Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Next Macro Purchase: Talcum Powder
Posted By: Mike Cash, 06-21-2008, 05:18 AM

This morning I had some time to kill after arriving at my customer's place, so I walked around the neighborhood a bit. I found some flower pots out in front of a business so I decided to have another go at proving it is possible to do manual focus, manual stop-down, handheld macro shots. I always knew that bees like flowers, but I had no idea that ants are also fond of them.

Apparently I need to buy and take along some talcum powder to tone down the shiny asses they have; I could make out my reflection in them.

All S-M-C Takumar 105/2.8 on 57mm of extension tubes

Views: 1,369
06-21-2008, 05:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I know how hard it is to shoot in such a difficult situation where these ants move in an agile fashion.
06-21-2008, 06:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I used to think macro nature photography was very relaxed and laid-back.

That was before I tried it.
06-21-2008, 02:19 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Nice pics Mike! I've never seen such shiny-assed ants before. I can see your reflection!

I always use a manual focus lens for my macro work and I enjoy the results I often achieve. However, to watch me take the pictures must be very entertaining or disturbing, depending on your tolerance of cussing, overweight, middle-aged, male photographers! I roll around and kneel on the grass or sidewalks, hold my breath when I click the shutter to avoid shaking, and then cuss like a sailor when the freakin' bugs move too frickin' quick in the wrong direction! Argh! Honestly, I'm having a great time!