Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Trying a Wide Angle Lens for a Close Up Shot
Lens: SMCP K 35mm f/3.5 Camera: J5 Photo Location: Vancouver,BC ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/30s 
Posted By: chmance, 08-29-2015, 02:42 AM

I love using this lens for close-up work that requires much DOF. Unfortunately, the bokeh leaves much to be desired : (

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Views: 1,339
08-29-2015, 04:12 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A very good effort though.
08-29-2015, 01:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
the bokeh leaves much to be desired

Well, you're streaming in "3-D," so be happy about that!

Otherwise, take a look at PF member "Mole"'s recent thread on "Summer Blooms"--wonderful "technical" macros (i.e. precise focus and blurry backgrounds) but the shot that really knocked me out was the "environmental" scene of the wood asters he took with his DA21. In other words I think you're on the right track artistically--so many "macro" flower shots seem sterile to me (when they don't border on the gynecological), though you might want to spring for a K28/2 "Hollywood" if the genre gets in your head.
08-29-2015, 06:30 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Nice, but it seems underexposed. Neither your posted info or the exif listed shows the f-stop.

08-29-2015, 07:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Very nice composition, and very fine use of that old classic lens - must agree though that it looks a bit dark (to these old eyes).
08-29-2015, 08:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
A very good effort though.
Thanks eaglem. This lens is fun and it can be coaxed to render a better bokeh that this. The brilliant colour of the magnolias more than make up for the odd bokeh.

---------- Post added 08-29-15 at 08:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Well, you're streaming in "3-D," so be happy about that!

Otherwise, take a look at PF member "Mole"'s recent thread on "Summer Blooms"--wonderful "technical" macros (i.e. precise focus and blurry backgrounds) but the shot that really knocked me out was the "environmental" scene of the wood asters he took with his DA21. In other words I think you're on the right track artistically--so many "macro" flower shots seem sterile to me (when they don't border on the gynecological), though you might want to spring for a K28/2 "Hollywood" if the genre gets in your head.
Thanks for your comment.

Now that you mention about the 3D thing about about this picture, I think I can appreciate it better.

I have searched for Mole's "Summer Blooms" but can't find it. Will ask him since he has a comment below.

---------- Post added 08-29-15 at 08:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Nice, but it seems underexposed. Neither your posted info or the exif listed shows the f-stop.
Thanks for the positive comment Special K.

I think the monitor I used at home is overly bright. Now that am using a calibrated monitor here in the office, I can definitely say it is underexposed.

The lens I used is a K series and, hence, the aperture doesn't show in the EXIF file. I would imagine that I shot this at f/8 give or take one stop.

---------- Post added 08-29-15 at 08:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mole Quote
Very nice composition, and very fine use of that old classic lens - must agree though that it looks a bit dark (to these old eyes).
Thanks Mole for the compliment.

Creation commented above about your beautiful series called "Summer Bloom". I would love to see the photos, especially that of the wood asters. Would you be kind enough to provide me the link.

I agree with you. The photo above is underexposed and so worked on it again and posted the new one below.

Cheers!

Charlie
08-29-2015, 08:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Edited photo to correct underexposure:

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo