Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Eating downunder............
Lens: Sigma 105mm F2.8 Macro Camera: Pentax K-3 Photo Location: Perth Western Australia 
Posted By: eaglem, 09-06-2015, 12:39 AM

as a vegan.

Views: 1,305
09-06-2015, 01:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is the quintessential "just a snail" portrait : ) The shell's swirl, colours, texture, etc. make this photo come alive. I love it. The entire composition, not just the snail, reminds me of the Golden Mean that the ancients used for visual harmony.

I'll give you 4.5 stars out of 5. Here's how I will give you the missing half star. Just a thought if you don't mind. Have you considered cropping a portion of the right and top edges? I am distracted by the edge of the leaf and the abrupt transition from the bright yellow backdrop to the almost black OFF area.

By the way, I see a bug photobombing this picture. LOL!

Last edited by chmance; 09-06-2015 at 01:30 AM.
09-06-2015, 02:29 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chmance Quote
That is the quintessential "just a snail" portrait : ) The shell's swirl, colours, texture, etc. make this photo come alive. I love it. The entire composition, not just the snail, reminds me of the Golden Mean that the ancients used for visual harmony.

I'll give you 4.5 stars out of 5. Here's how I will give you the missing half star. Just a thought if you don't mind. Have you considered cropping a portion of the right and top edges? I am distracted by the edge of the leaf and the abrupt transition from the bright yellow backdrop to the almost black OFF area.

By the way, I see a bug photobombing this picture. LOL!
Yes the little bug was there.

09-06-2015, 07:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Butter anyone? Escargot. Nice close up. I have a silly question. They say things like hurricanes and a toilet flush spin in the S. hemisphere counter to the direction in the N. hemisphere. So I wonder, do the snails wind around the opposite way as well?

09-06-2015, 03:31 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by plantej Quote
Butter anyone? Escargot. Nice close up. I have a silly question. They say things like hurricanes and a toilet flush spin in the S. hemisphere counter to the direction in the N. hemisphere. So I wonder, do the snails wind around the opposite way as well?
Interesting thought
09-06-2015, 03:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Funny thing about the toilets.

Our toilets don't spin, or lat least I've never seen one that does in all my trips around.

Where the US ones (from my understanding) fill up the bowl and then open a drain at the base like emptying a sink, our toilets just sort of churn the water around and empty without filling the bowl up (unless it's clogged..... in which case eww)
09-06-2015, 06:40 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice image EM, for whatever reason I like the original image best.

09-06-2015, 08:48 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
Funny thing about the toilets.

Our toilets don't spin, or lat least I've never seen one that does in all my trips around.

Where the US ones (from my understanding) fill up the bowl and then open a drain at the base like emptying a sink, our toilets just sort of churn the water around and empty without filling the bowl up (unless it's clogged..... in which case eww)
You learn something new everyday!

---------- Post added 09-07-15 at 11:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Very nice image EM, for whatever reason I like the original image best.
Thanks Heinrich yes everyone has a different view on it.
09-07-2015, 02:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I appreciate that you followed up on my suggestion. Great effort. I thought you might be interested in what I came up with as far as cropping is concerned. I kept the 1:1 aspect ratio and positioned the swirl in keeping with the golden mean for square photos. I also used some gradient, which am learning right now, to tone down the competing highlights in the upper left and right portions of the photo. This is also a learning experience for me.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
09-07-2015, 03:25 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chmance Quote
I appreciate that you followed up on my suggestion. Great effort. I thought you might be interested in what I came up with as far as cropping is concerned. I kept the 1:1 aspect ratio and positioned the swirl in keeping with the golden mean for square photos. I also used some gradient, which am learning right now, to tone down the competing highlights in the upper left and right portions of the photo. This is also a learning experience for me.
I think it's a learning experience for all of us.........
09-07-2015, 05:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Well done EM - I am a fan of Escargot the leave seems to offer food and protection. Very sharp.
09-07-2015, 06:27 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Snailed it!
09-07-2015, 07:40 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbondo Quote
Snailed it!
Good play on words..........
09-07-2015, 09:10 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
Guess I should have read this one a bit after breakfast. Technically our newer commodes today at least the commercial ones are the turbo type, no swirling. Blink, it's gone. Is this plumbing 101? The conversations a mere lowly snail can start.
09-07-2015, 09:48 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Guess I should have read this one a bit after breakfast. Technically our newer commodes today at least the commercial ones are the turbo type, no swirling. Blink, it's gone. Is this plumbing 101? The conversations a mere lowly snail can start.
You're plumbing past the depths of my knowledge on cisterns I'm afraid.