Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First decent Jay shots
Posted By: wissink, 08-27-2015, 07:52 AM

Here's my first decent Jay shots. They were taken while visiting family last week in Eastern Ontario. I don't see birds in general unless I'm using the camera. Here's a couple war amps squirrels. They've lasted longer than most around here. Our whippet has turned 8 into mustaches thus far. I need a photo of that.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Views: 1,061
08-27-2015, 08:52 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jays are a popular item on the forum. Your first image is ƒ11, and 1/500. I generally try and keep my shutter sped at over 1/1000 for birds if possible, but then having said that, I have images taken at 1/30, it all depends on conditions. And I shoot at ƒ5.6. ON APS-c it usually gives me enough DOF.

That's an interesting squirrel, I always like it when their little feet are sharp, good job.
08-27-2015, 10:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I think I had it at F11 as I was hoping to catch them in flight to and from the feeder and thought F11 would improve my chances. I agree 1/500th was probably too slow. Sadly they weren't around long enough for me to experiment.

The black squirrel is missing his tail and I cant tell but the grey one might be missing a front left foot. If not that one then there is another grey that is. Resilient little guys.
08-27-2015, 10:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Nice Jay shooting...I shoot a lot of Jays myself and they are such fast movers they are indeed hard to shoot, you did a good job.

Of course, I must point out that Otis said they are no match for the handsome squirrel you posted! Otis said he is holding his little belly because "birds are disgusting".

Regards!

08-27-2015, 10:52 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wissink Quote
I think I had it at F11 as I was hoping to catch them in flight to and from the feeder and thought F11 would improve my chances. I agree 1/500th was probably too slow. Sadly they weren't around long enough for me to experiment.

The black squirrel is missing his tail and I cant tell but the grey one might be missing a front left foot. If not that one then there is another grey that is. Resilient little guys.
For Jays in flight, 1/1000 isn't fast enough, and ƒ4 isn't wide enough DoF. You're between a rock and a hard place.

08-27-2015, 11:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Sometimes you just get lucky at 1/200....

Norm....You have some great Doggie shots.....you know, it's National Doggie Day...hope you post some in that thread!
Your Doggies don't even have to cross the border to be included, they are like family here!

Regards!
08-27-2015, 06:50 PM   #7
Pentaxian

When I get lucky it looks more like this, Gray Jays instead of Blue Jays...

Or this

Or this...

Last edited by normhead; 08-27-2015 at 07:01 PM.
08-29-2015, 08:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Nice shots Normhead and Rupert--lucky or otherwise . Yes I've been reading up on Otis here on these forums, quite the formidable little fellow--not to be underestimated.