through such a time.

Nice photos Janse.
08-15-2015, 04:53 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jawsy Quote
... and yet still managed to exact a hefty human toll on the RN, FAA, RAF, Norwegian Resistance, Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine. The Tirpitz is a particularly poignant example of the paradox of WWII - ultimately necessary, but at the same time utterly senseless.

I hope my kids never live through such a time.

Nice photos Janse.

I think it likely way more German sailors died than Allied airmen, Jawsy, and the cost of the (not many) aircraft lost was way less than building and maintaining this thing. The phrase 'white elephant' comes to mind.

Nevertheless, one life lost in war of any nationality is one too many, etc.

08-15-2015, 08:54 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lovely place.
08-15-2015, 10:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Crazy, was just watching a show on this beast last night
08-15-2015, 01:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Remains of a terrifically tragic time. Lest we forget the sacrifices. Interesting.

08-15-2015, 01:36 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks folks for good comments.!
08-15-2015, 03:47 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

No, thank you for the pics. Narvik was home to a battle in 1940 that wrecked the German destroyer flotilla. Anything left to photograph if I visited Norway?
08-15-2015, 04:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice shot, I need to put Norway on my list!
08-15-2015, 05:01 PM   #11

There was an interesting documentary on "Hitler's Megaships" on the Public Broadcasting stations in the US. They examine some of the remaining parts of the Tirpitz.

The Tirpitz was one of the priority targets of the famous Dam Busters bombing unit that used the Tallboy and Grand Slam earthquake bombs designed by Barnes Wallis who also designed the Dam Buster bouncing bomb..
08-15-2015, 11:52 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
No, thank you for the pics. Narvik was home to a battle in 1940 that wrecked the German destroyer flotilla. Anything left to photograph if I visited Norway?
Yes there is. Not so far away from Narvik, Trondenes Fortress near Harstad, there is a interesting cannon from 2.WW. The Adolf Cannon is the biggest land-based cannon in the world. Caliber 40,6 cm and with a reach of 60-70 km. :-)

---------- Post added 08-15-15 at 11:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
There was an interesting documentary on "Hitler's Megaships" on the Public Broadcasting stations in the US. They examine some of the remaining parts of the Tirpitz.

https://youtu.be/RogRFLHFAs0

The Tirpitz was one of the priority targets of the famous Dam Busters bombing unit that used the Tallboy and Grand Slam earthquake bombs designed by Barnes Wallis who also designed the Dam Buster bouncing bomb..
Than you for an informative reply! :-)

---------- Post added 08-15-15 at 11:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Nice shot, I need to put Norway on my list!
Thanks. Recommanded. :-)
08-17-2015, 12:57 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the info, Janse!
08-28-2015, 11:52 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Thanks for the story and pictures of a ship that is a large part of my local history. I can actually see the place Tirpitz sunk from the window where im sitting now. Here in Tromsø its very little leftovers from the Tirpitz ship as it was cut up and sold a few years after the war. Its some large water filled bomb craters near the site, a war history museum 20 km away, a memorial monument and thats it. Steel plates from Tirpitz are still used all over Norway for covering up road construction holes during the day. The Tirpitz museum is located in Alta, a 4 hour drive from here. Kåfjorden outside Alta was the second last place it was hidden. It only had a couple of weeks nearby Tromsø before it was sunk by british bomber planes. In Tromsø the loss of Tirpitz was both a relief from the German power and a large tragedy where over 1000 men were killed.[COLOR="Silver"]

Last edited by Simen1; 08-28-2015 at 12:13 PM.
08-28-2015, 02:00 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
Thanks for the story and pictures of a ship that is a large part of my local history. I can actually see the place Tirpitz sunk from the window where im sitting now. Here in Tromsø its very little leftovers from the Tirpitz ship as it was cut up and sold a few years after the war. Its some large water filled bomb craters near the site, a war history museum 20 km away, a memorial monument and thats it. Steel plates from Tirpitz are still used all over Norway for covering up road construction holes during the day. The Tirpitz museum is located in Alta, a 4 hour drive from here. Kåfjorden outside Alta was the second last place it was hidden. It only had a couple of weeks nearby Tromsø before it was sunk by british bomber planes. In Tromsø the loss of Tirpitz was both a relief from the German power and a large tragedy where over 1000 men were killed.[COLOR="Silver"]
Thank you for a very interesting reply. :-)