Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
Bumblebee
Posted By: csa, 09-03-2015, 09:35 AM

It was very overcast, so not good lighting, and was handheld. This is with the Sigma 105 Macro. (I'm just learning macro, so be gentle! )

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Views: 1,985
09-03-2015, 09:39 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cool! Bumbles are a fun subject because you can get right up on them. Well, some of the males can get pretty frisky when it's warm...

I think this is a male Bombus ternarius based on color and geography. We don't have them here, but have a few others with brown belts or patches.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombus_ternarius
09-03-2015, 10:05 AM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Terry, thanks for that link! That definitely does look like what I have here. They love the Russian Sage, which is where I found this little one.
09-03-2015, 12:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, sage will attract them. Hyssop is also hugely popular. Right now you'll see mostly males gathering enough to stay alive long enough for the queens to emerge. I've seen a few queens out looking for love, so keep your eyes open. The queens are BIG. Once they've mated they'll continue to fatten up for a while then go find somewhere to winter over.

Males have to camp out, they're not allowed back in the nests. You'll see them sleeping under leaves and under or on flowers.

09-03-2015, 12:40 PM   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Terry, that's really interesting! I'll definitely be on the lookout for queens!
09-03-2015, 12:58 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The best time to look for queens is in the spring. Early on - April, May, that's all you'll see. Probably. They are big, fast, and rarely stop. They're looking for nesting spots. The best thing we can all do for them is provide forage. This is a good time to spread seeds around and plan for next year. You may see them where the males congregate, though.

I tried to get some pictures of mating last year, but the pictures weren't good. They were fairly deep in the plants and the act was over so soon.
09-03-2015, 02:45 PM   #7
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
It was very overcast, so not good lighting, and was handheld. This is with the Sigma 105 Macro. (I'm just learning macro, so be gentle! )
You're fine except if time allows, you should "work the scene".

Watch the bee until it moves or you move to get a better angle, a view that tell us something more about the bee ( or any subject). All I've got on our Butterfly bush is Carpenter Bees ( often mistaken for bumble bees) but here is an example on my blog: Mea Culpa, Soggy Bee and Circular Polarizer

I don't have a macro lens but used a Tamron 28-75/2.8 with a 1.5x TC so focal length and DoF are similar;

09-04-2015, 06:57 AM   #8
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I wasn't able to "work the scene", as the bee was quite low in the bush, and I am physically unable to get low to take photos of it from a different angle. When it moved it went deeper into the bush, not able to photograph then.
09-04-2015, 07:19 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, the males seem to have three modes:
Frantic foraging
Defending territory
Sleeping.

I'm not certain, but males may not start defending territory until they detect queens.
BTW, not all nests will produce queens. They'll all produce males. Workers can lay eggs which will hatch as males, being haploid. Only fertilized ova can be females and only some of those will be queens (the queen decides, likely based on available nutrients). A successful colony will produce several queens and lots of males - by queens and some workers.

http://smile.amazon.com/Bumblebees-Behaviour-Conservation-Dave-Goulson/dp/01...6C5QYMFRXB2QB5
That's a great book. Goulson is English, but the book is not limited to British Bumbles.
09-04-2015, 09:34 AM   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Terry, thanks for the link; you've really got me interested in knowing more about bees!
09-04-2015, 11:03 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's how I started, now look at me.
Obsessed with tiny 3mm bees on the goldenrod. Will I ever get one in focus? Any tiny vibration knocks them out of plane...maybe the ring flash will help. I'll have to find the right adapters.
09-04-2015, 11:52 AM   #12
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I wasn't able to "work the scene", as the bee was quite low in the bush, and I am physically unable to get low to take photos of it from a different angle. When it moved it went deeper into the bush, not able to photograph then.
Of course, that's why I said " if time allows". There are lots of things that can happen: it flies away or moves where you can't reach it, rain starts, you have to leave, etc. But if you can, stay with it as you are able.

As a new Medicare enrollee, I understand the difficulty of getting down. You can always try holding the camera down lower and letting the auto focus work its magic, you may get lucky. The newer model with the flip-up or articulating rear screen with live view could be a good idea.
09-04-2015, 12:02 PM   #13
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm way past being a "new" Medicare enrollee! Both my knees are bone on bone, and a fractured, collapsed vertebrae does not allow me any bending, etc. Yes, I'd love to have the KS2, with the articulating screen, however for the few times I'd really need it; I'm quite happy for the time being with the equipment I have. When I'm able to financially afford a new camera, that is what I'd be getting. With a macro lens, auto focus is very difficult to work with; I generally prefer to use manual focus.
09-04-2015, 12:31 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can plan gardens around a bench or stool next year, perhaps. These insects won't bother you at all. Anise Hyssop reaches 3 feet in a good summer. Of course coneflowers, sage and bee balm would balance that garden. I don't know if the tall pink Joe Pye Weed is native out there, but that hits 7 feet in good areas and sunflowers are a huge hit with all the bees and moths. Cosmos also draws them - anything in the aster family will.

There's no reason for you to crawl around like us "younger" guys.

I'm thinking of putting in a hummingbird bath fountain next year. The videos I've seen have been hilarious, and we always have a rowdy bunch of hummers in the summer.
09-04-2015, 12:37 PM   #15
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
My yard started in the late 80's, is as complete as it will be; as I'm not able now to dig holes etc for new planting. I am starting to use wildflower seed in my flower beds. Also I have to be very careful on what I do have in my yard; as I have to haul every drop of water I use! I also have to handwater everything.