Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
not many of these left ...
Lens: Sigma 70-200 + Sigma 2x teleconverter Camera: Pentax K5 Photo Location: Buffalo, Ny ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/80s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: zman, 09-09-2015, 02:29 PM

The passenger steamboat, S.S. Columbia, is moored at the Mariner “A” grain elevator and will be in Buffalo for one year. Launched in 1902, it is over 200 ft long and was designed to carry 3200 passengers on her five decks. Only one of two remaining such ships, the S.S. Columbia will eventually head out to New York Harbor for restoration. I plan to get a closer look from my kayak soon.

Last edited by zman; 01-21-2017 at 06:48 AM.
Views: 957
09-09-2015, 04:01 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Oh dear, she looks in need of serious amount of money, to get her restored to her former glory.
09-10-2015, 02:44 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's good to see the old girl is going to be restored. I've seen the boat tied up in Detroit for many years and wondered if it will be restored or will be towed to the ship graveyard to be cut up for scrap
09-10-2015, 03:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
S.S. Columbia will eventually head out to New York Harbor for restoration.
How? Surely not by way of the St Lawrence and along the Atlantic coast.

09-11-2015, 04:41 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
How? Surely not by way of the St Lawrence and along the Atlantic coast.
I don't know too much about the maximum dimensions of the Erie Canal between Buffalo or Rochester and the Hudson River, but if the vessel can fit in the canal they could bring her down to New York by that route. Judging by the age of the vessel it is possible that it was built to fit in the Erie Canal

If the intention is to go the other way, I expect they will try and have the vessel brought down the Seaway to Montreal or Quebec City before the winter. Once cleared of the restrictions of the Seaway Lock System, the vessel could then be prepared for towing or be loaded onto a submersible barge or ship for the trip to New York, in the late spring and early summer when the North Atlantic is relatively quiet.
09-12-2015, 03:12 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NS_Sailor Quote
I don't know too much about the maximum dimensions of the Erie Canal between Buffalo or Rochester and the Hudson River, but if the vessel can fit in the canal they could bring her down to New York by that route. Judging by the age of the vessel it is possible that it was built to fit in the Erie Canal

If the intention is to go the other way, I expect they will try and have the vessel brought down the Seaway to Montreal or Quebec City before the winter. Once cleared of the restrictions of the Seaway Lock System, the vessel could then be prepared for towing or be loaded onto a submersible barge or ship for the trip to New York, in the late spring and early summer when the North Atlantic is relatively quiet.
I wondered about that as well and found the answer on the organizations website :

Statute miles the ship will to travel to get to NYC: 2,145
In August 2015, the SS Columbia lands in New York State — journeying 235 miles from Toledo, OH to Buffalo, NY. There the work will continue to prepare her for her tow up the St. Lawrence River, down the Atlantic Coast (the SS Columbia’s first dip in salt water!), before heading up the Hudson River to a shipyard in Kingston, NY to continue restoration work.
09-13-2015, 04:19 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zman Quote
I wondered about that as well and found the answer on the organizations website :

Statute miles the ship will to travel to get to NYC: 2,145
In August 2015, the SS Columbia lands in New York State — journeying 235 miles from Toledo, OH to Buffalo, NY. There the work will continue to prepare her for her tow up the St. Lawrence River, down the Atlantic Coast (the SS Columbia’s first dip in salt water!), before heading up the Hudson River to a shipyard in Kingston, NY to continue restoration work.
It is kind of obvious that who ever wrote the quote on the website must have just looked at a map and confused transiting the St. Lawrence Seaway and River in a North to North East direction as going "Up" when actually it is going "Down", considering Buffalo which is on Lake Erie is 571ft. above sea level. Ironically the yard in Kingston may only be a couple hundred miles over land down the I90 from where the vessel is currently tied up.

I still think the organization could still possibly try and bring the ship to Montreal before winter so it will be in a good position to take advantage of a good break in the weather in late spring or early summer. Passing through the Welland Canal and Lower Seaway whenever it happens will give plenty of opportunities for those so inclined to photograph the vessel as it transits the system.

09-13-2015, 05:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Take a look at this....

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ss+columbia
09-13-2015, 07:24 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very interesting videos
The Great Lakes Shipping Website www.boatnerd.com has all kinds of information on the ship.
09-13-2015, 07:58 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
She wouldn't fit through the locks on the canal, so she has to go through the seaway...

The Columbia is 60 feet wide, and the Barge Canal locks, built between 1903 & 1918, are only 45 feet wide.
09-13-2015, 08:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Name: Columbia
Launched: 1902
General characteristics
Tonnage: 968 (gross) 549 (net)
Length: 207.67 ft (63.30 m)
Beam: 45 ft (14 m)
Draft: 12.5 ft (3.8 m)
Depth: 17.79 ft (5.42 m)
Installed power: Triple-expansion reciprocating steam engine

---------------------------------------------------

"Between 1903 and 1918, the State again enlarged the canal by the construction of what was termed the "Barge Canal", these locks of today are 328 feet long and 45 feet wide, with a depth of 12 feet of water over the mitre-sills, and can accomodate vessels 300 feet long and 43.5 feet wide. See the Canal Profile for the height and location of the current loc"

---------------------------------------------------
09-13-2015, 05:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Nice. You'll have to go back and get some more shots when it's finished and pretty. :-)