Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Graffiti and a pretty lady...
Posted By: codiac2600, 06-19-2008, 08:18 PM

Graffiti is such a wonderful thing sometimes

I decided to go back to a favorite location of mine and have a fun shoot while the weather was still amazing.

Tried a new lighting setup which worked out just fine indeed not too mention I nailed some excellent shots.

Last edited by codiac2600; 06-20-2008 at 07:49 AM.
Views: 1,657
06-19-2008, 08:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

love the model, love the background.. no so sure about them together, though.. the upscale feel of the model, and the gritty grunge feel of the graffiti clash too much for me. all the same, wonderful shots!
06-19-2008, 08:40 PM   #3

well she has a graffiti (tatoo) on her left shoulder blade that should tie it together...somewhat...very nic pics though
06-19-2008, 08:54 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I agree that number (I believe) 7, showing the tattoo in the foreground and the background graffiti do tie together. Overall great shots but that one works better than the others.

CW

06-20-2008, 04:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

great lighting too, even with color graffiti the model still stands out
06-20-2008, 04:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Good stuff, Chris...

I'm a huge fan of portraits that are shot using landscape orientation. That's exactly the way I like to shoot, so the last few are right up my alley. headshots are cool, but landscape allows you to tell a whole story in one shot.

What did you use for lighting on this series?
06-20-2008, 06:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The man with the Midas touch does it again

Nice series

cheers

06-20-2008, 07:29 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Phenominal shots!

I love the graffiti and the model together.... I think this is some of your best work.

D.
06-20-2008, 08:44 AM   #9

I am not sure as to why i feel this way, but i think the images you took of danielle in the same? spot is better. There is a better feel to the images of danielle, even though these are technically better shots. I think it has to do with the dress used being "too fine" for the graffiti scene.
Even if i'm saying this, the images are very good, but they lack a bit of the feel you usually have.
Just my 2cents, and don't take it as anything more, since you obviously are alot better at photography than i will ever be!

PS: The fifth image is very good, and has the perfect feel according to my standards! The dress fit very well with the dark background and the small lighted area around the girl surrounded by the graffiti
06-20-2008, 09:09 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Nice series once again Chris - I agree with Maxwell1295 I like definable objects as background. I think #2 showing some of her tatoo is my favorite.
06-21-2008, 05:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for your comments and critique.

The whole idea for the shoot was to show some big contrast and she wanted to wear a fancy velvet dress so I said urban would be a great contrast. The idea of the shoot worked, but someone who sits back and looks at them without prior knowledge wouldn't understand it entirely. I'll have to start titling things creatively like princess in the ghetto or goddess of the ghetto... dunno, but I do know my brain is fried.

Been teaching a lot of photography classes lately and so many new cameras and gear in the store so my brain is pumoing out more info than storing it...

At least I have time to shoot from time to time
06-21-2008, 06:45 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I was goginto compliment that the balck dress add that extra contrast 'till I read your comments that was basically the intent. Nice job.
06-21-2008, 07:01 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Good shots and I know what effect you were going for (high contrast between upscale and gritty urban). I like 3 and 5 the most.

For the most part I think you nailed the concept, but I think it's the model's dress that throws things off for me. The designs of the studs (or diamond items?) on the dress is working against the concept -- it looks like a nice dress a country star would wear at an awards ceremony. Very pretty to be sure, but I was perhaps mentally expecting an upper-city type look (sleek all-black) or maybe a POW! color power dress of semi-bright red. I realize without the studs the black would blend into nothing, though, so I have no idea how I would personally approach this type of shoot...I leave this stuff to the experts!

Technically though you're certainly a gifted shooter and kudos! You managed to get just enough background bokeh in to not take away from the model, while simutaneously allowing the background to be recognizable.