Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
to silent Palestine/Dominion of the blood and selpulchre.
Lens: K20/4 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Hastie Natural Area, Knoxville ISO: 80 
Posted By: CreationBear, 08-23-2015, 01:31 PM

Sunday morning found me in a less-than-orthodox mood, so I grabbed the K5 and whatever lens was on it--in this case, a K-series 20/4 (and the trusty Uniloc as well) and slipped down the road to my local "backyard" wilderness area. For my troubles I was rained-on and inhaled any number of spiny orb-weavers and mosquitos along the way, but then panentheism isn't (only) for sissies these days...

Views: 1,600
08-23-2015, 03:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

STUNNING! The green rendition is simply breathtaking! Number 2 is like something out of a fairy tale!

It may be just my eyes playing tricks on me, but is seems that greens are rendered best with the wider angle lenses. I wonder if there's anything scientific about my observation? Have any of you noticed that, also?
08-23-2015, 05:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
greens are rendered best with the wider angle lenses
Ha, a little different from your AO, isn't it?

That's a interesting insight about greens and WA lenses--one thing I should have mentioned was that I was running a CPL, which tends to saturate colors a bit (although after a wet summer here in Tennessee, the greens still look natural to my eyes.) That said, some of the WA "legacy" glass I've used--like the K28/3.5--seems to skew toward yellow a bit, which might explain the greens having a bit more pop--while the K55/1.8 and K135/2.5 seem a little "bluer." At any rate, I'll look forward to some shots of your country this fall--although if I were you, I'd definitely put Oregon on the itinerary again if I could.
08-23-2015, 05:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Ha, a little different from your AO, isn't it?

That's a interesting insight about greens and WA lenses--one thing I should have mentioned was that I was running a CPL, which tends to saturate colors a bit (although after a wet summer here in Tennessee, the greens still look natural to my eyes.) That said, some of the WA "legacy" glass I've used--like the K28/3.5--seems to skew toward yellow a bit, which might explain the greens having a bit more pop--while the K55/1.8 and K135/2.5 seem a little "bluer." At any rate, I'll look forward to some shots of your country this fall--although if I were you, I'd definitely put Oregon on the itinerary again if I could.

Parts Oregon and SW Idaho are ablaze at the moment! One of my favorite places on earth, John Day, Oregon is in dire straits with fire threatening evacuation of the town! But, yep, I'd love to go back and catch the late evening setting sun on that gorgeous pasture land and hill country around Vale some time soon.

I have several prime WA lenses, all manual, all 28mm, but I've never taken the time to give them their "day in the sun," so to speak. I have a very nice little Pentax-M 28mm f:3.5 that's been whispering from the lens cabinet for some time now, "try me next! try me next!," but I've yet to answer the call. I have it's cousin, the f:2.8 also, as well as a Ricoh, a couple of Sears and an old, but very clean JC Penney's lens that I've read some very good reviews on. So many lenses, so little time! As far as the CPL, I've been wrestling with that subject lately and have yet to resolve the issues I'm having.

08-23-2015, 06:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I have a very nice little Pentax-M 28mm f:3.5 that's been whispering from the lens cabinet
Ha, just wait til FFdrops! At any rate, I really dig the 28mm FL on a crop sensor...it really seems to fit what I'm looking at most of the time.
08-23-2015, 08:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
"Greenest state in the land of the free" -Davy Crockett. Beautiful State E.TN.
08-23-2015, 08:29 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Alrighty then, we've now had 2 threads posted here within the week referencing American poems. I had to Google the title, though, as I'm very much a lightweight wrt Wallace Stevens.

All of of these photos are lush and lovely, but I'm repeatedly drawn to #4. Not just green and brown, wood and stone, but also the complex, tenuous branches of the fallen tree reaching to the blunt permanence of the rocks.

08-24-2015, 05:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by plantej Quote
"Greenest state in the land of the free"

Ha, before we got the PNW, perhaps...but after this summer we'll give you a run for your money.

---------- Post added 08-24-15 at 05:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote

Ha, the value of literature is that you can always find talented people giving you license to do what it was you wanted to do, anyway. Glad you liked #4--I've got an edit I might post later...all of the processing on these was done with mud still on my boots.

Last edited by CreationBear; 08-24-2015 at 06:15 AM.
08-25-2015, 10:32 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ha, the value of literature is that you can always find talented people giving you license to do what it was you wanted to do, anyway. Glad you liked #4--I've got an edit I might post later...all of the processing on these was done with mud still on my boots.

I think I prefer your original. The boulders in the foreground are a bit more emphasized, which balances nicely with the fallen tree. Although perhaps your edited photo is "more realistic"?
08-25-2015, 12:28 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sunday morning found me in a less-than-orthodox mood, so I grabbed the K5 and whatever lens was on it--in this case, a K-series 20/4 (and the trusty Uniloc as well) and slipped down the road to my local "backyard" wilderness area. For my troubles I was rained-on and inhaled any number of spiny orb-weavers and mosquitos along the way, but then panentheism isn't (only) for sissies these days...

Nice shots of the East Tennessee rain forest. The greens are amazing. We aren't as wet, but these remind me of a park down by the Sound here in the spring with wet, vibrant greens and lots of storm felled trees--and ticks.
David
08-25-2015, 01:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
wet, vibrant greens

Thanks for commenting...the Hastie Natural Area trailhead is about a hundred yards from our new digs in South K'ville, so it's nice to roll out without to much ado. (FWIW, we're a couple of houses down from Tom Davis, who might have been at UT while you were there.)

Lufftluss-- Definitely a lot of variables to tweak! You might find this one overcooked, but I'm curious what you think:

08-26-2015, 02:28 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lufftluss-- Definitely a lot of variables to tweak! You might find this one overcooked, but I'm curious what you think:

That's the fun and frustration of our hobby - so many possibilities, sometimes I'm nearly paralyzed by choice.

I don't find your new edit to be overcooked. It has a different mood - I'd say more somber - whereas the original is dreamy (or as Dewman said, "fairy tale").

Have you experimented with cropping? I see the foreground tree to the left is nearly parallel with a tangle of trees just to the right of center, and the path leading in from the bottom edge is at a complementary angle. You seem to be drawn to strongly geometric elements, so you've probably pondered this already.
08-26-2015, 04:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Have you experimented with cropping?

That's a good point--I'll see what a square crop does the next time I fire up the iMac...maybe there will be a good "spiral" in there somewhere. (FWIW, I did shoot a few in portrait orientation which might work the angles you mention a bit better, though I lose foreground "anchor" on the left side of the frame.)

Of course, it's mostly just serendipity--I didn't even know I was shooting an 8-second exposure until I thought my camera had bricked!
08-26-2015, 04:53 PM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I didn't even know I was shooting an 8-second exposure until I thought my camera had bricked!
Aye they (cameras) do attempt to catch you out now and again with pretend brickings.
08-26-2015, 05:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
pretend brickings

Ha, I actually got more of my share of "bricks" on that stroll--the K20/4 at least needs to have LV turned off before you trip the shutter (which isn't true, I think, of my other K-series lenses.)

At any rate, the color that folks have been referring to is called green--I suspect it's in short supply on Planet Scotland.