Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Let There Be Light and Then Add Glass and Steel
Lens: SMCP DA 16-45 f/4.0 Camera: K10D Photo Location: Vancouver, B.C. ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F14 
Posted By: chmance, 08-30-2015, 07:07 PM

This is one spot in downtown Vancouver that I fell in love with the first time I visited this place in April 1986: the end of False Creek where the Telus World of Science is located. The Buckminster-Fuller-inspired geodesic dome was constructed for the World Expo 86 during which it served as the Expo Centre. It is a lovely location for picture taking especially late in the afternoon when the setting sun illuminates the structures. (I have a colour version of this but I find the colours too distracting for the purpose of this photo.)

Those condo high-rises behind the dome are sitting on some of the most precious pieces of land in the world. A smallish three-bedroom unit will easily set you back by more than a Cdn $1.5M. But with the Canadian loonie in a tailspin because of lower price for oil, that amount is still a bargain. Lately, Vancouver properties have become even more attractive to wealthy overseas investors from the Pacific Rim nations. Great for the real estate industry here but sad for the locals who are increasingly priced out of the market.

Last edited by chmance; 08-30-2015 at 07:08 PM. Reason: corrected year dome was built
Views: 986
08-12-2018, 11:43 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting scene, with different textures and tones
08-12-2018, 12:12 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Very nice!