Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Dynamic Range with Bracketed exposures
Lens: Sigma10-20 F/4-5.6 Camera: K5 Tripod Photo Location: BC, Canada ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Scootatheschool1990, 09-07-2015, 11:40 AM

I'm so happy to be a Pentaxian.

I have been diving deep into dynamic range and found that Pentax's K5 is better than many. You'd think that the Canon 6D would have a spectacular dynamic range, being that it is full frame. Last night I found this was not an accurate statement when I used my friend's 6D + 40mm 2.8 Pancake. After working the 6D's RAW files, I was unimpressed by the lack of tonal depth, color depth, and dynamic range. My k5 has about 1/3rd more dynamic range than the 6D it seemed. Anyway, on a recent trip to BC, I was able to really harness the dynamic range of the k5 in this photo.

A 5-stop bracketed exposure is all I needed to capture the ENTIRE dynamic range of this shot. Pretty impressive, considering this camera is like 5-6 years old! The K5 keeps impressing me, and I hope Pentax's full frame will be another K5 of it's time.

Views: 650
09-07-2015, 11:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Glad to hear form a fellow K-5 shooter! I'm really happy with mine as well. Did you really require 5 shots though to get the full dynamic range? It seems to me that Lightroom, if you expose for something a little darker than the brightest area, can recover at least 2 and maybe more full stops from the shadows. Not sure if that would be true in this case (or what software you're using) but I'd be interested to see your best shot with a single image.

The final image though looks pretty impressive, as if you were there looking back and forth from interior to exterior. The colors and exposure look very natural.
09-08-2015, 01:35 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you explain how you did this? You took 5 bracketed shots and merged them together?
So that means individual shots with own exposures. How does dynamic range come into it.
I thought dynamic range is being able to pull down the highlights in the first image to obtain the beautiful blue water in the second image.
09-08-2015, 02:28 AM   #4

Impressive!

09-08-2015, 02:59 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nicely done. I sometimes underexpose deliberately and bump the shadows, but even at iso 80, that can introduce a fair amount of noise that has to be dealt with...

What program did you use to combine exposures?