Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Kilchurn Castle in the shade at dawn
Lens: FA 645 150mm 2.8 Camera: 645Z Photo Location: Loch Awe, Argyll ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/640s Aperture: F14 
Posted By: unkipunki, 09-22-2015, 11:20 AM

A composite of two images. One to capture the sky without blowing out the highlights, the other of the Castle and adjacent trees. The former was pushed hard to bring out the midground, mountian and foreground reflection. This resulted in significant noise, but fine grain noise due to the sensor size. The Castle area was not pushed so hard so is less influenced. I like the 3D separation this, slightly unintentional, approach has achieved.

Views: 1,615
09-22-2015, 12:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Excellent image
09-22-2015, 12:31 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
That's quite some shot(s), well done indeed.
09-22-2015, 01:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good shooting, good PP, thanks for showing us.

09-22-2015, 07:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Great shot, love that mist!
09-22-2015, 07:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Very nice shot and PP.
09-23-2015, 03:18 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Nice indeed!

09-23-2015, 06:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

There is so much I like about this.
09-23-2015, 06:28 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all your comments. I have uploaded a higher resolution version to Flickr which can be found at:

https://flic.kr/p/yZb5LF
09-23-2015, 07:04 AM   #10

Lovely image. Kilchurn truly is a magnificent place to be.

It feels a bit strange though that the reflection in the water is brighter than the sky. Have you tried the image with a brigher sky?

Wim
09-23-2015, 07:35 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wpvv Quote
Lovely image. Kilchurn truly is a magnificent place to be.

It feels a bit strange though that the reflection in the water is brighter than the sky. Have you tried the image with a brigher sky?

Wim
Thanks. Well actually I have already done that, a little bit. The reflection and the sky are in the same exposure. Other than that the two 'highlight' areas have had identical treatment. I'm not sure the reflections are brighter than the sky, just that the slight mist on the water and light breeze riffles are accentuating the white in the reflection and the colours in the sky are largely missing the whites. The correlating bright areas in the sky vs the reflection look slightly brighter to me.
09-23-2015, 07:41 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great shot of that Castle. Not an angle we see too much, as you had to go down the Loch a bit (past the places most take images from) to achieve it. Having the Sun at that angle/time is perfect to both take out the powerlines and highlight the hills/mountains behind.

One of the best of that Castle I have seen, and better than ones I've taken.

09-23-2015, 08:01 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Great shot of that Castle. Not an angle we see too much, as you had to go down the Loch a bit (past the places most take images from) to achieve it. Having the Sun at that angle/time is perfect to both take out the powerlines and highlight the hills/mountains behind.

One of the best of that Castle I have seen, and better than ones I've taken.

Thanks Lauren,

Yes it was a difficult spot to get to. Climbing over a road barrier and hacking through bracken and brambles to find a small window through the trees from the escarpment above the railway line. The best spot for this angle is in a private garden hence my all terrain approach.
09-23-2015, 10:06 AM   #14

Is the sign still there at the railway saying 'stop, look, listen'? That is certainly what you have been doing - bright sky or not ;-)
09-23-2015, 10:33 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wpvv Quote
Is the sign still there at the railway saying 'stop, look, listen'? That is certainly what you have been doing - bright sky or not ;-)
No the level crossing has been closed to pedestrians now. There's a path under the railway bridge by the river orchy. This photo was taken from the north shore just before going into Lochawe Village itself.