Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
Summer Blooms
Lens: FA 50 macro, DA 221, A 35-105 Camera: K 5 IIs Photo Location: East Tennessee 
Posted By: mole, 08-26-2015, 08:46 PM

Have enjoyed MANY botanical hikes this summer, enjoying the wild places and searching out various rare and unusual plant populations. Here are just a few "fruits" of the hikes.

There is a fungus disease attacking several of our native Lily species. For some reason, the Michaux's Lily seems to be immune to the disease. This is under careful study by local botanists.

Unfortunately, the rare Gray's Lily up at Roan Mountain is affected by the lily disease. Here are several views of some healthier specimens.

The much more common Turk's Cap Lily is also affected by the fungus disease.

Here's another plant that is rather rare in general, but fairly common in the high places like Roan Mountain. Michaux's Saxifrage thrives where it's high, rocky and wet.

Mountain Angelica also thrives in those high damp places. This one is just opening up at Roan Mountain.

Here's a very rare mountain bloom. The tiny Rock Harlequin is an endangered species here in Tennessee. This one was along the Appalachian Trail near Firescald Knob.

Now for a common flower of the high places. Hairy Skullcap seems such an odd name for such a pretty plant. This one was blooming at Holston Mountain.

And another fairly common high elevation flower, called, appropriately enough, Mountain Sorrel. We saw LOTS of these in bloom on the newly-relocated stretch of Appalachian Trail at the high NW corner of Rocky Fork.

Cool mountain streams are perfect for Bee Balm. Here's one of the MANY blooming at Rocky Fork.

This is a very common summer flower of the lower elevations - Black Eyed Susan. It's everywhere in the sunny meadows here in East Tennessee.

Here is its somewhat less common cousin called Brown Eyed Susan. Blooms a bit later, for a shorter time, and has smaller flowers.

How about a few native orchids? Here's one of the commonest - Downy Rattlesnake Plantain (called "plantain," but actually an orchid).

And its smaller, MUCH rare cousin Lesser Rattlesnake Plantain.

Here's the rather rare Lesser Purple Fringed Orchid (a threatened species in Tennessee) blooming at Rocky Fork.

And its much more common cousin Yellow Fringed Orchid blooming at Holston Mountain.

Here's a close-up of the YF Orchid.

White Wood Asters blooming are a clue that summer is about overů

Hope you enjoyed the "botanical tour," and that you'll share your comments and suggestions!

Views: 2,147
08-27-2015, 12:34 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A lot of very nice shots!
08-27-2015, 12:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Some fantastic macros here. I really like the 5th one but there are several that could easily take my #1 spot depending on mood. Great stuff!
08-27-2015, 06:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Awesome thread: you keep dropping new species on me--I'm not sure I've seen Rock Harlequin, and probably overlooked Lesser Rattlesnake Plantain. That said, the wood aster is one of my favorite shots I've seen from you--is that with your close-up filter on the DA 21? (I've been playing around with a Canon 500D on my K20/4 but haven't used it in the field.)

08-27-2015, 09:35 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
superlative series... really enjoy those vibrant colors, and the definition is spot on... thanks for sharing! dave m
08-27-2015, 10:17 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great photographs, and I'm glad to know names with the flowers. Makes me want to get back to the mountains!
08-27-2015, 08:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wow. You have proven why TN is one of the most beautiful states. Teaming with life. Thanks for all these fine photos.
08-27-2015, 09:46 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What everyone else has said, truly amazing images.

08-28-2015, 05:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Janse Quote
A lot of very nice shots!
Thanks so much!

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Some fantastic macros here. I really like the 5th one but there are several that could easily take my #1 spot depending on mood. Great stuff!
Glad you enjoyed them. We are blessed with such amazing plant diversity here in the Tennessee hills!

QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Awesome thread: you keep dropping new species on me--I'm not sure I've seen Rock Harlequin, and probably overlooked Lesser Rattlesnake Plantain. That said, the wood aster is one of my favorite shots I've seen from you--is that with your close-up filter on the DA 21? (I've been playing around with a Canon 500D on my K20/4 but haven't used it in the field.)
Rock Harlequin = Corydalis sempervirens. Only reported for 8 counties in Tennessee - and it's a biennial, so locations can change from year to year. If you are ever up this way, will be glad to take you to the Firescald Knob area to see these, and also some amazing views, etc. Lesser Rattlesnake Plantain = Goodyera repens. Also only reported in 8 TN counties, all along the TN/NC border. Come on up to NE TN, and I'll take you to some amazing hikes at Rocky Fork where this plant is found...The White Wood Aster was indeed with the DA 21, but no need for close-up filter. Just moved so that the blooms were within the minimum focus distance. That's one of my favorite "mood" shots recently too.

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
superlative series... really enjoy those vibrant colors, and the definition is spot on... thanks for sharing! dave m
You are too kind!

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
Great photographs, and I'm glad to know names with the flowers. Makes me want to get back to the mountains!
Well, if you are ever back this way, let me know - maybe we can arrange a hike or two.

QuoteOriginally posted by plantej Quote
Wow. You have proven why TN is one of the most beautiful states. Teaming with life. Thanks for all these fine photos.
Indeed a state blessed with amazing living diversity!

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
What everyone else has said, truly amazing images.
Thanks so much!
08-29-2015, 02:01 PM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
White Wood Asters
I'm really liking this image a lot.
08-29-2015, 03:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

For me this is what I mean when I say "nature" - excellent.
But then you live in, perhaps, one of the most biologically diverse areas of N. America.
The Angelica shot is spot on.
08-29-2015, 07:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I'm really liking this image a lot.
So glad you enjoyed the White Wood Aster in the foggy woods - that was one of my wife's favorites too.

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
For me this is what I mean when I say "nature" - excellent.
But then you live in, perhaps, one of the most biologically diverse areas of N. America.
The Angelica shot is spot on.
Indeed incredible diversity here in the Southern Appalachians! We are fortunate & blessed...
08-29-2015, 09:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow these are inspiring shots! I feel as though I took that hike with you mole enjoying the floral diversity of your part of the USA. Creation Bear is right about that shot of the wood asters: it's very artistic!
09-03-2015, 05:56 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Impossible to pick a favorite. All are first rate images. Bravo!
09-21-2015, 07:46 PM   #15

These are fantastic images and great text. I live in northeast Tennessee so maybe sometime we could go for a photo walk together. I would love to learn more especially about spring wildflower locations, they are some of my favorite photo subjects. Keep up the great work!