Patio Rose Garden
Posted By: rmtagg, 06-21-2008, 04:10 PM

Let me know if this is a keeper? if you would Thanks

Views: 2,021
06-21-2008, 04:14 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
[QUOTE=rmtagg;273916]Let me know if this is a keeper? if you would Thanks

Yes. Very nice. I'd crop below the top of the fence where it gets kind of busy with the chair. It provides too many focal points.

But yes, I like it. Are you doing PP to get to this, or are you shooting oof?

woof!
06-21-2008, 04:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

my 2 cents

if you are looking for something abstract then yes the picture is a keeper. I however wouldnt since there is nothing in the picture that is in focus so the picture doesnt work for me
06-21-2008, 05:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It is so beautiful. Like an art piece.

06-21-2008, 05:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
[QUOTE=woof;273917]
QuoteOriginally posted by rmtagg Quote
Let me know if this is a keeper? if you would Thanks

Yes. Very nice. I'd crop below the top of the fence where it gets kind of busy with the chair. It provides too many focal points.

But yes, I like it. Are you doing PP to get to this, or are you shooting oof?

woof!
Thanks for the feedback Woof It is intentional work No PP

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
if you are looking for something abstract then yes the picture is a keeper. I however wouldnt since there is nothing in the picture that is in focus so the picture doesnt work for me
Thats good feedback and I know that this style isn't for every one

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
It is so beautiful. Like an art piece.
I hope so, lol Thats the objective so we will see if this is gallery bound
06-21-2008, 05:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It works for me, I love it!
06-21-2008, 06:31 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like this as it is - I would want to see it from a distance in poster size (hope it would print large).

I like the color transition from the upper 1/3 - you lose that if you crop to the fence.

If it were a stained-glass piece in a gallery I would buy it to hang in my garden room.

First, your style gives me some neat things to try to do with a camera, just to see if I can.

Second, your photos make me recognize that to take interseting shots you have to have intersting things (or go to interesting places).

06-21-2008, 07:08 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I like it a lot!

The only thing I would do, which may be against your photog morales is to clone out the top-left rose and maybe the top-right rose. Instead of cloning you could also mask them and descrease the saturation to make them blend into the background more.

I like the fence, the chair, and of course the near "subject" of the roses. The upper roses, though, tend to fight my eyes for attention.

Of course, a crop just below the right upper rose would work, but I would personally hate to lose the top of that fence and the chair -- I really like how they add to the picture without vying for attention.
06-21-2008, 08:37 PM   #9
Damn Brit

I like the effect Rosemary but personally I think the picture is too long. There isn't enough colour in the middle of the picture to link the top and the bottom.
Gary
06-21-2008, 09:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I scrolled up and down a few times and tend to agree with Gary. I really like the bottom part of this piece. The top looks okay, but the middle is kind of barren...
06-21-2008, 09:41 PM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I like it as it is. I see the points others are making and they have some good thoughts but for me, it works just like it is. You're trying to capture a much more artistic work than the typical photo. Comparing this to paintings, there are often barren areas and some distractions. That's fine and I think this works along those lines. I admire the creative aspect of what you are trying to do.

So how did the voting go?

Btw, I have been given the same opportunity here. I entered 15 shots at a local judged exibit and was asked to display in a local gallery that sells the work. So now it's off to spend some serious money on printing and frames.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 06-21-2008 at 11:28 PM.
06-21-2008, 10:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I like it as it is. I see the points others are making and they have some good thought but for me, it works just like it is. You're trying to capture a much more artistic work than the typical phot. Comparing this to paintings, there are often barren areas and some distractions. That's fine and I think this works along those lines. I admire the creative aspect of what you are trying to do.

So how did the voting go?

Btw, I have been given the same opportunity here. I entered 15 shots at a local judged exibit and was asked to display in a local gallery that sells the work. So now it's off to spend some serious money on printing and frames.
YAY! Peter whoot Congrats Ok. my 2 fav places for printing and I am sure you have your own are zenfolio and myphotopipe, just sharing. I so love both of these companies Next where can we see what pics will be hung??? I am so excited for you !
Thank you for our kind comments on my work. Sometimes it is hard because photographers are use to things being in focus and certain rules that sometimes dont apply to this style of work. And too it is not a style everyone loves but I find all feedback to be useful. It makes me look at my work more objectively and that makes me grow

Now as for voting I wont know until sometime this week if I made the top 20 Keeping fingers crossed. And I sincerely thank everyone who was kind enough to take the time to help me.

Other news....the pic that sold opening night of my first juried show...............was bought by a collector!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No how very exciting is that!
06-21-2008, 10:33 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
I scrolled up and down a few times and tend to agree with Gary. I really like the bottom part of this piece. The top looks okay, but the middle is kind of barren...
alan I thank you for your feedback feedback makes me look at my work and challenges me to do better or be aware of more things when I am shooting

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I like the effect Rosemary but personally I think the picture is too long. There isn't enough colour in the middle of the picture to link the top and the bottom.
Gary
Hey Gary I so want to get this printed BIG! LOL I have to find where to do this since it can print huge! and I mean huge Hm I was thinking that the vertical lines in the fence draws your eye through the picture but that may not be the case for everyone and I totally respect and appreciate your feedback Thank you

QuoteOriginally posted by cputeq Quote
I like it a lot!

The only thing I would do, which may be against your photog morales is to clone out the top-left rose and maybe the top-right rose. Instead of cloning you could also mask them and descrease the saturation to make them blend into the background more.

I like the fence, the chair, and of course the near "subject" of the roses. The upper roses, though, tend to fight my eyes for attention.

Of course, a crop just below the right upper rose would work, but I would personally hate to lose the top of that fence and the chair -- I really like how they add to the picture without vying for attention.
Thank you so much for your feedback too Glad you like the chair, it is an intrical part of the scene. Right now I am working hard to teach myself and figure out how to do this style with out manipulation in software. My thoughts would be that anyone can learn to probably do something like this in soft ware. But how many can do this straight from their camera??
I dont necessarily have anything against it but for me it looses what I see as what is special which is no manipulation to get the look besides brightening and resizing or some cropping. This to me and art galleries is what makes the work more collectible and desirable since it is not digital art. At least that is the story so far

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I like this as it is - I would want to see it from a distance in poster size (hope it would print large).

I like the color transition from the upper 1/3 - you lose that if you crop to the fence.

If it were a stained-glass piece in a gallery I would buy it to hang in my garden room.

First, your style gives me some neat things to try to do with a camera, just to see if I can.

Second, your photos make me recognize that to take interseting shots you have to have intersting things (or go to interesting places).
I found your comments very interesting and thank you so much. Wouldn't this be pretty in stained glass!
I have to spill the beans a bit here. A lot of the pics I take are on my street or in my yard or in town. They are everyday places that people pass by. This pic is a patio of a pub where an awards ceremony was held. I did not see one other person take a pic of this setting, not one. And yet it is beautiful. So sometimes seeing differently what is around us can lead to some fun or fab pics There is a stone wall in town and while at a red light I saw these tiny flowers growing out of it. what a great shot and yet people walk buy it every day with out a thought.
I guess doing a lot of macro work gives you a different perspective of whats around you. LOL Guess I am saying is even I never knew how many interesting and beautiful things were right around me that just went unnoticed until I got my camera Aren't cameras wonderful ?

QuoteOriginally posted by Curbster54 Quote
It works for me, I love it!
Thank you so much Glad you like it. Sometimes can take 20 shots and not get what I want, sometimes 1 shot is all it takes This style is a work in constant progress and a fine line between the trash can and the art gallery, lol
06-21-2008, 10:57 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting things and places

RM: So commenting on the art rather than the technical photography - because I am just a viewer and not accomplished enough to be a critic - it really helps a lot to view the image full-screen and sit back about 8 feet from the monitor (Right click / View Image in Windows).

Doing so the image actually looks less abstract (still has the feel of a late 19th C. impressionist, but not quite so ethereal as, say, later - 20's Giverny - Monet). I wouldn't call this abstract - it is recognizable as a garden and fence with a patio in the background, but you have made the light and color the subject, rather than the scene.

There is depth to the image when viewed this way that can't be appreciated when scrolling up and down. The bars of the fence don't interrupt the visual path and divide the space so much either.

You are absolutely correct - this needs to be printed large and hung

QuoteOriginally posted by rmtagg Quote
A lot of the pics I take are on my street or in my yard or in town.
Peter has PM'ed me more than once to open my eyes - and seems your comment is on that line.

Surely one can walk right by interesting things every day, and most people do . . . but . . . one must live in an interesting place to walk by them!!

Anyway, you have color and light nailed.

pc

Last edited by monochrome; 06-21-2008 at 11:35 PM.
06-21-2008, 11:08 PM   #15
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Not to derail your thread but here are 2 examples.