Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
The Mighty Mac
Lens: DA*50-135 Camera: K3 Photo Location: Mackinaw City, Michigan 
Posted By: Scorpio71GR, 09-15-2015, 07:35 PM

The big bridge out in the middle of nowhere, the Mackinac Bridge connecting Michigan's upper and lower peninsulas. One unique thing about this 5 mile long bridge is there are no major cities for over 200 miles in any direction. It just sits out there in the middle of nowhere. Here are a few facts from the Bridge Authority

The Mackinac Bridge is currently the fifth longest suspension bridge in the world. In 1998, the Akashi Kaikyo Bridge in Japan became the longest with a total suspension of 12,826 feet. The Mackinac Bridge is the longest suspension bridge in the western hemisphere. The total length of the Mackinac Bridge is 26,372 feet. The length of the suspension bridge (including anchorages) is 8,614 feet. The length from cable bent pier to cable bent pier is 7,400 feet. Length of main span (between towers) is 3,800 feet.

When I was in college I had to drive over the bridge to get to school and go home. A few times the snow was so bad when in between the towers you could not see either one.

byscorpio71gr, on Flickr

The rarely seen west side of the bridge looking east.

by scorpio71gr, on Flickr

Michael
Views: 1,167
09-15-2015, 07:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Neat shots and story Michael.
09-15-2015, 09:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
+1 Nicely done.
09-16-2015, 12:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A very picturesque bridge. I like the blue theme on these. I thought I had crossed this bridge once while I was in college on a cross country trip, but then checked the map and it must have been the bridge at Sault St. Marie that we crossed.

09-16-2015, 10:35 AM   #5

Nice shots of the bridge. When my wife and I were married (1954) we had to take the ferry across for our honeymoon. Ten years later when I took a job in Michigan (1966) we were able to drive across the relatively new bridge. I'm not sure when it was completed (we did not live in Michigan) but sometime between those dates.
09-16-2015, 12:56 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Thankyou Steve.

---------- Post added 09-16-15 at 03:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
+1 Nicely done.
Thankyou Paul, I have a lot memories crossing that bridge.

---------- Post added 09-16-15 at 03:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by OldGeaser Quote
Nice shots of the bridge. When my wife and I were married (1954) we had to take the ferry across for our honeymoon. Ten years later when I took a job in Michigan (1966) we were able to drive across the relatively new bridge. I'm not sure when it was completed (we did not live in Michigan) but sometime between those dates.
My parents were married in 1955 and had to the same, take the ferry across while on honeymoon. The bridge was completed in 1957. I was there for the 50th anniversary and the Labor Day bridge walk.

---------- Post added 09-16-15 at 04:23 PM ----------

A few more fun facts.
Before the bridge was built, cars used to line up for miles to get on the ferries to cross.
My dad told me one time he and my mother waited 8 hours to get on a ferry.
Sometimes you could not get on a ferry that day and had to get a hotel room for the night.
This bridge was built after the disaster of the infamous Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapse. The design of the bridge was directly influenced by that event.
The bridge can withstand winds up to 150mph and still maintain stability and functionality. I personally have driven across in 50-70mph winds. It feels like you are driving sideways.
The road deck can sway as much as 35ft in either direction even while traffic is on it.
There is 42,000 miles of cables in the suppension wires. That is almost enough wire to wrap around the Earth twice.
This is the only toll road entirely within the state of Michigan.
Most large bridges are located in major metropolitan areas. The longest suppension bridge in the western hemisphere is located 250 miles from the nearest major city, Detroit.
Yeah I am a Michigander, guilty as charged.

Michael

Last edited by Scorpio71GR; 09-16-2015 at 07:34 PM.
09-16-2015, 06:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wow, what an impressive bridge. Very nice shots of it.

09-16-2015, 07:32 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by plantej Quote
Wow, what an impressive bridge. Very nice shots of it.
Thank you, glad you liked it.
09-17-2015, 04:52 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

An impressive structure and great photos showing it's qualities. #3 really highlights the length.
09-17-2015, 07:24 AM   #10
Forum Member

I love the second one! I'm ashamed to admit that I, being a Michigander, do not have any quality pictures of the Mighty Mac even though I've driven across it more times than I can count.
09-17-2015, 02:12 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
An impressive structure and great photos showing it's qualities. #3 really highlights the length.
Thankyou for the kind words. I still can not believe I hiked out there and forgot my DA*16-50. That would have shown the entire bridge.

---------- Post added 09-17-15 at 05:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 89Y49Si Quote
I love the second one! I'm ashamed to admit that I, being a Michigander, do not have any quality pictures of the Mighty Mac even though I've driven across it more times than I can count.
Thankyou, when I was at Michigan Tech I drove over the bridge so many times. I never once got a photo. I was 250 miles from home and 250 miles from school. Not a lot of time for a picture.
09-17-2015, 07:01 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fabulous photos of the Bridge.

I recall once between High School and college (summer of 1973) driving with my young lady in a 1967 Volkswagen Squareback from her parents' summer home in northern Wisconsin to my parents' summer home on the east side of Lake Michigan. I strongly considered taking one of the cross-lake car ferries (probably the Manitowoc to Ludington ferry), but I decided to drive 'up-and-over' specifically so that I could cross on the Mighty Mac. I had a blast but the girl was terrified the entire crossing.

I have no idea whether that trip was a signal, but by fall I was no longer her young man.
09-18-2015, 09:22 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
beautiful shots.
I have many memories of crossing that bridge, both by car, and under, by boat.
09-18-2015, 02:05 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Fabulous photos of the Bridge.

I recall once between High School and college (summer of 1973) driving with my young lady in a 1967 Volkswagen Squareback from her parents' summer home in northern Wisconsin to my parents' summer home on the east side of Lake Michigan. I strongly considered taking one of the cross-lake car ferries (probably the Manitowoc to Ludington ferry), but I decided to drive 'up-and-over' specifically so that I could cross on the Mighty Mac. I had a blast but the girl was terrified the entire crossing.

I have no idea whether that trip was a signal, but by fall I was no longer her young man.
Thankyou, I have had a few trips across where I was a bit nervous myself. One time in a blizzard the wind was blowing so bad you couldn't see anything. I had a CB radio so I was on the radio with the Bridge Authority all the way across. I was never so happy to see land again in my life. Now days I don't think they would let you cross like that anymore.

---------- Post added 09-18-15 at 05:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by link81 Quote
beautiful shots.
I have many memories of crossing that bridge, both by car, and under, by boat.
Thankyou, I too have fond memories of driving and walking over the bridge.