Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Another small wetlands bites the dust....
Posted By: Heinrich Lohmann, 06-17-2008, 08:44 PM

for more development. A couple weeks ago (before the rain) I went for a walk in the neighbourhood and was surprised to see heavy equipment working on what was last year still a working cattle operation. Anyway here are some pictures:

[img[http://www.pbase.com/hlohmann/image/98453394.jpg[/img]

[img[http://www.pbase.com/hlohmann/image/98453396.jpg[/img]

A little further down the road I found these critters

I believe that I took all of them with the K10D and 50-200

Comments are always welcome.
Views: 2,144
06-18-2008, 02:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Shots and stories like this really make you feel guilty being human. We really are a nasty destructive disease. I feel sorry for the loss of habitat for the birds. I think I will make another donation to Ducks Unlimited.
06-18-2008, 04:19 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agreed Spyglass. I remember also 20 years ago going to a talk with David Suzuki. He was trying to explain that we have to learn to live in high rise buildings because we consume too much fuel to drive from the 'burbs to work and chew up too much farm land. Cities needed to be high density and leave a smaller footprint.
We talk a good talk about the environment but do almost nothing to change things.
06-18-2008, 05:03 AM   #4
mel
Veteran Member

It's sad. I see the same thing around here. It's going on even now that no one can sell their houses due to the slump and businesses are closing in droves. Yet they still carve up the land for yet more houses and more business centers with no one to fill them. And there's more and more animals driven into the roads by development just to be run over.

Oh and I really like the shots of the blackbird. Nice.

06-18-2008, 04:14 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by spyglass Quote
Shots and stories like this really make you feel guilty being human. We really are a nasty destructive disease. I feel sorry for the loss of habitat for the birds. I think I will make another donation to Ducks Unlimited.
Thanks for looking and commenting, it is appreciated.

Take care,
06-18-2008, 04:20 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Agreed Spyglass. I remember also 20 years ago going to a talk with David Suzuki. He was trying to explain that we have to learn to live in high rise buildings because we consume too much fuel to drive from the 'burbs to work and chew up too much farm land. Cities needed to be high density and leave a smaller footprint.
We talk a good talk about the environment but do almost nothing to change things.
Thanks Peter, unfortunately it'll take more than you and me to change it.

BTW, I am driving the whole trip. I do have a bit more time than last year.

Take care,
06-18-2008, 04:20 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
It's sad. I see the same thing around here. It's going on even now that no one can sell their houses due to the slump and businesses are closing in droves. Yet they still carve up the land for yet more houses and more business centers with no one to fill them. And there's more and more animals driven into the roads by development just to be run over.

Thank you Mel, it is appreciated.

Take care,
06-18-2008, 04:27 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done Heinrich, good photos, good story even if it's very sad. Thanks. I live in an area where this doesn't go on...we have no free space outside of a few parks left. To quote Joni Mitchell (one of your fellow Canadians) "You don't know what you've got till its gone".

NaCl(and another small piece of paradise paved for a parking lot)H2O

06-18-2008, 05:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Yet they still carve up the land for yet more houses and more business centers with no one to fill them. And there's more and more animals driven into the roads by development just to be run over.

This is what blows my mind too Mel, I just don't understand it !! I get a sick feeling in my stomach every time I see more former "wild" land getting bulldozed..
06-18-2008, 10:28 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Well done Heinrich, good photos, good story even if it's very sad. Thanks. I live in an area where this doesn't go on...we have no free space outside of a few parks left. To quote Joni Mitchell (one of your fellow Canadians) "You don't know what you've got till its gone".

NaCl(and another small piece of paradise paved for a parking lot)H2O
Thank you for looking and commenting and yes, Joni Mitchell was quite right.

Take care,
06-19-2008, 07:06 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sign of the times here for sure Heinrich - while the doubling and tripling of housing proces has subsided here somewhat (have you looked at Condo's lately ! Wow) there are still more new subdivisions going up. We have soo much land here (Canada in general) , it's a shame to see.
06-19-2008, 08:39 AM   #12
Inactive Account

It's sad to see another wetland area gone. I spend many happy days wandering sloughs and woods, I'd be lost as a city photographer...

Great shots of the Red wing blackbird and mate Heinrich, you really got the variations in the black to stand out well.
06-19-2008, 09:57 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Sign of the times here for sure Heinrich - while the doubling and tripling of housing proces has subsided here somewhat (have you looked at Condo's lately ! Wow) there are still more new subdivisions going up. We have soo much land here (Canada in general) , it's a shame to see.
Hi Dave, housing construction has slowed down here as well and there are actually houses for sale that have been on the market for a while. Couple of years ago most house sold before the sign was up on the front lawn. But never the less new sub devisions are under construction and more land is being cleared.

Take care,
06-19-2008, 10:03 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scott-devon Quote
It's sad to see another wetland area gone. I spend many happy days wandering sloughs and woods, I'd be lost as a city photographer...

Great shots of the Red wing blackbird and mate Heinrich, you really got the variations in the black to stand out well.
Thank you Scott for the kind comments. I would be lost as well without wooded areas and wetlands but the way things go I guess we'll have to go further afield to find them.

Take care,
06-20-2008, 08:31 AM   #15
Veteran Member

ugh it's sickening isn't it. It would be possible to have housing and wildlife habitat together but attitudes will have to change big time. Everyone seems to think domestic landscape = highly shaved lawn.

Nice shots of the blackbirds.