Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Panda
Posted By: mel, 06-18-2008, 04:52 AM

I took a few of the kids to the zoo yesterday (National Zoo, Washington D.C.). I always feel like it's cheating to congratulate myself on pictures of animals that are captive and just lying around doing nothing. I mean it's not like I'm stalking them through the jungles, battling insects and the elements to get that prize-winning shot.

However. This IS a panda and he is so cute. He was also either hiding and snoozing or pacing. Considering the number of shots I got of this guy's hindquarters I do feel like I accomplished something to get the front end of him in a shot or two as well.

The fence makes me think he's a backyard pet or something.

Views: 2,140
06-18-2008, 05:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't like the pose j/k

just love pandas, they are cute animals. And shows personlity.
06-18-2008, 07:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

PANDAAAAAAA! My avatar on other sites is a panda (made by a good e-friend), and I've become quite attached to the cute critters.

< me, with my girlfriend's name written on the side.
06-18-2008, 07:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The first one is "what you looking at"

the second "The great escape"

cheers

06-18-2008, 07:59 AM   #5

The first is a perfect zoo shot in my opinion. good shots! I hope you had a great time
06-18-2008, 10:12 AM   #6
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by devisor Quote
I don't like the pose j/k

just love pandas, they are cute animals. And shows personlity.
Yeah I'm still learning how to make the animals go where I tell them then stay there long enough to get the shot . So far they haven't been very cooperative.

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
PANDAAAAAAA! My avatar on other sites is a panda (made by a good e-friend), and I've become quite attached to the cute critters.

< me, with my girlfriend's name written on the side.
They are pretty cute but I hear they can be rather mean if perturbed too.

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
The first one is "what you looking at"

the second "The great escape"

cheers
Lol.

QuoteOriginally posted by ghost Quote
The first is a perfect zoo shot in my opinion. good shots! I hope you had a great time
Thanks! We did. Except for the time when I was trying to sneak my zoom lens between some heads of onlookers to shoot some otters and a kid turned around right into it and clunked his head. I felt really really bad but it was totally an accident so what could I do?
06-18-2008, 11:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
I took a few of the kids to the zoo yesterday (National Zoo, Washington D.C.). I always feel like it's cheating to congratulate myself on pictures of animals that are captive and just lying around doing nothing. I mean it's not like I'm stalking them through the jungles, battling insects and the elements to get that prize-winning shot.

However. This IS a panda and he is so cute. He was also either hiding and snoozing or pacing. Considering the number of shots I got of this guy's hindquarters I do feel like I accomplished something to get the front end of him in a shot or two as well.
I also do a lot of shooting at the zoo. I just wish our zoo was better. It really is a fairly bad zoo compared to others I've been to. it can be very trying to get a decent shot or even see the animals with all the fences, overgrown vegetation in front of the enclosures, and too many places from the animals to hide from view. We have a lion that i swear has been lying in the same spot for 20 years. In the 20+ years I've been going to this zoo I've never seen him move.

I also seem to get a lot of shots of animals butts.

Nice job with the panda.

06-18-2008, 11:31 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The fence makes me think he's a backyard pet or something.
Good shots Mel, thanks for posting them.

Take care,
06-18-2008, 05:28 PM   #9
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dws1117 Quote
I also do a lot of shooting at the zoo. I just wish our zoo was better. It really is a fairly bad zoo compared to others I've been to. it can be very trying to get a decent shot or even see the animals with all the fences, overgrown vegetation in front of the enclosures, and too many places from the animals to hide from view. We have a lion that i swear has been lying in the same spot for 20 years. In the 20+ years I've been going to this zoo I've never seen him move.

I also seem to get a lot of shots of animals butts.

Nice job with the panda.
This made me laugh. Thanks. For that and the compliment. It seems that sometimes they know you're trying to take their picture and deliberately turn their backsides to us.

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Good shots Mel, thanks for posting them.

Take care,

Thanks!

Last edited by mel; 06-18-2008 at 05:36 PM.
06-18-2008, 05:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

This made me laugh. Thanks. For that and the complement. It seems that sometime they know you're trying to take their picture and deliberately turn their backsides to us.

Thanks!
We ought to start an online gallery/magazine and call it "Fuzzy Tail" That could get a lot of hits from some interesting characters.
06-21-2008, 05:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I like panda. Cute looking
06-21-2008, 09:37 AM   #12
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=mel;271132]I took a few of the kids to the zoo yesterday (National Zoo, Washington D.C.). I always feel like it's cheating to congratulate myself on pictures of animals that are captive and just lying around doing nothing. I mean it's not like I'm stalking them through the jungles, battling insects and the elements to get that prize-winning shot.

It is not cheating...fighting the DC traffic to get there can test the weak at heart.....to get an opportunity to take a picture of those beautiful animals in what ever situation is cool....I been wanting to go but I do not have a decent long zoom yet to make it worth while.....
06-21-2008, 03:15 PM   #13
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I like panda. Cute looking
Yeah they are awfully cute but I hear they can be pretty mean as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by Eastern Shore Charlie Quote
It is not cheating...fighting the DC traffic to get there can test the weak at heart.....to get an opportunity to take a picture of those beautiful animals in what ever situation is cool....I been wanting to go but I do not have a decent long zoom yet to make it worth while.....
Lol. Yes it can. And it was particularly bad that day along 17th/Connecticut as well, with all the construction blocking one lane and the tour buses blocking the other.

I don't think my long lens is what would be considered decent but it seems to get the job done pretty well.

Thanks for looking!