Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Flying stumps
Lens: Sigma 150 - 500 Camera: K5ii Photo Location: Todmorden ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/800s Aperture: F7.1 
Posted By: mohb, 09-01-2015, 03:01 AM

As the cricket season comes to its end it was nice to catch a 'classic' moment as a fast bowler beats the bat and sends a stump flying

Views: 791
09-01-2015, 06:21 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great timing on these images, you must have reactions like a Jedi Knight...

Or was this some form of burst mode.
09-01-2015, 06:56 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Great timing on these images, you must have reactions like a Jedi Knight...

Or was this some form of burst mode.
As I am not a Jedi and don't fancy having to edit a 1000 photos each game the trick is to pick the bowler/batsman combination.
As the bowler was a Pakistani international fast bowler and the batsman was a lower order batsman only recently promoted from the 2nd team there was always a chance of this happening.
Burst mode is really the only effective way of shooting cricket but I only do it for fun and prefer watching without a camera stuck to my face so I just select bits of the game to photograph.
09-01-2015, 07:03 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
bowler was a Pakistani international fast bowler and the batsman was a lower order
Thanks for the background info, a bit of foresight produces quality shots like this, again well done.

09-01-2015, 07:19 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Thanks for the background info, a bit of foresight produces quality shots like this, again well done.
Thankyou, cricket is like most other things in photography where a good understanding of your subject vastly increases your chances of getting a good shot.
09-01-2015, 07:40 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great shot and excellent timing.
Knowledge of the game and the players is mandatory to get these kind of shots and a little bit of luck is a great help. Like you I also like to shoot sports but I don't want to get home with 1000+ shots of a match or sporting event. A short fast burts is needed but you don't have to shoot a burst with every throw of every bowler.