Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
  #1
I just can't resist
Posted By: mel, 06-18-2008, 09:59 AM

Okay I know they're captive animals and all but I just can't resist posting some of these oh so cute and cuddly zoo critters. So here's some kittycats, birdies, froggies, and some others. All from the National Zoo (Smithsonian, Washington D.C.)



I know this one is a bit soft but I liked the pose


I wanted to take a couple of these home and plant them in my front yard


(through glass)


Ringtailed Lemur


Meerkat lookout (through glass)

Views: 1,177
06-18-2008, 11:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member
dws1117's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spring, TX.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,157
That first shot of the tiger is really awesome. I love the action. Good job.
06-18-2008, 11:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member
barbosas's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lisbon
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 683
Hi,

that toad through glass is really nice.

Congrats
06-18-2008, 05:21 PM   #4
mel
Veteran Member
mel's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Virginia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,531
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dws1117 Quote
That first shot of the tiger is really awesome. I love the action. Good job.
Thanks! I like it because it looks like he's being ferocious and snarling but in reality I think he was just panting, trying to dissapate heat.

QuoteOriginally posted by barbosas Quote
Hi,

that toad through glass is really nice.

Congrats
Thanks! It's a poison dart from from the Amazon I believe. There were some really cool blue poisonous frogs as well but I couldn't get a decent shot of those. They were hiding.

06-18-2008, 06:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member
sajmmiller's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Prescott, Arizona USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 585
Really like the first tiger shot. The way the tiger's face is illuminated with a spot of light is really great.
06-19-2008, 04:48 AM   #6
Senior Member
libbe's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 117
Your images are very very good, even though these are captive animals it doesn't bother me that much.

Here is a "portrait" of a captive penguin i took WAY WAY back in 2007.

06-19-2008, 05:35 AM   #7
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: ohio
Posts: 249
Where are the lions? we have tigers and bears..oh my lol....Bob
06-19-2008, 05:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member
rmtagg's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Warrington, PA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,271
really nice shots Love the soft one too.

06-19-2008, 06:08 AM   #9
mel
Veteran Member
mel's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Virginia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,531
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sajmmiller Quote
Really like the first tiger shot. The way the tiger's face is illuminated with a spot of light is really great.
Thanks!! I got lucky there. Actually just getting the creature without his (her?) head buried in the bamboo was lucky!

QuoteOriginally posted by libbe Quote
Your images are very very good, even though these are captive animals it doesn't bother me that much.

Here is a "portrait" of a captive penguin i took WAY WAY back in 2007.
Thank you. Nice penguins. I love penguins but I didn't see any that day.

QuoteOriginally posted by robert Quote
Where are the lions? we have tigers and bears..oh my lol....Bob
Lol. I did get some lions. Well one. But the shots didn't excite me too much. But pandas aren't really bears now are they.

QuoteOriginally posted by rmtagg Quote
really nice shots Love the soft one too.
Thank you! Yeah I kinda like that one too.
06-19-2008, 06:38 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
daacon's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Alberta,Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,835
Nice series - I agree the first tiger shot is my favorite can't tell it is in captivity - and I am not sure about you , but shooting tigers with camera might be safer at a zoo ! (althouhg a Safari would be way cool as well).
06-19-2008, 07:03 AM   #11
mel
Veteran Member
mel's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Virginia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,531
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Nice series - I agree the first tiger shot is my favorite can't tell it is in captivity - and I am not sure about you , but shooting tigers with camera might be safer at a zoo ! (althouhg a Safari would be way cool as well).
Yeah I agree. When my tiger friend was showing off teeth I was rather happy there were barriers between us. But yes a safari would be cool.
06-19-2008, 07:38 AM   #12
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,414
Great photos. I was at that zoo last fall but the tigers weren't being very cooperative when I was there.
06-19-2008, 08:28 AM   #13
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,143
Very nice shots, the first one of the tiger is definitely my favourite but the ringtailed lemur is a very close second.
06-19-2008, 08:55 AM   #14
Pentaxian
cardinal43's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,406
Nice work! I have to admit though, I missed the part where you said "National Zoo", and only saw the Smithsonian part. I was thinking,..."wait a minute, I was just there a month or so ago and I didn't see any of this". Went back and looked again and saw the mention of the zoo. Guess my age is really catching up to me. DUH!
06-19-2008, 11:42 AM   #15
mel
Veteran Member
mel's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Virginia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,531
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
Great photos. I was at that zoo last fall but the tigers weren't being very cooperative when I was there.
Thanks! It was relatively cool so we got lucky.

QuoteOriginally posted by scott-devon Quote
Very nice shots, the first one of the tiger is definitely my favourite but the ringtailed lemur is a very close second.
Thanks! I had a great shot of one of the lemurs launching into a leap. I caught it just as it was leaving the platform and it's arms were up in its leaping pose. But alas, I wasn't anticipating it very well and cut off the poor thing's shoulder and part of it's back. I'm still berating myself for not having the zoom backed out a little further to compensate for such errors. Oh well. Maybe next time.

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Nice work! I have to admit though, I missed the part where you said "National Zoo", and only saw the Smithsonian part. I was thinking,..."wait a minute, I was just there a month or so ago and I didn't see any of this". Went back and looked again and saw the mention of the zoo. Guess my age is really catching up to me. DUH!
Thanks!! Yeah they're keeping live animals at the Natural History museum now!!!

For those that don't know the National Zoo is part of the Smithsonian group of museums and stuff.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, glass, photo, zoo
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Okay, Okay, I cannot resist CharlieO Pentax DSLR Discussion 43 04-10-2010 04:11 AM
How could I resist? little laker Pentax Film SLR Discussion 4 02-22-2010 11:10 AM
I Couldn't Resist Mike Cash Post Your Photos! 15 05-13-2008 05:49 PM
Couldn't resist the LBA!!! synnyster Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 05-06-2008 01:56 PM
Couldn't resist ;) Jana Post Your Photos! 15 12-04-2006 02:16 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:00 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top