Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
stupid flash, stupid dark bar, urgh
Posted By: Gooshin, 06-20-2008, 10:37 AM

so i totally ****ed up my bar photography for some reason, its been so long since i took out my flash that i honestly forgot how to use it, and also i dont know why but i had it set to ISO 1600, anyway i totaly epic failed this shoot.

Av + PTTL does not seem to work!

only after did i remember that in manual mode it actualy works like its supposed to,

anyway i did scavenge some good photos, but man am i angry.

Views: 2,534
06-20-2008, 10:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, those 3 turned out pretty good. What was you save percentage on this set?
06-20-2008, 10:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
Well, those 3 turned out pretty good. What was you save percentage on this set?
well my "personal" percentage would have been non existant, there were about 280 shots taken and i would only put my mark on aproval on maybe 7 of them

i ended up putting 65 together after extensive lightroom manipulation, my friend for whom i was photographing liked them, but my standards are way higher.

you can see more here:

Zenfolio | Serge Guschin | ksushas birthday
06-20-2008, 10:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't know......I think you're being pretty hard on yourself (aren't we all?). I shot a cruise recently that didn't turn out nearly as good as this. There's something edgy about these shots that I really like. It definitely seems like you captured the feel of the evening. I saw some pretty good shots in there. I many of those pics, the ISO noise actally added to the shot IMO. It's no surprise she was pleased with them....

06-20-2008, 11:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I look them through, and I think they looks great~ just the wide angle make ppl at the side look squashed but they looks great tho
06-20-2008, 11:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i guess i'm being hard on myself because this was the first time i got paid to do this,

i told her i didnt wnat her money but she gave me 100 bucks, i only say no once

money changes everything
06-20-2008, 11:44 AM   #7

I do think your being hard on yourself, seems to be a thing photographers do a lot, as those images are quite nice. You probably just got nervous and didn't take your time. Also since you knew you hadn't used flash for awhile maybe taking 20minutes before heading to the gig\bar\whatever to just play around with it to get a feel for it and set your camera settings in advance! Such as focus mode, ISO, exposure mode, file format etc so you don't have to worry when you arrive there to shoot.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks

06-20-2008, 12:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Good point about getting there early and doing some test shots. In my case, I used my wife as a test subject to make sure I was getting the exposure right. I shot in full manual, including manual focusing. It's been a while since I've done MF and used a flash.