Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Oxburgh Hall
Lens: DA 18-135 Camera: K-30 Photo Location: Norfolk, UK ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: gramar, 09-15-2015, 12:50 PM

Oxburgh Hall is a moated country house in Oxborough, Norfolk, England. Built around 1482 by Sir Edmund Bedingfeld, Oxburgh has always been a family home and they have lived here ever since. Inside, the family's Catholic history is revealed, complete with a secret priest's hole which you can crawl inside.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5780/21258588638_939b5bf235_h.jpg
Views: 1,012
09-15-2015, 12:57 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
An impressive establishment, I wonder if has any damp issues.
09-15-2015, 02:26 PM   #3
Closed Account

Original Poster
I visited the hall today and can only vouch for the rooms to which the public has access and saw no damp. I've often wondered, when building a dwelling submerged in water, what type of construction is necessary to future proof it.
09-15-2015, 02:37 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by gramar Quote
I've often wondered, when building a dwelling submerged in water, what type of construction is necessary to future proof it.
Aye you and me both, they didn't have access to modern materials to make a damp-proof course (DPC) back then.

09-15-2015, 03:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice subject and photo, and thanks for historic facts linked to this beautiful "Manor". My only cons : the foreground saturated grass makes eyes focus out the main subject, but maybe this is due to my screen calibration which I need to keep neutral WB and vivid for better color tweakings. I love these subjects and close shots of parts of them.

Last edited by bygp; 09-15-2015 at 03:56 PM.
09-15-2015, 04:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I visited the hall today and can only vouch for the rooms to which the public has access and saw no damp. I've often wondered, when building a dwelling submerged in water, what type of construction is necessary to future proof it.
Stone works below water. Brick does not, nor lime plaster. Brick, mortar, and lime plaster eventually react with water by dissolving the soluble lime salts that hold these materials together. Rising damp ascends through the masonry over time as the deterioration progresses. The manor photo shows the rising damp line on the masonry as a belt of gray above the water line. The manor appears to be of hewn stone but may be limestone or may have been constructed with lime mortars.
09-15-2015, 05:08 PM   #7
Pentaxian

complete with a secret priest's hole which you can crawl inside.
Too...many...jokes...

09-15-2015, 05:12 PM   #8
mee
Veteran Member

"Moated country house" ..it looks more like a small castle to my untrained eyes! And a lovely one at that.

If the moat goes all the way around, this will be the safest place in the midst of a zombie outbreak.. or.. wwIII/total chaos maybe.. esp if the moat is filled with alligators or the like.. haha

Thank you for sharing this image.. it is nice. :c )
09-15-2015, 10:27 PM   #9
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bygp Quote
Very nice subject and photo, and thanks for historic facts linked to this beautiful "Manor". My only cons : the foreground saturated grass makes eyes focus out the main subject, but maybe this is due to my screen calibration which I need to keep neutral WB and vivid for better color tweakings. I love these subjects and close shots of parts of them.

Thanks bygp for your appreciation of our wonderful heritage. I've just added two more photos of the hall. One taken from the other side the other a close of up. The colours are correct the grass really is that green due to a large amount of rain having fallen in recent weeks.
09-16-2015, 01:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks bygp for your appreciation of our wonderful heritage. I've just added two more photos of the hall. One taken from the other side the other a close of up. The colours are correct the grass really is that green due to a large amount of rain having fallen in recent weeks.
wow, this is real english grass so Too dry here and too sunny to find such carpet quality^^ Are people allowed to walk on it ?
09-16-2015, 01:20 PM   #11
Closed Account

Original Poster
Yes, people do walk on it. That's what it's for.
09-16-2015, 06:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Impressive and unique.
06-28-2018, 07:33 AM   #13
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Oxburgh Hall is a moated country house in Oxborough, Norfolk, England. Built around 1482 by Sir Edmund Bedingfeld, Oxburgh has always been a family home and they have lived here ever since. Inside, the family's Catholic history is revealed, complete with a secret priest's hole which you can crawl inside.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5780/21258588638_939b5bf235_h.jpg
Very nice shot! Love the moat!