Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Blue Heron
Lens: Pentax DA* 300mm F/4 ED (IF) SDM + 1.4x HD DA AF Rear Converter AW Camera: K5 iis Photo Location: Santa Rosa, CA ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F9 
Posted By: PeggyR, 09-26-2015, 08:05 PM

Am I the only one who believes that birds are perfectly well aware that a pathetic amateur is crouching on shore, waiting for for said bird to do something interesting so said amateur can go home and have breakfast? It took nearly half an hour for this one to stop staring vacantly into space and decide to fluff his/her feathers. My knees will hurt for a week.

Attached Images

Views: 977
09-27-2015, 01:28 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
that birds are perfectly well aware that a pathetic amateur is crouching on shore
I don't want to disillusion you, but it really couldn't care less, when it comes to posing for you or getting fed... what do you think takes priority.

Still good imagery well worth the wait.
09-27-2015, 01:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks.

Yes, I guess human comfort is pretty far down their list of priorities. But my knees still hurt!
09-27-2015, 01:44 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If it makes you feel any better, that heron was likely getting cramped up too,
They hunt by standing very still and letting small fish come near them, then they strike surprisingly fast with their head and neck extended
Not likely that this one was hunting from that float, they are usually wading when they are hunting, but they rely on staying still to camouflage from predators too, so he may have thought he was hiding from you.

Good shots none the less, hope your knees forgive you!

09-27-2015, 01:44 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by PeggyR Quote
But my knees still hurt!
Have you tried those workmans trousers... where you can slip pads into pockets at the knees to help give a bit of cushioning?
09-27-2015, 09:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
At least your heron didn't go flying off when you got within 200ft of it. This year was pretty much a wash for heron pics for me, kayak or not.
09-28-2015, 08:14 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I snuck up on one in a Washington State ferry, this guy took off right in front of me as the boat was docking, He was perched on one of the big fixed bumpers at the slip.
Simply amazing how fast this big bird can move and get airborne.
K3, 55-300 @ 300, cropped a bit

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
10-03-2015, 06:07 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K-Three Quote
I snuck up on one in a Washington State ferry, this guy took off right in front of me as the boat was docking, He was perched on one of the big fixed bumpers at the slip.
Simply amazing how fast this big bird can move and get airborne.
K3, 55-300 @ 300, cropped a bit
K-Three: beautiful shot. (I'm about to order a K-3!)
10-04-2015, 07:16 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PeggyR Quote
Am I the only one who believes that birds are perfectly well aware that a pathetic amateur is crouching on shore, waiting for for said bird to do something interesting so said amateur can go home and have breakfast? It took nearly half an hour for this one to stop staring vacantly into space and decide to fluff his/her feathers. My knees will hurt for a week.
Great shots. These birds are really hard to shoot, they can spot you from far away and when you pick up the camera they immediately fly away. I've been trying for a shot like that for a while now and only recently did i manage to come up somewhat closer than i thought possible. I really need a super telephoto for that...

Good job
10-04-2015, 02:39 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by takis63 Quote
Great shots.

These birds are really hard to shoot, they can spot you from far away and when you pick up the camera they immediately fly away.
Thank you.

And I thought my cats were ornery!
10-04-2015, 03:42 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's true that they are very aware of what is going on around them, they have to be, both to avoid predators and to hunt. They seem to be most sensitive to motion first, then to size of the object.
but they do get adapted to humans too, This guy was in a small pond at a big park we have near us, the pond is ringed by a walking trail, I set up with my 50-500 on a tripod at eye-level and banged away, as he was preening. I know he was aware of me, but very unconcerned. There were lots of families and kids running around behind me, and I moved several times to find better backgrounds and light for the shot. I even walked away for about a half hour and came back, he was still in the same spot. This is cropped a bit from 500

The ones I see regularly around our ferry terminal seem to be watching all the people around the dock, and have places they can sit near the boat and terminal, but not readily accessible by mere humans.
We have other areas near us that they hang out, along shore lines and in some small ponds. I've successfully shot them with 300 and 500mm just by carefully walking toward them.
Some are flightier than others, Different birds, different days.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
10-04-2015, 03:55 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Great shots above all - these can be elusive.
Following are a few shots of an individual bird (Australian version) from the Cairns Marina that seems somewhat habituated to people and tolerated me getting within 4 or 5 metres. K3 & FA100-300

Perhaps a dedicated GBH thread is needed.