Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
The "Charles de Gaulle"
Lens: Sigma AF-K (70-210) Camera: K200D Photo Location: Toulon, France ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F9.5 
Posted By: bygp, 09-15-2015, 11:01 AM

I did perhaps more artistic shots, but I was realy surprised to get a so sharp landscape with this compact low-cost zoom although it's only 1/180s taken from a full-speed boat and atmosphere where I live is not as crystal clear as in other parts of the country, even if sunny

Taken at 85mm :

Views: 961
09-15-2015, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, that's a big ship!
09-15-2015, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Wow, a great image of a "counter balanced" floating city.
09-15-2015, 12:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Wow, that's a big ship!
I guess not as big as some U.S. Aircraft carriers, but this one relies on nuclear engine. Like most of our current submarines.
But yes, it looks a bit bigger as it is because of focal 85mm (~ 130mm on aps-c), mountains tops are almost 7 Km behind the ship, and anyway, Toulon is not a huge city, there are few big buildings, it is regrouping many smaller old towns, downtown is only 2 or 3 Km long, the military zone is much wider than our downtown.

This place of France has an old bloody history, strategic harbour, lots of people died here, for the english Queen or Napoléon, for the Reich, for liberty, etc...

Same subject, the same day but travelling back to Toulon and with my new Vivitar 70-210 series 1 (1st release Kiron tank), a bit more expensive but more reliable too :

---------- Post added 09-15-15 at 01:19 PM ----------

To make it short, I'm not a Disneyland shots fan, over-saturated, classic subjects, I'm very attracted by portraits of old people, or poor people, deserts, B&W, contrasts nature vs humain foolness, pollution, trash, etc...

This is an old shot taken with my sold tough olympus small compact, and I still love it because the shot is magic, I would not have taken that with a DSLR, this needed a compact light tool as nothing in this scene has been controlled, just luck, my loved sweet border collie and an unknown child :

That's why even if I love to use my K200D, I'm still convicted that for some type of photography, having a good compact can make you get what you will never get with a SLR or DSLR.

Last edited by bygp; 09-15-2015 at 02:22 PM.
09-15-2015, 02:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes it is quite big, the biggest in the area for sure, this pic comes from a public web page, but you cannot take such a photo if you dont't have special security authorizations and an helicopter or plane to shoot from^^ The best I can do atm is to take a shoot from mountains tops.

---------- Post added 09-15-15 at 02:26 PM ----------

More artistic shot taken the same day, with the Vivitar series 1 zoom facing sunlight, makes a special effect, only softened it a bit under LR to increase the "ghost ship" theme :

Last edited by bygp; 09-15-2015 at 02:21 PM.
09-15-2015, 07:17 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very impressive modern carrier. Really cool thanks for displaying them and for the explanations.