Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Cape Cod Meets Galveston Bay
Posted By: Sailor, 02-07-2007, 05:11 PM

Seeing Ken's great site with Down East pictures of buoys huddled in the winter waiting for use reminded me of a shot I took when sailing on Galveston Bay last October. It shows a classic New England catboat - a Marshall Cat - approaching a classical Texas gas/oil rig perched in shallow water. We don't encounter many catboats down here, but I remember seeing them all over the place when I lived in Boston.

Another shot I grabbed the same afternoon as my wife steered "Cut Time" our Texas-classical Catalina 30 into the Kemah Channel heading for the marina and cocktail hour.

Won't be long till we start sailing again here in Texas!!

Jer
Views: 3,472
02-07-2007, 09:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice contrast between the dark oil rig and the very white cat.
02-07-2007, 10:05 PM   #3

Have you tried cropping this to get a kind of "Beauty and the Beast" juxtapositioning between the yacht and the ugly rig?
02-08-2007, 05:11 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rolly Quote
Have you tried cropping this to get a kind of "Beauty and the Beast" juxtapositioning between the yacht and the ugly rig?
Rolly, here is a tighter crop - I think it does work better.

Here's a closer shot of the boat alone.

Thanks,

Jer

02-08-2007, 05:12 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
Nice contrast between the dark oil rig and the very white cat.
Hey, thanks, Clarence.

Jer
02-08-2007, 05:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Only in Texas...

...nice capture Jer, Galveston's nice, but the entire coast is too humid!

Interesting boat, never could identify the different types, now railroad locomotives are a different matter.
02-08-2007, 05:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I like that tighter crop too. Puts more emphasis on the subjects.

02-08-2007, 08:07 PM   #8
Forum Member

Great shots. I really like cat boats. I have sailed scows with a cat rigged marconi sail, but never a classic New England cat boat. Would like to try it sometime.

Will
02-08-2007, 08:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Jer,
Love the shots! Lots of Cat boats in Boston and lower New England, not so much in Maine. They are great sailing boats, especially on a reach. Hope to get down to Hinkley Yachts next month and take some shots of them in production.

Thanks for posting,
02-08-2007, 08:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Jer,
Love the shots! Lots of Cat boats in Boston and lower New England, not so much in Maine. They are great sailing boats, especially on a reach. Hope to get down to Hinkley Yachts next month and take some shots of them in production.

Thanks for posting,
02-08-2007, 08:46 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Please do!

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Jer,

Thanks for posting,
Ken: Hinkley . . . oh man. The masters of sailboat building . . . I can't wait to see your pictures. All I'll ever be able to do is look . . . . I don't have a few million available at the moment to buy one.

Jer
02-08-2007, 09:25 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
*snip*

Won't be long till we start sailing again here in Texas!!

Jer

Jer, you really know how to hurt a guy! we won't be sailing here till at least May! :cries:

Nice cat btw, owned one as a youngster, not a Marshal cat, small 17 footer, couldn't point worth a damn but was great off the wind and fairly stable in a blow. And easy to single hand. None of the cats can point, no jib, but they do real well on a reach. And the centerboard makes them great for claming and gunk holing.

NaCl(the heck with LBA! I'm gonna buy another boat!)H2O
02-08-2007, 09:33 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ken

Hinkley! Now that's the way to travel! My first "real" boat was Maine built, Jonesport Sloop re-rigged as a ketch at some point. Built in Jonesport Maine probably before the Depression. Someone put in a small inboard aux in it but because of the internal framing the shaft came out at an angle to the centerline. It was ok in forward, but soon as you put in in reverse the damn thing would make a gentle turn to port, no matter what way the wheel was turned...despite all it's quirks, (and leaks!) I loved that boat.

NaCl(boat= a hole in the water surrounded by wood or fiberglass into which you pour scads of money)H2O +
02-08-2007, 09:59 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Wow, Those are nice shots, Sailor!

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
NaCl(boat= a hole in the water surrounded by wood or fiberglass into which you pour scads of money)H2O +
LOL - Salty, that just made my day! Never owned a boat but that could just well sum up what I think of boats if I ever can afford one.
02-09-2007, 11:27 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Ken

No kidding, and they say racing a sailboat seriously is like standing in a cold shower shredding Thousand dollar bills (for those that don't sail, a thousand dollars is referred to as a "boat buck").

One good thing about owning a sailboat (even a very modest one like mine): they make LBA and GAS seem (just seem) less expensive than they really are.

Jer