Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Gloom
Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Scotland 
Posted By: GeoJerry, 08-24-2015, 01:04 AM

Another batch of gloom here. Of the 17 days we were in Scotland, I think we might have had 2-3 that didn't rain at all, and only a couple of days had some nice clear spells.

A remote homestead on the east coast. I asked the captain of our boat who lived in these places. He said they were increasingly being sold to wealthy retirees and vacationers.

This cottage, on closer inspection, was found to be hosting lots of propane tanks littered about the side you can’t see from here. I think it’s some kind of trekker’s shelter.

A small glen between Diabaig and Shieldaig. A trail follows this glen up and around to the right, and it ends up near the trekker's shelter (above). I wanted to scramble down there and get a shot of the waterfall that was there, but it was wet and a little dangerous.

Sights like this are everywhere in the highlands. This one was about 5 miles from our hotel.

It would have been nice to have had just one clear day in the highlands, but at least the gloom makes for some moody images.

Views: 1,029
08-24-2015, 02:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have made good of the gloom, especially the last one.
08-24-2015, 06:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
I think it’s some kind of trekker’s shelter.
They are called bothies and can provide life saving shelter if you get caught in really bad Scottish weather. They are basic accommodation, usually free, for those walking in the mountains and have been known to accommodate(?) far more people than they were designed for if the weather suddenly takes a turn for the worse.
08-24-2015, 02:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks AussieTrev, mohb. Despite my whining I actually liked the gloom and all its drama.

08-24-2015, 02:39 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Another batch of gloom here
They all look like fine Summers day shots to me...
08-24-2015, 06:14 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like you made the most of the doom and gloom. I have had vacations like those. Nice thing about that kind of lighting is it can give you a more subdued look.

Michael
08-24-2015, 10:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
They all look like fine Summers day shots to me...
Right. On the bad days I couldn't shoot at all.

---------- Post added 08-24-15 at 10:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
Looks like you made the most of the doom and gloom. I have had vacations like those. Nice thing about that kind of lighting is it can give you a more subdued look.
Thanks Michael, and I agree with you, this kind of weather does make for some drama. A little variety would have been nice though! LOL

08-25-2015, 07:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I love the energy those skies project. In the first one the light seems to gently showcase the property. Lovely shots. You should sell these to a travel agency.
08-25-2015, 08:43 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another great series GeoJerry.
Only about 1580 to go, or are some so dark and gloomy that Lightroom couldn't recover them?
08-26-2015, 01:11 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by plantej Quote
I love the energy those skies project. In the first one the light seems to gently showcase the property. Lovely shots. You should sell these to a travel agency.
Thanks plantej! I don't know if I'll ever sell a photo.... but..... I did send a few castle pictures to the National Trust of Scotland, and they're going to appear in the Trust's September newsletter! That's pretty cool for me!

---------- Post added 08-26-15 at 01:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Another great series GeoJerry.
Only about 1580 to go, or are some so dark and gloomy that Lightroom couldn't recover them?
Thanks Rod... and yes there are a few that wouldn't work. But I often bracketed these shots so I usually did have an editable RAW to work with. I also had trouble with rain. Trying to shoot a time exposure or even any picture was tricky and I had a lot of shots ruined by rain drops on the lens that were just too big to clone out.
08-26-2015, 01:51 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice series Jerry, love the second one.
08-26-2015, 04:19 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Thanks plantej! I don't know if I'll ever sell a photo.... but..... I did send a few castle pictures to the National Trust of Scotland, and they're going to appear in the Trust's September newsletter! That's pretty cool for me!

---------- Post added 08-26-15 at 01:13 AM ----------

Thanks Rod... and yes there are a few that wouldn't work. But I often bracketed these shots so I usually did have an editable RAW to work with. I also had trouble with rain. Trying to shoot a time exposure or even any picture was tricky and I had a lot of shots ruined by rain drops on the lens that were just too big to clone out.
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
I did send a few castle pictures to the National Trust of Scotland, and they're going to appear in the Trust's September newsletter! That's pretty cool for me!
That is way so cool. Good for you!
08-26-2015, 08:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Can't add much but only to re-echo others - this is a lovely set that well-illustrates your talents and the richness of this "gloomy" landscape...
08-27-2015, 12:59 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mole Quote
Can't add much but only to re-echo others - this is a lovely set that well-illustrates your talents and the richness of this "gloomy" landscape...
Thanks very much mole! I'm flattered, considering the quality of all the shots you've posted!