Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Local Skyline
Posted By: Moggman, 06-19-2008, 10:21 AM

Here's a shot I took Tuesday night of the local Columbus skyline. I used the GIMP to create an HDR from one exposure, as the original was a little too dark for my taste and I wanted to try the procedure. Let me know what you think.

Last edited by Moggman; 06-26-2008 at 12:58 PM.
Views: 1,679
06-19-2008, 10:23 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the shot. It's possible the pp work somewhat washed out the colours of the buildings but overall it looks good. You should post the original as well.
06-19-2008, 10:50 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I like the shot. It's possible the pp work somewhat washed out the colours of the buildings but overall it looks good. You should post the original as well.
Thanks for looking Peter, I added the original in the first post at your request.
06-19-2008, 11:57 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the original and can see what you mean about the exposure. If this was shot in RAW then i would open the file in Pentax Photo Lab (yeah i know lots of people hate it but some things work). I'd then adjust the exposure level all the way over. save the file as new.
You have GIMP which I'm not totally familar with but the controls are similar to PS and other software. I just took your original and used levels to adjust the shot. I then used shadow recovery to bring a little detail back in the darkest areas (+30). A little Highlight recovery to keep the tower with the bright lights from blowing out.After that I adjusted the contrast and brightness up by 7 on each. The final result is this. Simple adjustments and I think it works.
Name:  2592603263_eec6307b6c.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  117.3 KB

The richness of the blue contrasted against the building colours and lights is what makes this shot work so well. I was trying to keep that look.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 06-19-2008 at 12:03 PM.
06-19-2008, 12:11 PM   #5

Original Poster
Very nice, Peter. I did play around with adjusting the saturation of the blues and came up with some ok results, but none I was totally happy with. I'm hoping to play around with this some more tonight when I get home and can use Photoshop instead of GIMP since I know it a little better. I'll try to play around with it tonight and post the results.
06-26-2008, 12:58 PM   #6

Original Poster
Sorry it took me a week to get around to posting this, but here it is. Kept the dark exposure, increased saturation of the blues, and applied an Unsharp mask. I think I like this version better than the HDR: