Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
SkyTrains Streaking Across SkyBridge at Dusk
Lens: SMCP DA 12-24mm Camera: K20D Photo Location: Surrey, B.C. ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 6s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: chmance, 08-23-2015, 03:31 AM

Went to Brownsville Bar Park directly below the bridge and waited till after sunset to capture this. The SkyTrain came out as a streak of light using a 6-sec exposure. (This was posted in the monochrome thread earlier.)

Views: 1,089
08-23-2015, 08:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very nicely composed and timed. The water was smoothed out and the flare of the light across the water really sets it off. And the timing of the train. Well done.
08-23-2015, 08:06 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your B&W conversion accentuates the geometric elements of the scene; works great!
08-23-2015, 10:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

That's an awesome shot--that locale is really paying dividends. FWIW, though, this is another comp where I might have shaved the rightmost 1/5th...and it's gotta be in color! (BTW, be sure to check out Mike Oria--MikeSF on PF--his Pacific Rim cityscapes might be an inspiration to you.)

08-23-2015, 10:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by plantej Quote
Very nicely composed and timed. The water was smoothed out and the flare of the light across the water really sets it off. And the timing of the train. Well done.
Thanks so much for the positive comments.

Timing was a real challenge as I forgot to bring my remote. Had to rely on the 2-sec delay and so the timing leaves much to be desired. Yes, that light across the river was a clincher. It was actually much more intense than what appeared in the photo. Glad I used f/11 to modulate it and get that quality of starburst. The DA 12-24mm never disappoints.

---------- Post added 08-23-15 at 10:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Your B&W conversion accentuates the geometric elements of the scene; works great!
Your observation is much appreciated. I used one of the presets in Elements 8.

---------- Post added 08-23-15 at 10:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
That's an awesome shot--that locale is really paying dividends. FWIW, though, this is another comp where I might have shaved the rightmost 1/5th...and it's gotta be in color! (BTW, be sure to check out Mike Oria--MikeSF on PF--his Pacific Rim cityscapes might be an inspiration to you.)
Great minds think alike.

To crop or not to crop a portion of the right side of this has been my dilemma. I did try to do that but it took a bite out of the bottom portion ... which wasn't to my liking because I wanted to maintain the aspect ratio. But am going back there and will try a better angle. This park and the area on the other side of the river have proven very productive indeed.

I will definitely check out Mike Oria's photos.

I struggled coming up with a decent colour version because of banding in the sky. Was told it maybe related to my use of Elements 8, which was released when dinosaurs roamed Canada, for RAW processing. But here the best I could do:

Last edited by chmance; 08-24-2015 at 12:54 AM. Reason: typos
08-24-2015, 12:59 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Great shot!
08-24-2015, 01:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Janse Quote
Great shot!
Thanks Janse for the kind words : )

08-24-2015, 05:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Ha, can't leave those colors in the camera! This might be a case, though, where you'd be justified in using selective color on the train--it's a bit too much of a blur to register as anything else than a lighting artifact.

At any rate, great work--a lot of the guys on the Medium Format really provide a masterclass in cityscapes, but don't blame me if you come away needing a 645 Zed.
08-25-2015, 01:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Ha, can't leave those colors in the camera! This might be a case, though, where you'd be justified in using selective color on the train--it's a bit too much of a blur to register as anything else than a lighting artifact.

At any rate, great work--a lot of the guys on the Medium Format really provide a masterclass in cityscapes, but don't blame me if you come away needing a 645 Zed.
You're absolutely right CreationBear. The train is reduced to a lighting artifact and it works best in monochrome. Hence, the title "SkyTrain Streaking ...".

I've checked out Mike Oria's cityscapes. They are out of this world! I can only dream of taking photos in that elite league.

Concerning needing the 645 Zee ... again I can only dream

Cheers!

Charlie