Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
My New Bokina!
Lens: Tokina AT-X 90/2.5 Camera: K5ii 
Posted By: troika, 09-12-2015, 02:47 PM

I picked up a really clean Bokina today with the Macro Extender from local craigslist. These are the test shots I took when I was checking it out. Full sun, not ideal shooting circumstances, but I was impressed enough to buy it and am really excited about what I've got here.

I promise better results in the near future!

1:2 Macro (without the extender)

1:1 Macro (With the Extender)

@ 2.5 for the bokah

Views: 1,201
09-12-2015, 11:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice pictures! I like the last best, it has a cool screen texture and very nice light. But I have to ask, why "Bokina?" Where does the name come from? As in Big Tokina?
09-13-2015, 02:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
I picked up a really clean Bokina today with the Macro Extender from local craigslist. These are the test shots I took when I was checking it out. Full sun, not ideal shooting circumstances, but I was impressed enough to buy it and am really excited about what I've got here.

I promise better results in the near future!

1:2 Macro (without the extender)
1:1 Macro (With the Extender)
@ 2.5 for the bokah
That flower shot is lovely.

I got mine about three months ago and yesterday I had to use WD40 to pry it off my camera since it has become one of my three favorite lenses. It does live up to its name as "Bokina". Am sure you will enjoy using it. Don't forget to use a hood, which is quite rare though. Mine did not come with it.

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Nice pictures! I like the last best, it has a cool screen texture and very nice light. But I have to ask, why "Bokina?" Where does the name come from? As in Big Tokina?
This macro by Tokina is well known for its incredibly buttery smooth bokeh. Hence, it has gained that moniker "Bokina." It is one of the few lenses in history that has a nickname saved those owned by a guy called Kerrowdown. : ) I call mine "Ballerina Bokina". It is the 4th sharpest lens ever tested by Photodo.com. Because of its cult following, it has become rather rare and an excellent copy (lens plus dedicated 2X converter) can easily command US$500.

Last edited by chmance; 09-13-2015 at 02:35 AM. Reason: typos
09-13-2015, 09:32 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Mine did not come with a hood either. I think I have a 55mm metal hood in my desk across town, but haven't been there to check yet.

Is there an aftermarket hood that you recommend?

---------- Post added 09-13-15 at 10:24 AM ----------

I took it out on date-night with my wife last night. Still nothing too special from a subject standpoint, but enjoying the lens.

Pansy 1:1

The Red Elvises @ f2.5

09-13-2015, 04:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Mine did not come with a hood either. I think I have a 55mm metal hood in my desk across town, but haven't been there to check yet.

Is there an aftermarket hood that you recommend?

---------- Post added 09-13-15 at 10:24 AM ----------

I took it out on date-night with my wife last night. Still nothing too special from a subject standpoint, but enjoying the lens.

Pansy 1:1

The Red Elvises @ f2.5
You're getting the hang of it. The bokeh is pleasing up until f/4 but after that you get the "saw-tooth" specular highlights.

I tried looking online for the original hood but had no luck. Am using a metal hood from one of my teles. It is about 2.5 inches in length and it seems to work perfectly with the Bokina wide open. No signs of vignetting
09-14-2015, 09:12 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
As I suspected, I ordered a 52mm metal hood a year ago from an Amazon seller and received a 55mm hood that I never returned. It was in my desk at work and I'll bring it home to my "new" Tokina.
09-16-2015, 04:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very nice - Should be an excellent lens ..
I would suggest the sensor needs a clean though ..

09-16-2015, 08:59 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
You are probably right, it's been a while. What are you seeing?

I do see some black spots at around 10:00 on the second spider photo. Is that it or do you see something else?
09-16-2015, 11:17 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FYI to various posters. I purchased my "Bokina" very soon after they were first introduced. The lens never came with a hood. I generally prefer a rubber hood that can be folded back. Such hoods are 100% functional, no glitz. They block the sun, they cannot be dented nor can the outer rim develop shiny spots from paint chipping off, they fold back for transport, and whether extended or folded they provide a small (SMALL) amount of cushioning protection to the front of the lens.
09-16-2015, 04:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Hmmm

You are probably right, it's been a while. What are you seeing?

I do see some black spots at around 10:00 on the second spider photo. Is that it or do you see something else?
Ok , lots and lots of black spots , and in the flower image I see banding ..

Black spots are dust , they generally show up when the aperture is closed down and a flash is used ..
Banding could be because of a previous sensor clean , and streaks were left after cleaning .. ( Been there done that )
09-16-2015, 04:05 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Black spots - Yep. I saw a really big one a month back and did the sensor shake thing and it came out, but I haven't done a thorough clean in a while. I can see some now, especially in the bee photos.

On the flower shot (which is why I asked) the flower was inside with a window screen and glass immediately behind it. I assumed that the blotchy/blurry bits in the bokah. Thoughts?

I'll give it a little cleaning in any event, it's overdue.
09-17-2015, 08:07 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Ok , it could be the glass ...
Just depends on when it shows up .. ( pictures )

I have personally had it myself , and it was the result of cleaning the sensor and leaving streaks ...They usually only show up under certain lighting conditions ..
Macro has a way of bringing out all the tiny imperfections normally not seen ( sensor ) .

I usually take a picture of the sky ( blue ) and then in post production use Auto color correction , and it shows all the dust on the sensor . Quite an eye opener at times ( like just having purchased a used camera )

---------- Post added 09-18-15 at 01:16 AM ----------

Blue sky shots usually show up dust that are going to be a problem ...

Auto color correction shows up most dust particles sitting on the sensor , and it can be a real PITA to get the sensor truly clean ..
Because its Macro , small aperture , and flash that show these hidden gems ...

Those into portraits and landscapes , dont usually suffer from dust as much ...
09-17-2015, 10:30 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks. On it!