Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
Goodby Old Bigma...My Friend.
Lens: Bigma 50-500 original Camera: K5iis Photo Location: Woods of Otis ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F6.7 
Posted By: Rupert, 09-19-2015, 12:48 PM

These are probably my last shots with my old Bigma 50-500. It has been a great friend and wonderful companion for years, but yesterday I received a new 50-500 HSM OS model and now the old one can retire......at least until it finds a new happy home. Sort of sad, it has served me so well and brought much fun and joy into my shooting.

This little birdie agreed to pose for the some of my final shots...only provided that she could first rant on what a mean and worthless animal Otis Squirrel is and how his "so called" Army of Squirrels are nothing but a bunch of glorified hoodlums.

I let her carry on for some time until she calmed down enough to do some serious posing.

Now that you a have vented, show us your stuff!....oh yes! Very ladylike!

Turn right please! ...Thanks!

Now left! ....Thanks again!

Now fluff up and show us your lovely winter coat.....winter is not long away, but you will be dressed in style!

How about a big hand for her! She was wonderful for her first ever modeling job, don't you think?

This old girl wanted to be one of the first to pose for my new Bigma...and bless her heart, she tried so hard...and did great, but it just wasn't quite the same.....was it?

Best Regards! ...if you aren't having fun with your gear and your shooting, something is seriously wrong....and it may not be your equipment?
Views: 2,074
09-19-2015, 12:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Exceptional shots! Bravo!
09-19-2015, 01:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thank yous so much Geo...the little girlie gets all the credit, I just pushed the button! Normally, I shoot in Tav but was trying to keep the ISO down to 1600 so I went to manual and set it at 1600 and 1/00 handheld, hoping I could hold it still enough. They came out a little dark, even for my taste so I pushed them all in processing. That's the great think about the K5iis, it has a ton of room to push up the shadows without harm.

Love fun shooting! Of course, having the ability to talk with many of the animals makes it much easier too. Not everyone has taken the time to learn to speak their languages, but when you do, it makes it all worthwhile! You do have to watch the squirrels, they are filthy mouth little devils and will teach you some wicked bad words if you are not on your toes.

Regards!
09-19-2015, 01:39 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Good story and pics! Enjoy the new lens....maybe Otis will pose... ?

09-19-2015, 01:49 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Your thread title put me in mind of this.

09-19-2015, 02:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Your thread title put me in mind of this.
Yes indeed that is a fitting tune. When I was laid up unable to walk for all winter 2 years ago with a broken foot, Mrs Rupert was at work every day and it was lonely here, unable to get out and about or even navigate in the house with much success. I spent many days at my desk shooting out the windows with my K5 and Bigma, processing and posting and learning all the ways of the little animals that come and go throughout the day. I learned a lot and enjoyed much of what was a very depressing time in my life.

Between the Bigma and my many friends here, I made it through without ever a suicidal thought or even throwing myself a pity party. Shooting is extremely therapeutic, and I had an excellent view into the Woods of Otis so I was never without subjects to shoot.

Most of my life has been a season in the sun.......you won't find me whining or complaining, it's been great.

Best Regards!

---------- Post added 09-19-15 at 04:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
Good story and pics! Enjoy the new lens....maybe Otis will pose... ?
Thank you! Yes Otis will surely pose for the new Bigma, it is a little bigger than the old one and he likes that....he thinks they made them bigger because he has grown more powerful than ever in the squirrel kingdom.

Best Regards!
09-19-2015, 03:19 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great shots, Rupert!

I'm sure Otis is the Zoolander of the animal kingdom, though.

09-19-2015, 03:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those shots are an excellent tribute to a great lens.
09-19-2015, 04:44 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those are some more DAMN fine shots from a DAMN fine lens from a DAMN photographer. Oops, that should be a damn FINE photographer.

What's gonna happen to your cast off? Boat anchor, door stop, flower pot?
09-19-2015, 04:57 PM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm curious as to what the new one offers over the old.

Last edited by Parallax; 09-19-2015 at 06:07 PM.
09-19-2015, 05:33 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In lens OS.
09-19-2015, 07:29 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I'm curious as to what the new one offers over the old.
From what I read, it has more optics for slightly improved IQ, HSM for faster quiet focusing, and OS that is supposedly a little better than in camera SR. So far I haven't used it enough today to make any real judgments , but it is faster and the OS is very good for certain. The 50-500 is getting harder to find, so I really couldn't pass this deal up.
It was able to pick out this birdie in the thick brush and focus fast and accurate....@ 500mm.

It caught this Jay stealing peanuts...Otis had me print this one as evidence when the Jay goes on trial for theft. Squirrels are really avid advocates for justice for filthy thieves, you know!

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Great shots, Rupert!
Thank you so much! She was such fun to shoot!

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Those shots are an excellent tribute to a great lens.
Thanks to you too Eaglem! It has served me well.....so will the new one I am hoping!

I found two more of the little sweet cutie bird that I missed earlier when processing.....I hope she comes around again, she was a wonderful and lovely model!

She could sing up a storm too! In between poses she sang her little heart out for me!

Best Regards & Thanks to all!

Lots of cuties around here....just shot this in the total darkness a few minutes ago with my X10 and onboard flash.

Looks like a little bear! Eats like a big pig!
09-20-2015, 03:57 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Wonderful shots! And since your Bigma needs a new home, you can feel free to send it on over to me! I'll provide it the care and nurturing a homeless castoff deserves! :-)

09-20-2015, 07:44 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kyricom Quote
Wonderful shots! And since your Bigma needs a new home, you can feel free to send it on over to me! I'll provide it the care and nurturing a homeless castoff deserves! :-)
In a few days or whenever my lazy streak ends, it's been going on for about the past 10 years, so it should end any day now?....I am going to put together a package deal with the old Bigma and a couple of other very excellent items on the Marketplace. I have too many things I don't use that need good homes, so keep an eye open over there.

Thanks for the comment....they probably were not the best of shots, but they were so much fun to shoot! That little girlie birdie is a natural born model! I've asked her to pose again soon, and hope she will!

Best Regards!
09-21-2015, 03:19 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
In a few days or whenever my lazy streak ends, it's been going on for about the past 10 years, so it should end any day now?....I am going to put together a package deal with the old Bigma and a couple of other very excellent items on the Marketplace.

Marketplace? Marketplace? No, no... I think you misunderstood. I meant provide it to a good home out of the altruistic, goodness of your heart for a poor person working in education.

Hello? Hello? *taps the microphone* Anyone there? *sound of crickets*