Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Farm barns - Snaisgill
Lens: HD Pentax-DA 70mm F2.4 Limited Camera: Pentax K3 Photo Location: Snaisgill, Co. Durham, England ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: BigMackCam, 09-07-2015, 02:08 PM

Another one for my small but growing collection of farm barn photos - this one from a tiny place called Snaisgill, about 40 miles from my home. Taken yesterday on what this year has been a rare warm, sunny day

Attached Images

Last edited by BigMackCam; 09-07-2015 at 02:14 PM.
Views: 736
09-07-2015, 02:23 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice location! Might I suggest to get a little bit closer and perhaps with a wider lens? The barns do get lost in the green surroundings a bit.
09-07-2015, 02:35 PM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Nice location! Might I suggest to get a little bit closer and perhaps with a wider lens? The barns do get lost in the green surroundings a bit.
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated

Unfortunately, this was as close as I could get, as the land is privately-owned. My preference for this sort of scene would have been the DA21 or DA40 (as they lend more depth), but the barns really did get lost with those!! As it was, I had to rely on the lens for proximity, and the DA70 was the longest lens I had with me. I cropped slightly, but elected to keep the full height of the trees in frame - do you think I should have cropped more vertically?
09-07-2015, 03:00 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated

Unfortunately, this was as close as I could get, as the land is privately-owned. My preference for this sort of scene would have been the DA21 or DA40 (as they lend more depth), but the barns really did get lost with those!! As it was, I had to rely on the lens for proximity, and the DA70 was the longest lens I had with me. I cropped slightly, but elected to keep the full height of the trees in frame - do you think I should have cropped more vertically?
That is unfortunate indeed! I fully understand why you chose to take the picture this way and no I would't crop the picture more vertically. Realistically one way such a more environmental picture could work, is when the surroundings add some more drama to the scene. And for that you have to depend on the weather and a time of day with the best available light. Ideally some fog, rain combined with early morning&evening light might do the trick. A big part of photography is not only location, but also weather and time of day.

09-07-2015, 03:07 PM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
That is unfortunate indeed! I fully understand why you chose to take the picture this way and no I would't crop the picture more vertically. Realistically one way such a more environmental picture could work, is when the surroundings add some more drama to the scene. And for that you have to depend on the weather and a time of day with the best available light. Ideally some fog, rain combined with early morning&evening light might do the trick. A big part of photography is not only location, but also weather and time of day.
Thanks In fact, I have another version of this shot taken with the DA21 showing a lot more sky (and fields!) which would look great if there had been some interesting clouds up there. That said, I was happy that we had some decent weather for a change!!

Edit: I should also mention, this wasn't a planned day of shooting; rather, I'd gone out for a drive with my camera in the car in case I found anything I'd like to shoot. Having found this location, I would certainly go back...
09-07-2015, 03:13 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Thanks In fact, I have another version of this shot taken with the DA21 showing a lot more sky (and fields!) which would look great if there had been some interesting clouds up there. That said, I was happy that we had some decent weather for a change!!

Edit: I should also mention, this wasn't a planned day of shooting; rather, I'd gone out for a drive with my camera in the car in case I found anything I'd like to shoot. Having found this location, I would certainly go back...
Good luck next time!